2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, they're VERY nice and understanding of our neurotic tendencies. I emailed them asking why my page said incomplete when there were check marks beside each of my required items. Peggy from admissions wrote back promptly to alleviate my fears, reminding me that it takes everything 3 days to reflect online and to email her if things didn't resolve in a few days.

If you're nervous that something may be wrong, just ask.

Okay thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Wash U tells you who your interviewer is ahead of time? I am interviewing in a little over a week and haven't heard anything about it yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the chances of getting an acceptance with an interview in november? washu is rolling?

what are the chances of getting an acceptance with an interview in november? washu is rolling?

We are rolling, and a November interview is still early - the first interviews were today. So it's all good

Got a random letter from WUSTL congratulating me on my stats and asking me to consider applying to their MD/Ph.D program. I didn't apply to this school, and then I sort of freaked out and second-guessed myself, like geez, maybe I should have...?

Anybody else get this? I am wondering how "automated" these are, like maybe everyone who breaks 35 or so on the MCAT gets one?

stats: U-grad 3.5/post bacc 3.66/MCAT 12/11/13 36R

Got a random letter from WUSTL congratulating me on my stats and asking me to consider applying to their MD/Ph.D program. I didn't apply to this school, and then I sort of freaked out and second-guessed myself, like geez, maybe I should have...?

Anybody else get this? I am wondering how "automated" these are, like maybe everyone who breaks 35 or so on the MCAT gets one?

stats: U-grad 3.5/post bacc 3.66/MCAT 12/11/13 36R

Yep, they're automatically sent to a number of people with good MCAT scores. If you aren't applying MD/PhD, or don't want to apply to Wash U.... then don't worry about it :)

My itinerary just popped up on the website and I am wondering if is there only one interview per applicant scheduled throughout the day? Or, is there a second "blind" interview that I'll learn about on interview day? Thanks!

i think some people get one and some people get two.

My itinerary just popped up on the website and I am wondering if is there only one interview per applicant scheduled throughout the day? Or, is there a second "blind" interview that I'll learn about on interview day? Thanks!

If there's only 1 interview listed on your itinerary, then you only have 1 to worry about. A minority of applicants get 2 interviews, but it's as a control mechanism (not a reflection on the applicant), and it would be listed on the itinerary. Good luck!

If there's only 1 interview listed on your itinerary, then you only have 1 to worry about. A minority of applicants get 2 interviews, but it's as a control mechanism (not a reflection on the applicant), and it would be listed on the itinerary. Good luck!
I hope that I only get one! Not that I don't just love interviews... :laugh:

I hope that I only get one! Not that I don't just love interviews... :laugh:

I have yet to talk to anyone who actually had a rough interview here. All the interviewers here work more with the "casual chat" type interview than the "grill you about ethics/health care reform/whatever" type deal. So no worries :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to talk to anyone who actually had a rough interview here. All the interviewers here work more with the "casual chat" type interview than the "grill you about ethics/health care reform/whatever" type deal. So no worries :)

What she said. Interviews here are super chill. I was one of the lucky few with two interviews and I'm glad I had them both. Both interviewers were super nice and it was nice to hear from them about the school and city and get different viewpoints.

Hi, does the itinerary show the interviewer status immediately? I had to reschedule my interview date so my itinerary was manually updated later. Or doe s it show the interviewer only right before the interview? Thanks!

Where do you see the itinerary? My interview is in a week and I can't seem to find it...

Yep. They said ~30% get a second interview. Often the second interview is super short (15 min).

Where do you see the itinerary? My interview is in a week and I can't seem to find it...

In the email they sent after the interview date confirmation, it said three days before the interview they will send the itinerary.

Just got an interview invite today :)) I tried picking out some dates, but no information about their availability comes up. How do I find out which dates are still open and when is the earliest that I can interview?

Thanks!

Just got an interview invite today :)) I tried picking out some dates, but no information about their availability comes up. How do I find out which dates are still open and when is the earliest that I can interview?

Thanks!

Just curious- when were you complete here? And of course, congrats!!

Thanks!

The scheduling site is kind of obscure... They only gave me three dates to choose from, all green boxes on the calendar. Maybe try calling the adm office to pick your own date? congrats and GL

Thanks, naiomisky! I'll definitely call the office tomorrow morning.

As for when I submitted the secondary--about a month ago, Sept. 14th. Best of luck!

Interviewed 10/3: best interview I've had so far, without a doubt. :) Incredibly friendly and conversational. Those of you heading soon to St. Louis. . . good luck, and have a good time!

Interviewed 10/3: best interview I've had so far, without a doubt. :) Incredibly friendly and conversational. Those of you heading soon to St. Louis. . . good luck, and have a good time!

woot! we're doing our job then :D

I had a similar experience today. I felt great walking out of the interview, and I really loved Wash U. St. Louis seems pretty cool, as well.

Rejected for MSTP via e-mail this past Friday afternoon, no surprise with my MCAT. Still technically in the run for MD, but unlikely. GL to the rest.

Interview invite! I'm honored. Complete mid-August, 37S/3.9 gpa.

