2012-2013 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already talked about what I will be doing in the next year in the "Most Meaningful Experiences" on the AMCAS. Do you think I'm OK just writing something like this? "In the next academic year, I will continue my present work for __________ as a research associate and health educator, as highlighted in the "Activities and Experience" section in my AMCAS Application."

There's not much more I can say about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys suppose the MD/PhD question about who you want to do research with for possible matching up with during the interview (should you make it that far)?

Do you guys suppose the MD/PhD question about who you want to do research with for possible matching up with during the interview (should you make it that far)?

That's what I took it to mean. And I guess just to see your general field of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm having same problem, did you figure out a way to get space between paragraphs?

anyone having any luck formatting paragraphs? I have a couple of lines of space between mine, but the separation is not showing up on the summary page, which is how I am assuming adcoms view it

i'm having same problem, did you figure out a way to get space between paragraphs?

Is it to the applicant's advantage if he/she went to/is at Cornell for undergradd? I am thinking of mentioning it in the "Why Weill Cornell" short answer, but I don't know if the school prefers to not choose Cornellians because they want more diversity...

Is it to the applicant's advantage if he/she went to/is at Cornell for undergradd? I am thinking of mentioning it in the "Why Weill Cornell" short answer, but I don't know if the school prefers to not choose Cornellians because they want more diversity...

Either way, the medical school is going to know you went to Cornell for undergrad. Why not use that experience to your advantage in crafting your response to why you want to attend the medical school?

As for the advantage/disadvantage of attending the affiliated undergraduate institution, perhaps that's a question that your pre-med advisor can answer.

Yup, your pre-med advisor should actually have that data through an AAMC login (how many of your undergraduates got into Cornell and every other medical school for that matter). The question is whether she will show you it.

Am I the only one amused by the phrase "Why Weill?"

Ugh, my sense of humor is hilariously low.

Either way, the medical school is going to know you went to Cornell for undergrad. Why not use that experience to your advantage in crafting your response to why you want to attend the medical school?

As for the advantage/disadvantage of attending the affiliated undergraduate institution, perhaps that's a question that your pre-med advisor can answer.

Yeah that's what I figured, thought I'd ask anyway. Glad I did because your input is encouraging, especially coming from someone with insane stats like yours! Beast numbersss

Weill Cornell does take Cornell alumni disproportionately (the HCEC lady told me), but every qualified Cornell grad applies there, so it's not clear if it's actually to your advantage to have gone to Cornell or not. But the med school hardly shares anything with the Ithaca campus ... it's hard to see how you could write about it for you "why Cornell" essay.

For the physics requirement I had two lectures and two labs.

So I just entered it as:

Course Name: ----------- Course Number:----------------------- Year:
-Gen Physics I ----------------101
-Gen Physics II ---------------102
-Gen Physics I/II Lab ------- 101
(I only entered the course number and year for the physics I lab in the third space, even though I listed I/II in the course name section)

I already submitted, but anyone think this might cause problems? Or will they understand?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long is it taking for people to be marked as complete? I submitted my application at the beginning of the week and I haven't been marked as complete. I'm an MSTP applicant, btw.

How long is it taking for people to be marked as complete? I submitted my application at the beginning of the week and I haven't been marked as complete. I'm an MSTP applicant, btw.
I submitted the secondary 7/31 and was complete on 8/1 applying regular MD route.

Mstp interview responses anyone? :). I want to go back to NY!!!!

Mstp interview responses anyone? :). I want to go back to NY!!!!

Nope, heard nothing yet. For some reason, I'm still marked as incomplete even though I think I've had everything in for a week now. Oh well, they don't start reviewing MSTP apps until sometime this month anyway.

I got an email to access the secondary application today but my link for the SAF doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem/what should I do?

MSTP complete 07/17.

The secondary says to only list lectures and not labs. So if I took two seperate 3 credit lecture courses in organic chemistry and a single 2 credit lab, would I omit the lab. I know that it says to omit it, but it seems odd to do so...

2 questions about this secondary...

1) Do we only list the first 2 classes we took that satisfy each requirement? I know it says "ONLY the courses that satisfy these requirements," but it's unclear whether they're referring to the number of courses required or the type of course. Also, the fact that they provide 3 spaces makes it ambiguous.

2) What do you put for year? "2008", for example, or "sophomore/whatever"?

