2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how our application is processed AFTER the interview? I am interviewing here on October 31st, and tbh, my MCAT score is MUCH much lower than their median. I am very surprised and humbled that I received an invite here. But I'm just wondering how I stand as an interviewee with a lower MCAT score than most others. Anyone have a clue?

As I posted earlier, the admissions staff here truly utilizes a holistic approach to applications. (I met with a dean earlier this year to discuss the school's admissions processes.) The committee will be looking at everything, not just your MCAT score. The invite itself means they're interested. Just be yourself and try not to overanalyze or freak out. Good luck and congrats on the interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As I posted earlier, the admissions staff here truly utilizes a holistic approach to applications. (I met with a dean earlier this year to discuss the school's admissions processes.) The committee will be looking at everything, not just your MCAT score. The invite itself means they're interested. Just be yourself and try not to overanalyze or freak out. Good luck and congrats on the interview!

Thanks! : ) Also, do you know approx how many ppl get interviewed, and how many ppl get accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, when are the first acceptances generally released?

Yeah, it's mid-November for the first round of acceptances every year since WashU starts interviewing later than most schools.

In the past, the MSTP has told their interviewees what days they should expect decisions (generally Fridays). Those dates match up with the MD decision days. Either an interviewer will call you, or you can check your status page at midnight between Friday and Saturday, and it'll say something along the lines "Congrats! Now pay your deposit."

Either an interviewer will call you, or you can check your status page at midnight between Friday and Saturday, and it'll say something along the lines "Congrats! Now pay your deposit."
I'm honestly curious about the purpose of a deposit (especially a completely refundable one). Those $1000 non-refundable deposits for DO schools are scary, but these MD deposits are kind of dumb :rolleyes:

I would love to be invited to pay that deposit...

And yeah, the deposits are kind of dumb. From what I've heard, all they really do is create a mess of paperwork for the admissions office. Some MD schools have just stopped with the deposits for this reason. But in a way, I guess it does gauge interest and keep the less-interested from holding spaces.

For those of you guys who interviewed and stayed at Olin Hall, did you guys bring a sleeping bag or something? Or do they have beds with sheets and all ...

For those of you guys who interviewed and stayed at Olin Hall, did you guys bring a sleeping bag or something? Or do they have beds with sheets and all ...

They give you a pillow, sheets, blanket, and towels.

I'm honestly curious about the purpose of a deposit (especially a completely refundable one). Those $1000 non-refundable deposits for DO schools are scary, but these MD deposits are kind of dumb :rolleyes:

Yeah, idk. It is kind of silly. They aren't refundable beyond May 15th usually, but before that, I'm not really sure of their purpose.

interviewed here! loved it. everyone at Wash U is super nice and the interviews are pretty chill. i really hope i hear some news soon! wash U love me back!!!

I'm interviewing this Friday and I couldn't be more stressed and excited. Best wishes to everyone else applying, interviewing, and waiting. In my opinion, WashU is worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips on travelling to/from the airport? Was hoping to take the Light rail, but wasn't sure how quick/efficient that would be. (Interviewing on Monday!)

Any tips on travelling to/from the airport? Was hoping to take the Light rail, but wasn't sure how quick/efficient that would be. (Interviewing on Monday!)

Yep, Metrolink is your best option. The end of the line is at the airport, so just follow the signs to the stop and get your ticket at the machine. It's ~20 minutes from the airport to the central west end stop, then the building you're going to is just a short walk away. Directions from the stop to Olin should be provided at some point. Good luck! Prepare for an awesome day :)

how tough (see: time consuming) was teh secondary here?

my stats are good, ECs are good, publications, etc.

havne't been rejected from any other school but haven't heard back with an II either --> getting nervous! especially as atexas resident...

Last edited:
how tough (see: time consuming) was teh secondary here?

my stats are good, ECs are good, publications, etc.

havne't been rejected from any other school but haven't heard back with an II either --> getting nervous! especially as atexas resident...

The secondary? It didn't even have a required essay. Definitely wasn't that time consuming.

Do they do silent rejections or do you actually get an email or mail? It's been ~ 4months and have not heard anything...

Interview invite yesterday!!!

So so so so excited! For those who are interested, I was complete September 7th, when my MCAT scores came out. 3.8/36R.

