2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I interviewed Nov 30th (I submitted my secondary mid September (haha totally my fault); it was marked complete early October. Interview Invite Nov 4th). Since I know someone who was accepted from the last batch (December 16th) who interviewed on the 14th of Nov, I would say that this batch would go from mid of November to early December.

hmm thanks - if that is the case I will probably miss the cut!

Members don't see this ad.

In response to "People don't share notes unless with a few friends or even just keep them for themselves. My class for example set up an elective system for note taking for this block where each person covers a certain lecture and shares. The people in that system probably have to take notes for just a few classes yet that system is closed off to outsiders and the majority of the class will not benefit. Is it really that hard to consider taking notes for a few classes and sharing it with the entire class?"

The statement that people don't share notes is absolutely incorrect:
Before each exam several summaries, review ppts, objectives answers, etc are sent out to our class (often crashing our emails). Many of these are also put onto WUMSweb.

I can say this with absolute certainty because I have been one of the students sending out these notes/objectives, as have several of my friends.

The system described above is actually something many of us are really excited about!
The entire class was emailed ~5-6 times asking for people willing to contribute to this.
We invited *everyone* in the class to participate - it's basically a notes service. You do 3-4 hrs of lecture which translates to 9-12 hours of actual work-time (it takes a long time to do perfect dictation of a lecture that matches up well with the slides etc)

We are going to open these notes up to the class the weekend before exam week because we thought it would be the right thing to do. Of course we want everyone to do well in courses - but we also needed incentive for those that are putting in 3-4x more work per lecture they are assigned.

The only way we could ensure that people would take the time to do that was to have a closed system during the majority of the block where each lecture could be double checked for completeness and those that participated would be rewarded before it was "crunch time." It was also required for each of us to do one dictation the week before exams (including this week's POM exam or the Neuro/Psych exam).
It's a rather large price to pay - putting that extra few hours into one lecture right before exam week. This incentivized system was the only way we knew to make the system work... But that doesn't mean we want others to suffer! Once the need for this incentive to write proper notes is lifted, when it gets down to really studying the weekend before exams and actual exam week, we will of course want everyone to benefit from them!

All that being said - if you have another idea to create the incentive for people to write out these lectures word-for-word while sharing with those in the class that didn't want to participate - please please tell the admins of WUSMWORKS. It would be awesome to be able to do both, but it was the best compromise we could come up with.

Also - sorry that you're having a rough time of it right now. Hopefully some of us remember that what really matters is helping each other finish out this year.

A bit off the current topic, but does anyone know how many more interview invites are left or how much longer their interview season lasts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not too sure man sorry!! However, I know that they interview until mid March or so and they interview every week day. Also, every interview session has about 10-12 people (mine had 12 I think). You can therefore expect another 200-250 interviews maybe (I maybe WAY off)?

Hey, for current students/those accepted. . . we should just wait on their signal (e.g. a letter) to start all the financial aid business, right? I filled out my FAFSA, but I'm paranoid about losing money already :p

Hey, for current students/those accepted. . . we should just wait on their signal (e.g. a letter) to start all the financial aid business, right? I filled out my FAFSA, but I'm paranoid about losing money already :p

yea their finaid website is not updated for 2012 so you can't turn everything in yet.

I am not too sure man sorry!! However, I know that they interview until mid March or so and they interview every week day. Also, every interview session has about 10-12 people (mine had 12 I think). You can therefore expect another 200-250 interviews maybe (I maybe WAY off)?

Thanks, man. Good luck.

Just got invited for an interview! Complete sometime in November, sent an update/letter of interest over the weekend.

There's still hope!

I have way lower stats than almost everyone here (and probably I'm also the only one here to also apply to DO schools), but I just got an interview! I know my chances aren't great, but am very excited to have the opportunity to go to WashU Med.

Does that mean that your parents have gotten both of their W2s already? I want to fill out the FAFSA, but i know that, at least here, they tell you not to do it off of estimates, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah ok. Guess I don't have too much to wait for anyhow...

Interviewed in October, praying my update letter meant something to them =\

I have way lower stats than almost everyone here (and probably I'm also the only one here to also apply to DO schools), but I just got an interview! I know my chances aren't great, but am very excited to have the opportunity to go to WashU Med.