Interview invite! I'm honored. Complete mid-August, 37S/3.9 gpa.

Congrats to you! This is pretty encouraging for me to see. I have pretty similar stats and was complete in early August. I was beginning to think I'm finished at WashU...Maybe not! Good luck at your interview.

I just saw that I had an interview offer from Wash U when I checked my status page! Only problem is that I have interviews in other states the days before and after those available.

Could anyone tell me the basic schedule for the interview day? How early does the day start, and what time would I be able to fly out of St. Louis after the interview? Thanks so much!

You need to be there by 7:45 AM. I was finished with my interview at about 1:45 PM, but there was one person who interviewed after me at 2 PM, and they were probably done by 3 PM. So that's probably the latest you could be done by.

i know the website states that they accept inquiries if you are going to the "Saint Louis area." do you think going to wisconsin or nebraska counts? i'm coming from california, btw.

i may be overanalyzing the definition of "St Louis area." :oops:

i know the website states that they accept inquiries if you are going to the "Saint Louis area." do you think going to wisconsin or nebraska counts? i'm coming from california, btw.

i may be overanalyzing the definition of "St Louis area." :oops:

i'd say it's worth it to you (being a cali dude myself). i'd recommend omitting your actual location and letting them know you'll be "in town." it'll save you money in the long run and increase the chances of an earlier decision, IMHO.

What are my chances at WashU, with a relatively low MCAT?

3.85 GPA/33M + Ph.D. + 10 publications + 1 book chapter + 1 patent + strong LORs + good EC + little clinical experience:oops: + very late applicant:(

I've spoken with a few deans and would say you've got a shot. People tend to overanalyze their MCAT average. They really do give the entire application a good look.

I have an interview at WashU on Monday (was able to snag a last minute cancellation after getting an invite yesterday), and I was wondering whether people's impression was that the interviewers were going in blind or had they read the interviewee's application?

I have an interview at WashU on Monday (was able to snag a last minute cancellation after getting an invite yesterday), and I was wondering whether people's impression was that the interviewers were going in blind or had they read the interviewee's application?

the application is available to them before the interview. good luck!

I've spoken with a few deans and would say you've got a shot. People tend to overanalyze their MCAT average. They really do give the entire application a good look.

Yes, I would agree. We have 2 people with PhD's in my class. They do value a lot of research experience here. And I know a number of my classmates submitted late, as well. :luck:

My interviewer REALLY knew my application. It made for an awesome interview.

Yes, I would agree. We have 2 people with PhD's in my class. They do value a lot of research experience here. And I know a number of my classmates submitted late, as well. :luck:

Thank you!!

I recently started working with a physician on a clinical research project. The physician is willing to recommend me. Is it acceptable if he contacts a WashU admission's member to give me an "informal" recommendation? Or is it better to write a letter directly to the school with out going through AMCAS? Thank you!

I also received a letter in the mail today encouraging me to apply to WashU. My question is, is it worth it this late in the cycle? My numbers are just below their class averages, but I don't have any research experience. I also have minimal volunteering experience, but I worked through college and have now worked in an ER for over three years while taking post-bacc classes. I know I didn't get accepted to one school already due to the lack of EC's and I feel like any top school would say I'm not rounded enough. Although in my defense I didn't decide on med school until two and a half years ago and since then I have taken every pre-req for med school while working at least 24 hours a week. So it's not like I had a bunch of free time to throw in a research project.

I recently started working with a physician on a clinical research project. The physician is willing to recommend me. Is it acceptable if he contacts a WashU admission's member to give me an "informal" recommendation? Or is it better to write a letter directly to the school with out going through AMCAS? Thank you!

I'd think a letter would be your best bet there. But you can always call the admissions office and ask them what you should do.

I also received a letter in the mail today encouraging me to apply to WashU. My question is, is it worth it this late in the cycle? My numbers are just below their class averages, but I don't have any research experience. I also have minimal volunteering experience, but I worked through college and have now worked in an ER for over three years while taking post-bacc classes. I know I didn't get accepted to one school already due to the lack of EC's and I feel like any top school would say I'm not rounded enough. Although in my defense I didn't decide on med school until two and a half years ago and since then I have taken every pre-req for med school while working at least 24 hours a week. So it's not like I had a bunch of free time to throw in a research project.

It is pretty late in the cycle, so I'm not sure. However, WashU doesn't only focus on research. Yes, it's a research-heavy school, but there are a lot of people in my class who have never done any sort of research. And WashU does love people from non-traditional paths. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the research. I'd be more wary of applying so late. That being said, I do know people in my class who turned in secondaries and such on the deadline. And they're still here. :shrug:

Interview Invite!! Complete in July so I thought I was out of the running.

So excited!!! :D

Does anyone know how our application is processed AFTER the interview? I am interviewing here on October 31st, and tbh, my MCAT score is MUCH much lower than their median. I am very surprised and humbled that I received an invite here. But I'm just wondering how I stand as an interviewee with a lower MCAT score than most others. Anyone have a clue?

Status
Not open for further replies.