Do they do silent rejections or do you actually get an email or mail? It's been ~ 4months and have not heard anything...

So I'm not totally sure I'm remembering correctly, but I believe they wait until January-ish to reject pre-interview (I'm assuming that's when all the interview spots are filled for sure) and May-ish to reject post-interview. They also create a waitlist at that time.

aw mannn i want nov 18th to come. I'll be on my toes that entire day. (I'm most likely not going to get any news. Sadly, I'll probably be checking my status non-stop until way after midnight.) Oh Wash U...four years ago, you seemed like an unattainable dream. Now that you've actually become a possibility, I can't help feeling wayyy tooo optimistic. This isn't good...

I interviewed the first day (10/3)... please, WashU, give me some love? :xf:

Hey ksmi or someone else,

Could please you comment on the preclinical curriculum?
-I remember the lady from the admissions office saying at the discussion in the morning that it's 1/3 independent learning, 1/3 small group, and 1/3 lecture. Does this sound about right?
-Also, how many hours of lecture and small group time every day/week?
-What time do you usually finish for the day?
-Some upperclassmen complained about board scores and the amount of time given to study these days. Do you know how much time is given now and if it may be increased? It looked like 6 weeks from my interview day materials, and I heard you can add vacation time from 4th year to add to that time.

Thanks and hope you're all enjoying the interviewee pizza nights :)

Hey guys, do you know how receptive WashU is to in the area emails? I just scheduled an interview for next week at SLU and I was wondering if I should send an email to them saying I'm in the area.

I'm gonna guess you still have about 2 weeks until they accept anyone just going off what they have done in previous years. :luck:
stuff from old threads:
-committee meets monthly (first time they meet is Nov.)
-few Nov. acceptances
-committee (which is 75 individuals according to WashU's website) is divided into regions
it looks like acceptances went out on the days that the MTSP board sent out acceptances (I'm guessing so the two boards can chat). This year [2010] the MTSP board sends out acceptances on November 19, December 17, January 14 & 28, and February 11.
From reading last year's thread it looks like your WUMSApply will reflect your acceptance after midnight on the days listed above (I guess there is some system update that occurs at midnight on Fridays). Additionally, some interviewers called last year to spread the good news.
according to USNWR, in 2010 they accepted 28.5% of interviewees

This year, the MSTP release dates have not been made clear. We can only speculate that they'll be around the same times. This means the first accepted applicants will get a call like 6pm on the 18th, or their status gets updated at 1am EST on the 19th?

I'll do this one at a time...

Hey ksmi or someone else,

Could please you comment on the preclinical curriculum?
-I remember the lady from the admissions office saying at the discussion in the morning that it's 1/3 independent learning, 1/3 small group, and 1/3 lecture. Does this sound about right?

I have no idea what "independent learning" is or what it means. The vast majority of learning is lecture-based. Anatomy, histology, and neurology in first year and pathology in second year have labs. Other classes have random case study small groups to reinforce lecture material. Anatomy is the only class that is more "group" time than lecture - maybe lab time is what they mean by "independent learning". If so, that break down still doesn't make sense to me. I'd say over all of first and second year at least 60% is lecture time.

-Also, how many hours of lecture and small group time every day/week?

Depends on the block. In first year you can count on about 4-6 hours of small group a week, and about 20 hours of lecture (unless it's first block in which case about 8 of those hours are in anatomy lab). [/quote]
-What time do you usually finish for the day?
In first year, three days a week you'll end by 3 and the other two, you'll be done at 12. In second year, it depends on the block. For instance, the block we just finished, we were in class until 3 PM 4 days of the week, and got out at noon one, usually. This block, we're in class until 4 or 5 every day.
-Some upperclassmen complained about board scores and the amount of time given to study these days. Do you know how much time is given now and if it may be increased? It looked like 6 weeks from my interview day materials, and I heard you can add vacation time from 4th year to add to that time.
It works out to 5 weeks between finals and starting 3rd year. Most people take Step 1 a week before 3rd year starts so that they can have a week of vacation. It's less than a lot of schools but I'm of the opinion that you can only study hardcore so long before burning out. Plus, you'll be "studying" for it all year by just learning the class material. However, you can't use 4th year vacation to add extra time. All the 3rd years start at the same time.
Thanks and hope you're all enjoying the interviewee pizza nights :)

It is nice to have that free food during exam week. I hope that everyone who has gone to them has gotten an opportunity to talk to some students. We love the pizza parties and talking about WashU since most of us love the school.

