2015-2016 Quinnipiac University (Netter) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

It says prepare to spend 6 hrs for the interview day, which puts the end of the day at about 5 PM. Do you think I could make a flight out of Bradley International (about 30-40 min away) that leaves at 7:10PMAka, board at 6:40 PM.?

Advice on which airport to fly out of is welcome. I'm flying from the West Coast.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

It says prepare to spend 6 hrs for the interview day, which puts the end of the day at about 5 PM. Do you think I could make a flight out of Bradley International (about 30-40 min away) that leaves at 7:10PMAka, board at 6:40 PM.?

Advice on which airport to fly out of is welcome. I'm flying from the West Coast.

Thanks!
That's really risky with rush hour traffic. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the airport after the interview. I had a hotel right by the airport and traveled the day after.

That's really risky with rush hour traffic. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the airport after the interview. I had a hotel right by the airport and traveled the day after.
Thanks for the advice! Will make my plans accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! Will make my plans accordingly.

Same as above. I stayed an extra night and left in the morning. The drive from BDL was too long to risk it for me. It is quick security at the airport if you want to be gutsy though.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm debating on attending an interview here in 2 weeks, mainly due to cost and timing, since I'm finishing up my undergrad right now. I was wondering if anyone had any perspective on how this school compared to other interviews or if they were really impressed with the interview day.

My main concerns are not having an attached hospital, the clinical sites being far away, not having a research center, and not being able to see a match list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm debating on attending an interview here in 2 weeks, mainly due to cost and timing, since I'm finishing up my undergrad right now. I was wondering if anyone had any perspective on how this school compared to other interviews or if they were really impressed with the interview day.

My main concerns are not having an attached hospital, the clinical sites being far away, not having a research center, and not being able to see a match list.

If you have already been accepted elsewhere and are comfortable with attending that school, then you may not want to interview at QU. But this is entirely up to you.

My interview here was laid back, very relaxed, and everyone was friendly. I was in fact impressed that day. Even though the school is pretty new, the new facilities are amazing. The building is comfy, clean, and doesn't look like a dungeon (especially the anatomy labs). It seems like the faculty are really close with students, which is great for resume and connections. You don't get the feeling that because the school isn't established you'll be missing out on a lot.
As for the clinical sites, yes they are pretty far away. You will need a car to get around. Research: although the school doesn't have much on research, they do have some summer programs for students wanting to do research. I also heard that many students go down to Yale to do research there. You don't NEED to do your research with your medical school. Any facility nearby is fine. Match: Yea there isn't much data on that either. I've only heard that the average step 1 was slightly above average. But keep in mind that the medical school weighs in little on your match. It's how YOU spend your time preparing for your exams, and how YOU spend your free time doing research/etc.

Good luck in deciding.

Reactions: 3 users
If you have already been accepted elsewhere and are comfortable with attending that school, then you may not want to interview at QU. But this is entirely up to you.

My interview here was laid back, very relaxed, and everyone was friendly. I was in fact impressed that day. Even though the school is pretty new, the new facilities are amazing. The building is comfy, clean, and doesn't look like a dungeon (especially the anatomy labs). It seems like the faculty are really close with students, which is great for resume and connections. You don't get the feeling that because the school isn't established you'll be missing out on a lot.
As for the clinical sites, yes they are pretty far away. You will need a car to get around. Research: although the school doesn't have much on research, they do have some summer programs for students wanting to do research. I also heard that many students go down to Yale to do research there. You don't NEED to do your research with your medical school. Any facility nearby is fine. Match: Yea there isn't much data on that either. I've only heard that the average step 1 was slightly above average. But keep in mind that the medical school weighs in little on your match. It's how YOU spend your time preparing for your exams, and how YOU spend your free time doing research/etc.

Good luck in deciding.
Thank you for the info. I've been trying to decide for a week now and I'm still on the fence. I have been accepted somewhere else, but having a choice is nice. Flying in from the west coast to Bradley is not nice.

Thank you for the info. I've been trying to decide for a week now and I'm still on the fence. I have been accepted somewhere else, but having a choice is nice. Flying in from the west coast to Bradley is not nice.

If you are coming in from the west also take into account the weather. Can you handle snow?

Although I'd honestly love to free up another II for someone else (me?!?!), I'd think of it this way: Is the cost of the interview prohibitory? If not, is there enough of a benefit at Quinnipiac vs your current school (cheaper, better area/regional preference, other opportunities, curriculum, etc) to outweigh the flight/hotel?

For example, if I had an acceptance at my State U, only one or two other schools on my list are reasonable competitors based on the cost/location of State vs them. That said, I would definitely go to those schools; there would be no guarantee, but the career opportunities for my SO would be worth the few hundred... Congrats on your acceptance/situation!

Although I'd honestly love to free up another II for someone else (me?!?!), I'd think of it this way: Is the cost of the interview prohibitory? If not, is there enough of a benefit at Quinnipiac vs your current school (cheaper, better area/regional preference, other opportunities, curriculum, etc) to outweigh the flight/hotel?

