2015-2016 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2015-16 Prompts (all 1000 characters including spaces):
1. How do you believe that you match the mission of CMSRU?

2. Most medical school applicants describe two reasons for their medical school aspirations: the love of science and the wish to help people. These two reasons could lead a person down many pathways, so please describe a different reason that medicine is the right choice for you.

3.Which aspects of your personality, in your opinion, make you well suited to a career in medicine?

4.Which non-science undergraduate course taught you the most about yourself? Please explain.

5. Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, and other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email that my application was received and will be reviewed. Problem: I didn't reapply and I'm starting at a medical school in a month lol. Anyone else get this strange email?

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an email that my application was received and will be reviewed. Problem: I didn't reapply and I'm starting at a medical school in a month lol. Anyone else get this strange email?

Starting at different school in a month too and got the email. I assume some glitch accidentally sent to people who applied last year.

A common question: Where do students live?

About 1/3 live in Camden, 1/3 in neighboring Philadelphia (about 5 minutes away), and another 1/3 in NJ suburbs (like Cherry Hill, NJ). This is a rough estimate.

A new Camden option: http://www.cooper-village.com

Just got my secondary. Does anyone know how intense their primary screening is?

Just got my secondary. Does anyone know how intense their primary screening is?
Did you get you get a secondary or a notification that they'd received your AMCAS and that they'd be sending secondaries out on a rolling basis?

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard mixed answers before, but does anyone know one way or the other if you can become an IS resident with corresponding tuition after one year? Or ever with relative ease? I thought other NJ schools made it sound reasonable, but Cooper's website makes it sound pretty impossible. Applying as an OOSer and would appreciate the info.

Just received the actual secondary. Prompts:

All 1000 characters

How do you believe that you match the mission of CMSRU?

Most medical school applicants describe two reasons for their medical school aspirations: the love of science and the wish to help people. These two reasons could lead a person down many pathways, so please describe a different reason that medicine is the right choice for you.

Which aspects of your personality, in your opinion, make you well suited to a career in medicine?

Which non-science undergraduate course taught you the most about yourself? Please explain.

Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, and other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Welp... I guess I learned my lesson to stop pre-writing secondaries!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the actual secondary. Prompts:

All 1000 characters

How do you believe that you match the mission of CMSRU?

Most medical school applicants describe two reasons for their medical school aspirations: the love of science and the wish to help people. These two reasons could lead a person down many pathways, so please describe a different reason that medicine is the right choice for you.

Which aspects of your personality, in your opinion, make you well suited to a career in medicine?

Which non-science undergraduate course taught you the most about yourself? Please explain.

Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, and other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school.
Thanks for posting those! Did they send you an email saying they received your primary? If so, when?

Thanks for posting those! Did they send you an email saying they received your primary? If so, when?
Yeah they did send me the "we have your primary and we screen" e-mail. I got it yesterday around 1:30 Eastern time.

Still waiting! I'm not verified yet. Are you? Anyone who got a secondary waiting to be verified?
I was verified almost on the first day, have received secondaries from a few other schools, I got their initial email, but have not had any further correspondence since then..

Im both verified and my letters on in, anything?

Received secondary as well. Interesting that they sent it out on a Sunday

@Ismet

2015-16 Prompts (all 1000 characters including spaces):
1. How do you believe that you match the mission of CMSRU?

2. Most medical school applicants describe two reasons for their medical school aspirations: the love of science and the wish to help people. These two reasons could lead a person down many pathways, so please describe a different reason that medicine is the right choice for you.

3.Which aspects of your personality, in your opinion, make you well suited to a career in medicine?

4.Which non-science undergraduate course taught you the most about yourself? Please explain.

5. Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, and other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school

Secondary received! OOS applicant. Anybody know how strict the screening process is to receive a secondary?

Secondary received! OOS applicant. Anybody know how strict the screening process is to receive a secondary?

It seems they screen pretty thoroughly and take into account much more than just numbers. But that's just about all I can conclude from previous threads for now.

Secondary received as well today. I'm an OOS applicant

got the secondary today, excited for this school! OOS.

Their 'required' classes threw me a bit...imagining erasing physics and orgo from my undergrad would've been really nice haha

Secondary received Sunday submitted Monday

Secondary received today. I can't pinpoint why, but I'm really excited about this school...

Perhaps it's the idea of attending a relatively new medical school. And I'm sure their campus/facilities must be awesome.

Does anyone know about Camden? I'm from New York--is there a location in New York that is similar?

Secondary received today. I can't pinpoint why, but I'm really excited about this school...

Perhaps it's the idea of attending a relatively new medical school. And I'm sure their campus/facilities must be awesome.

Does anyone know about Camden? I'm from New York--is there a location in New York that is similar?

probably Bed-Stuy

Damn... pre-writing this one was not a good decision haha :( all of them changed from last year's

Not really. Camden reminds me more of Baltimore than any neighborhood in NYC. I wanted to compare it to living in Harlem, but after spending some time volunteering in Camden, it's not really a good comparison...very different feel to it.

Still haven't received secondary and I'm IS anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone know if the class size for this school is increasing this year? And would they be accepting more than 5 students via early decision?

What do they mean Cooper doesn't accept transfer students?

Anyone still waiting to receive a secondary?

Does anyone know if the class size for this school is increasing this year? And would they be accepting more than 5 students via early decision?

Yes, each year the class size has increased. This includes the class starting this August. My understanding is the gradual increase will continue for the next few classes.

Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. It frequently tops rankings of violent crime per capita. Almost half of the residents live below the poverty line. But that doesn't really tell you much about the culture of the city. Since you're so close by, I would definitely suggest visiting Camden before you make any big decisions about where Cooper lies on your priority list. Check out the aquarium and battleship New Jersey by the waterfront, or maybe see a play in the south side of town. Another consideration is that the feel of the city is very different at night. It really turns into a ghost town.

I really want to do everything I can to help the people of Camden. That fact that people living as close as NYC are unaware of the city's struggles speak volumes about how little is done for the city.

Thank you for the information. I will visit if I get an interview.

Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. It frequently tops rankings of violent crime per capita. Almost half of the residents live below the poverty line. But that doesn't really tell you much about the culture of the city. Since you're so close by, I would definitely suggest visiting Camden before you make any big decisions about where Cooper lies on your priority list. Check out the aquarium and battleship New Jersey by the waterfront, or maybe see a play in the south side of town. Another consideration is that the feel of the city is very different at night. It really turns into a ghost town.

I really want to do everything I can to help the people of Camden. That fact that people living as close as NYC are unaware of the city's struggles speak volumes about how little is done for the city.

Great post! I admire your commitment to the city. Just wanted to add that, while Camden is urban, many would not consider it a big city at 75,000 people. It doesn't feel like New York, Chicago, or even "smaller" cities like DC or Baltimore at night because it is just not on par with respect to population. For those coming from a bigger city, this may in part explain the "ghost town" feel at night.

Also just wanted to point out that many students do not live in Camden. About 1/3 of students live in Philadelphia (5 minutes away from Camden) and another 1/3 live in surrounding suburbs (5 minutes away from Camden). Just something to think about! :)