2013-2014 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I am waiting on an II (IS, complete mid-November) and I´m wondering if someone who knows more about this process than I do can help me interpret the following phone conversation I had today with admissions (and maybe others can benefit from it). The conversation went something like this. First, she said that all in-state applications had been reviewed. Then after looking up my info, she said that I had not been offered an interview, but my application had done quite well, that the competition was stiffer than ever, don't get discouraged, etc etc. So at this point I thought she was telling me I had been rejected. But then she said, "We interview through March, so if you don´t hear from us by then then, you should get an email saying you won't be getting an invitation to interview." So I said, "I´m sorry, I´m a little confused by your wording - are you saying I don´t have an interview yet or that I'm not going to?" Her response was, "You don't have an interview yet, and I'm not sure if you're going to." Based on her opening pep-talk-like remarks, I think she was hinting that I don't have a very good shot. My theory is that my app is in the pile that only gets an II if others who already have an II withdraw. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks and good luck to everyone still waiting :)

Hey there, I was in a similar situation as you. I'm also IS and my file was complete on Christmas Eve (it took the ADCOM that long to finally approve of my state residency). The admissions told me over the phone that "there are 6500 applications on top of yours, but we will make sure that yours gets evaluated since you are an IS applicant." I finally received an II on Jan 17 and was interviewed on Feb 5. In your case, I would wait until the end of March for the II. By the way, what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone planning on calling soon, the committee was supposed to meet yesterday

Waitlisted via snail mail :/ will call tomorrow to see placement

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 01/24/14 (Fri) and got waitlisted by mail. OOS and F. I called for my tier and was told that I was placed on top tier. They really enjoyed the interview and had a pretty good chance of getting accepted if I keep in contact with them. Let's see how this turns out. Better enjoy waiting than getting annoyed by it, hhh

Interviewed on 01/24/14 (Fri) and got waitlisted by mail. OOS and F. I called for my tier and was told that I was placed on top tier. They really enjoyed the interview and had a pretty good chance of getting accepted if I keep in contact with them. Let's see how this turns out. Better enjoy waiting than getting annoyed by it, hhh
a few pos

Did they tell you about their reaction to the interview, or are you guessing?

Also called today, placed on top tier of waitlist. Honestly, I don't think that means anything, it seems , looking through the last few years on studoc, almost every waitlister posted they were on the top tier, I only recall a few saying mid or bottom tier

Last week they said the OOS class was full...so lets just hope that a lot of OOS'ers decide to give up their seats come May...I loved this school!

Did they tell you anything about what it means to be at the "top tier" of the WL? I tried to ask questions (how many people are in it, if it is a "good" spot to be), but she told me she didn't have any info.

a few pos

Did they tell you about their reaction to the interview, or are you guessing?

Also called today, placed on top tier of waitlist. Honestly, I don't think that means anything, it seems , looking through the last few years on studoc, almost every waitlister posted they were on the top tier, I only recall a few saying mid or bottom tier

That's what the lady on the phone told me :)

Just called 2 weeks post interview and was told that it's too early for a status update and to call again in about 2 week

It sounds like if you're out-of-state, the best you can hope for is a waitlist decision because the OOS class is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
No you will not be evaluated throughout the day. This doesn't mean that you can start picking your nose and scatching your rear, haha. As for interviewers, you will have either two or three, with or without a student interviewer. Good luck!

I only had one physician and one second year student interview me.

Hey there, I was in a similar situation as you. I'm also IS and my file was complete on Christmas Eve (it took the ADCOM that long to finally approve of my state residency). The admissions told me over the phone that "there are 6500 applications on top of yours, but we will make sure that yours gets evaluated since you are an IS applicant." I finally received an II on Jan 17 and was interviewed on Feb 5. In your case, I would wait until the end of March for the II. By the way, what are your stats?
Hey thanks for the feedback. The thing is that admissions told me they HAD evaluated my application - all the IS apps have been evaluated, she said - but that I haven't been offered an interview to this point. But yeah since I was so late maybe they're going back through the pile to offer IIs, who knows. My stats are a little quirky: 3.4 GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 37 MCAT. I'm a non-traditional career changer (4 years out of school). Minimal clinical experience (roughly 100 hours of shadowing/volunteer work, all in the last 8 months)

EDIT: I was complete Nov 25.