For example, if I had an acceptance at my State U, only one or two other schools on my list are reasonable competitors based on the cost/location of State vs them. That said, I would definitely go to those schools; there would be no guarantee, but the career opportunities for my SO would be worth the few hundred... Congrats on your acceptance/situation!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to make a decision with enough time that if I do turn down the interview there will be enough time for them to offer it to someone else.
The snow I can deal with. Driving 45 minutes to get to clinic or research, maybe not. My acceptance, so far, isn't my state school, so tuition is pretty much the same.

ACCEPTED!!! IM LOSING MY **** AHHH! Lizzy M ~67. Interviewed beginning of Jan.

Reactions: 11 users
I really hope this school is still giving out interviews!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Complete late September!

Reactions: 9 users
Is the primary care fellowship only awarded after students fully commit to the school?

The website says: "To apply for a primary care fellowship, you must:
• Have been accepted and matriculate to the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine"

I'm going to choose my school based on finances and I want to know what my finances are before I start, haha

If you are coming in from the west also take into account the weather. Can you handle snow?
forget about snow, think about the temp without snow, it's crazy cold like boston. At one point, you may feel like your head has compressed gas that is pushing against your forehead.

Is the primary care fellowship only awarded after students fully commit to the school?

• Have been accepted and matriculate to the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine"

I'm going to choose my school based on finances and I want to know what my finances are before I start, haha

I'm not sure but I would love to hear more about this scholarship. The school's ultimate goal (based on some research online) is to have every student considering a career in primary care to have fully funded education. But obviously this is near impossible, so right now they only offer it to one student. But I'd like to hear current students who have received this fellowship and their experience/thoughts on this. Thanks

Firstly, I want to dispel the rumor that you have to commit yourself to primary care by attending Netter. You don't. Apply to whatever pleases you. BUT... if you are interested in primary care, during orientation week (once you've decided to attend), you will have the opportunity to speak to someone who has the power to fully pay for you tuition provided you commit to PC for a certain number of years post residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, I want to dispel the rumor that you have to commit yourself to primary care by attending Netter. You don't. Apply to whatever pleases you. BUT... if you are interested in primary care, during orientation week (once you've decided to attend), you will have the opportunity to speak to someone who has the power to fully pay for you tuition provided you commit to PC for a certain number of years post residency.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Trying to gauge how many people still have not heard anything from here. I've been complete since August 1st with total silence

Reactions: 6 users
+4?

I've been brutalized within the past two weeks. An ii would be amazing, they can hold off rejecting me though. Too much of that going around...

Reactions: 1 user
+5 I know no news is good news but at the same time I'm afraid they aren't interested and will reject me in March :(.

Radio silence here since Sept 1. I called a couple of weeks ago and they said the process is fairly slow because 4 adcom members browse through each and every application D:

Is there any place for new matriculating students to communicate and socialize? The Facebook page is pretty dead.

Should we start a new student only fb page /thread? Would love to start getting to know my classmates!

Is there any place for new matriculating students to communicate and socialize? The Facebook page is pretty dead.

Should we start a new student only fb page /thread? Would love to start getting to know my classmates!

Definitely feel the same--would really like to start finding roommates so I can travel this summer without feeling like ahhh where do I live?! in August.

Withdrew my acceptance today. It was a tough decision. I really did love this school. I had a great interview experience and was impressed by everything. Beautiful school, friendly people, all the students seem very happy. Good luck to everyone who is interviewing/waiting to hear back. It's an amazing place.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an II today!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 14 users
Hooray, accepted just now!!! First one! Interviewed 2/1.

Reactions: 15 users
Accepted via email today!! So excited. I loved the school and had a great interview experience. :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users
Can someone who interviewed give me a rundown of the day and what it was like? I'm anxious, I really want it to go well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can someone who interviewed give me a rundown of the day and what it was like? I'm anxious, I really want it to go well

Checked in the morning with the security guards out front. He/they walked us back to the offices when it was time to start (very nice guys, kinda working to put everyone at ease.)

For most of the time after that, we were in the same conference room. Did the classic ice-breaker of going around the room, name+college+job+fun fact. Usual meetings/presentations from administrative staff about financial aid, opportunities, curriculum, etc.

Lunch with a few 1st/2nd year students, catered from a restaurant.

Two different one-on-one interviews held in small offices. You'd go to the first, regroup in the conference room, then go to the second. I think they tried to have one teaching faculty + one student (my case) or other invested individual. They (admin staff) were very focused on making the interviews a conversational and friendly process.

After the interviews, the dean of admissions went around the room and commented on everyone's application, largely from memory. Asked about activities, shared related experiences, etc. This was a rather neat touch, as it showed that they were focusing on the students building each class (obviously he likely studied them the night/morning before, not memorizing EACH applicant, but still shows caring).

There was a tour afterward, but I didn't do it because of travel needs. There wasn't a lot of time left, though, so I can't imagine it was thorough.

Overall, the process was very friendly and helpful. The staff, interviewers, and everyone else was focused on being informative, reassuring, and friendly. Take it easy, have fun, and rock it.

Reactions: 2 users
Well...sent an email about the school being in New York and not CT today...whoops.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Also, the fb page above is student only. There are no admin/staff in it, just upperclassmen/women.