Hey guys, do you know how receptive WashU is to in the area emails? I just scheduled an interview for next week at SLU and I was wondering if I should send an email to them saying I'm in the area.

Go for it. The admissions office is super nice and receptive to those kinds of things. Can't promise it'll get you an interview but it definitely can't hurt.

In the application instructions that they mailed out, under "Interview," it says that, if you're planning a trip to the St. Louis area, it's appropriate to contact them by email or fax, at least three weeks before you plan to be there.

I wish more schools were that explicit about whether they accept communication.

The MSTP release dates for admission updates a couple of weeks ago in a newsletter: "Admissions decisions will be issued on November 18, December 16, January 13, January 27, and February 24. "

Good luck everyone.

oh my goodness, my fingers are shakingg, I just got an interview invite, sooo unexpected! WashU is my dream school :love: I thought it was hopeless :)

Hey question. How do you think that having only the 1st year as Pass/Fail affect the students?

Can one someone tell me if the interview allows you to catch 5:55pm flight? Not sure how long the interview go and how long it takes to get to the airport. Thanks!

Can one someone tell me if the interview allows you to catch 5:55pm flight? Not sure how long the interview go and how long it takes to get to the airport. Thanks!

Most people on my day had their interviews early and were completely done around ~2pm. A couple people were interviewing later (~2:30pm?) in the afternoon.

Nevertheless, you should still have time to catch the 5:55pm flight even in that case. I stayed at WashU until about 3:30pm and caught my 6:00pm flight in good time.

Hey question. How do you think that having only the 1st year as Pass/Fail affect the students?

That's an interesting question. As someone who took full advantage of P/F last year, I can tell you it makes for a fun year. And now as a second year, the fact that I have to study kinda bothers me because I got used to the fun, skipping classes, starting to look at material a few days before tests lifestyle. Though let me tell you, those few days of cramming were never fun. Now, I spend a lot of time studying, but it's not terrible. What I would learn if it was just pass/fail wouldn't cut it for step 1 so I'm glad I have that extra motivation to actually learn the material. In my opinion, it's a really great system. The low stress first year lets you make your place in St. Louis, gives you time to travel, lets you cultivate awesome friendships with your classmates, and all in a super uncompetitive environment. Add grades in second year, those friendships and the collaborative environment are still there, you can still make time for yourself, but you do also have that kick in the ass to make you learn the information that you need to know to be a physician.

You'll be totally fine. The St. Louis airport is super speedy. I've shown up 45 minutes before my flight before and had no trouble getting to the gate for boarding. They are just super efficient with the security stuff.

I chose a flight more than an hour earlier than yours. I included this information on the "visit arrangements" page, and they accommodated me just fine.

Just got the email about my visit arrangements for this Wednesday the 16th--I'm so excited! Anyone else interviewing then?

I have 2 interviews--can anyone tell me how long they are? Is one longer than the other? Thanks!

Just got the email about my visit arrangements for this Wednesday the 16th--I'm so excited! Anyone else interviewing then?

I have 2 interviews--can anyone tell me how long they are? Is one longer than the other? Thanks!

Generally one will be an hour and the other 30 minutes.

Generally one will be an hour and the other 30 minutes.
Thanks, ksmi, you've been so helpful throughout this whole thread--I don't usually post, but I lurk, so I appreciate it!

Is November 18th the first day for MD-only decisions? Or are only MD-PhD decisions made that day? The WashU website just says that MD decisions start in November, and doesn't give a date.

Is November 18th the first day for MD-only decisions? Or are only MD-PhD decisions made that day? The WashU website just says that MD decisions start in November, and doesn't give a date.

The MD decisions should be updated via status page. at 12:01 AM November 19th. Some people might get calls from their interviewers on Friday though.

The MD decisions should be updated via status page. at 12:01 AM November 19th. Some people might get calls from their interviewers on Friday though.

Do you think the people who interviewed late last week will hear back at that time?

Wow. . . I interviewed their first day, so really hoping to hear back in a couple days :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.