1) Do we only list the first 2 classes we took that satisfy each requirement? I know it says "ONLY the courses that satisfy these requirements," but it's unclear whether they're referring to the number of courses required or the type of course. Also, the fact that they provide 3 spaces makes it ambiguous.

1) #classes minimum to satisfy requirements. school might separate lab so 3 courses

2) numerical year

Speaking as a fellow applicant, I can only tell you what I did =P

As for #1, I only put as many courses as needed to satisfy the requirement (specifically, 2 semester courses, or 3 quarter courses). I believe they provide 3 spaces in case you took classes on a quarter system, in which 3 quarters = 2 semesters.

As for #2, I just put the year and the term (e.g. SP2011) ... that or the year. Don't really remember this one D=

Anyone know about when Cornell starts releasing II's and rejections?

Cornell is one of those medical schools that does not reject anyone until the end of the cycle.

I think last year the started sending out invites like a week from now. And yeah to anyone who's seen me post this in other threads I did look up last years dates for all the schools I applied to hahah way too much time on my hands clearly.

I think last year the started sending out invites like a week from now. And yeah to anyone who's seen me post this in other threads I did look up last years dates for all the schools I applied to hahah way too much time on my hands clearly.

I did the same thing. Still have 1-2 weeks before classes start so I've got time on my hands.

I did the same thing. Still have 1-2 weeks before classes start so I've got time on my hands.
Did you guys adjust for the earlier AMCAS release date last year? AMCAS made primary application data available to schools around 2 weeks earlier last year.

Ah I did not. But a lot of the other schools are still pretty close to what they were last year but that definitely accounts for why some seem so far behind. Good call!

this is my absolute dream school!!! i really hope it shows me some love :love::love:

Interview invite!! Complete July 2nd.

Last edited:
Interview! Complete July 12th!

Last edited:
Interview, complete on jul 17

Congrats to everyone with interviews!

I was completed 7/9...still "under review" :xf: I just sent an in-the-area email so we'll see if this hastens a decision from them

EDIT: looks like a standard response email--they've noted my travel plans and will try to accommodate me if invited for interview!

Last edited:
Congrats to those with II's!

Does anyone know if Cornell reviews applications in the order in which they were marked as complete, or is their process random? Since we can't check the 2011-12 thread anymore, I'm not sure about this. :(

Congrats to those with II's!

Does anyone know if Cornell reviews applications in the order in which they were marked as complete, or is their process random? Since we can't check the 2011-12 thread anymore, I'm not sure about this. :(

You can still access the 2011-12 thread. It's at the top in the sticky threads under "secondaries (alphabetical list)". From the looks of it, they don't appear to go by date of completion. Or at least that's what it seemed like to me.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823389&page=3

Can people with IIs say their MCAT/GPA, and estimate/comment on how strong their ECs were? tytyty :D

I don't know why this isn't included in all these types of threads, but here's a format I made for us to use (based on verification threads).

I'll begin in the next post.

Instructions: (DO NOT DELETE!)

1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your name and dates to the bottom. Simply omit unknown dates (do not delete the category).
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) When your application is updated, come back and add the date your status changed to your previous entry.

KEY (DO NOT DELETE!):
Username, Verified (Applied), Secondary Received (SR), Secondary Submitted (SS), Complete (C), Interview Invite (II), Wait List (WL), Acceptance (R), Rejection (R)

Instructions: (DO NOT DELETE!)
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your name and dates to the bottom. Simply omit unknown dates (do not delete the category).
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) When your application is updated, come back and add the date your status changed to your previous entry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PMOD, V:7/5, SR:7/12, SS:7/24, C:7/25, II:, WL:, A:, R:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KEY (DO NOT DELETE!):
Username, Verified (Applied), Secondary Received (SR), Secondary Submitted (SS), Complete (C), Interview Invite (II), Wait List (WL), Acceptance (R), Rejection (R)

Can people with IIs say their MCAT/GPA, and estimate/comment on how strong their ECs were? tytyty :D

I got an II today. My MCAT was a 37ish and my GPA a 3.85ish and I had very strong ECs both the usual and unusual...

quick question for people who received IIs:

Did you email your photograph to wog2001 or to wcmc-admissions?

I sent mine to Ms. Guerrier, but the language they used is kind of ambiguous - not sure where they actually want it...

Status
Not open for further replies.