Congratulations! I'm still holding on to the hope of an interview invite with a lower MCAT. Good luck on your interview.

I'll be out of town tomorrow night, possibly without internet access, so I just wrote down my WashU login info so my bf can check for me. I will need to know...

Hi everyone! After months of waiting, I finally received an interview invite! Since it's so late in the game, I was wondering if I even had a chance of an acceptance or if I am now fighting for a wait-list position. I am low on cash and would like to avoid spending money for a flight, hotel room, etc. if my chances of acceptance are nonexistent. Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone! After months of waiting, I finally received an interview invite! Since it's so late in the game, I was wondering if I even had a chance of an acceptance or if I am now fighting for a wait-list position. I am low on cash and would like to avoid spending money for a flight, hotel room, etc. if my chances of acceptance are nonexistent. Thanks for your help!
I can't comment on chances of acceptance, but they have free rooms in Olin Hall. If you or your parents have frequent flyer miles, you might be able to book a free flight.

Congrats on the interview. There are still acceptances to be given out, but obviously there are less spots now. But you definitely still have a shot. :luck:

hmm, usually ppl post acceptances right away... does this mean today wasn't actually the release date for decisions? hmmmmm..................o_O

hmm, usually ppl post acceptances right away... does this mean today wasn't actually the release date for decisions? hmmmmm..................o_O

Sorry guys, looks like tshoo on mdapps got in. Maybe next date yeah? Good luck to all of us.

Next day I think is the 27th of Jan (in two weeks).....AUUHHHH >_<

can anyone confirm this?

also does anyone know what range of dates were given decisions last night? and what the latest date considered would be for this next date?

I can't comment on chances of acceptance, but they have free rooms in Olin Hall. If you or your parents have frequent flyer miles, you might be able to book a free flight.

Great advice, thanks!

Just got invited for an interview! Complete sometime in November, sent an update/letter of interest over the weekend.

There's still hope!

Where did you send you letter of interest? Just to the contact email address on the application portal?

Accepted! So excited :)! Congrats to the others, and good luck to those still waiting

Interviewed on November 21

Hey I was just wondering, does anyone know if WashU releases ALL of their acceptances pre-march (like rolling) and then sends out only waitlists / rejections during the month of march? Or do they also save a lot of the acceptances for march? I was just curious.

Also is it known if you are not selected during one round, are you still in for subsequent ones?

Thanks!

Received my rejection today via snail mail. Dated 1/10, and I was complete 10/12.

Hey I was just wondering, does anyone know if WashU releases ALL of their acceptances pre-march (like rolling) and then sends out only waitlists / rejections during the month of march? Or do they also save a lot of the acceptances for march? I was just curious.

I can't say whether they give out all the acceptances before they make the waitlist, but they definitely don't save a lot of the spaces in the class until them.

Also is it known if you are not selected during one round, are you still in for subsequent ones?

Yes, you'd be under consideration at every meeting of the admissions committee.

Got the rejection letter too. Complete late August. Rejection letter dated January 10th. Good luck to everyone!

Accepted. For those of you keeping track, I interviewed in late november.

Best of luck everyone!

For those who stayed at the Olin Hall, did you bring shampoo & such?

For those who stayed at the Olin Hall, did you bring shampoo & such?

Yes, but IIRC, when I checked in, the security guard asked me if I needed anything along the lines of soap or shampoo. I would err on the side of caution though and pack some toiletries.

I can't say whether they give out all the acceptances before they make the waitlist, but they definitely don't save a lot of the spaces in the class until them.

Yes, you'd be under consideration at every meeting of the admissions committee.

Cool thanks!

So, quick but necessary question...

WashU obviously has a lot of financial aid to offset the high tuition. In particular, I know that there are a ton of merit scholarships compared to other programs. I was curious on the logistics. If one were qualified for such a scholarship, would you be immediately notified upon acceptance? Or would such an offer only emerge after financial aid documentation is totally complete (currently not possible since only the 2011-2012 documents are present)?

Additionally, even if one were not to receive a full scholarship, how much burden does the school generally take on for someone with high credentials and low parental contribution? I saw some details on "75% tuition paid" on MDApplicants for someone with my MCAT score, but was not sure on the frequency of such offers.

Thanks so much in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.