Hey thanks for the feedback. The thing is that admissions told me they HAD evaluated my application - all the IS apps have been evaluated, she said - but that I haven't been offered an interview to this point. But yeah since I was so late maybe they're going back through the pile to offer IIs, who knows. My stats are a little quirky: 3.4 GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 37 MCAT. I'm a non-traditional career changer (4 years out of school). Minimal clinical experience (roughly 100 hours of shadowing/volunteer work, all in the last 8 months)

Your limited clinical/volunteer experience is probably a red flag.

Your MCAT score is well above EVMS' average! However, your GPA and clinical experience might be a little lacking. The admissions committee could just be filling up the remainder of the interview slots with applicants who more closely match their criteria first before offering II to other applicants.

Good luck!

I was very excited to get an interview today! I had about given up all hope. I was rejected last year without an interview so this is very exciting.

I was very excited to get an interview today! I had about given up all hope. I was rejected last year without an interview so this is very exciting.

Congratulations! When were you complete?

Congratulations! When were you complete?
I was complete on October 24 of last year. This interview will be only my second interview. I was actually working on my Grenada application because things weren't going so well on the apps to US schools. Hopefully there will still be some spots left after I interview in March.

Your MCAT score is well above EVMS' average! However, your GPA and clinical experience might be a little lacking. The admissions committee could just be filling up the remainder of the interview slots with applicants who more closely match their criteria first before offering II to other applicants.

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah I knew going in that my app was far from the total package, applying this cycle was definitely a roll of the dice. If I don't get in I'll probably do a post-bacc. Appreciate all the help. Good luck everyone!

Hi all! I am new here. Anyone interviewed on Feb 26th here?

Hi everyone. I'm OOS, interviewed in October, was placed in the top 1/3 wait list, and withdrew (going to my state school). I figured I would share my perspective and some of the things I've heard regarding the wait list for OOS applicants. The students I met said a large percentage of OOS matriculates are taken off the WL and this makes sense. Any OOS applicant that was accepted out right is probably pretty competitive and got offers from other schools. Likely, their state school which will be much cheaper than EVMS. So OOS applicants that choose to matriculate, either really like the school and are willing to put up the ~60K to attend, or they didn't get into any cheaper schools of equal caliber. So if you're in the top tier, you probably have a fairly good shot. I'll also say that I have nothing against the school. I really liked it, it's just insanely expensive for OOS peeps.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing, hear anything about the IS list?

Congratulations on getting accepted at your state school and thank you for cheering OOS waitlisters! Congratz! :)

Hi everyone. I'm OOS, interviewed in October, was placed in the top 1/3 wait list, and withdrew (going to my state school). I figured I would share my perspective and some of the things I've heard regarding the wait list for OOS applicants. The students I met said a large percentage of OOS matriculates are taken off the WL and this makes sense. Any OOS applicant that was accepted out right is probably pretty competitive and got offers from other schools. Likely, their state school which will be much cheaper than EVMS. So OOS applicants that choose to matriculate, either really like the school and are willing to put up the ~60K to attend, or they didn't get into any cheaper schools of equal caliber. So if you're in the top tier, you probably have a fairly good shot. I'll also say that I have nothing against the school. I really liked it, it's just insanely expensive for OOS peeps.

Just received an interview invite today...but withdrew.

I wonder if there are any seats left or if they're interviewing for waitlist spots at this point.

"We are currently scheduling interviews for Wednesday, March 19th (2 SPOTS), Friday, March 21st (5 SPOTS), Wednesday, March 26th (5 SPOTS), Friday, March 28th (9 SPOTS). Because interview slots fill very quickly, you may have to schedule your interview for a later date."

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed yesterday at EVMS. It is a nice school. I like that it is a little smaller and by the water. We had a group of 14 people interviewing. Almost everyone interviewing was from Virginia or North Carolina. They do a tour during the day and then a 3 person interview. During my tour, our tour guide (an M1) took us into the anatomy lab and showed us a human brain. We also toured the children's Hospital across the street from the school.

I guess EVMS will respond pretty quickly (one way or the other) since it is already March?

Interesting that they would be interviewing a lot of instaters at this point.

Last edited:
Did anybody get off the waitlist by any chance? In the previous cycle, the waitlist mvmnt started in March.

Any suggestions for hotels? Preferably one with free shuttle and wifi service

Any suggestions for hotels? Preferably one with free shuttle and wifi service
I stayed at Tazewell hotel. It does not have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel... But, there is local "subway" called Tide that will take you from the hotel to EVMS in 5 min; it costs only 1-2 bucks in one way. It has free wifi. Check it out!

Has anyone received an invitation for preview weekend? Last year they were sent out around March 7th.

Waitlisted, IS, top 1/3.

Fingers crossed, I really want to go here.

What's the closest hotel to this school?