2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted also!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to you both! Got added to the waitlist myself. Interviewed 10/14

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the condolences! I've been accepted elsewhere so it's not a huge blow, but I appreciate them all the same.

WMed seemed like a great school, and they clearly put a lot of thought into how they designed their curriculum. The campus was wonderful and everyone was extremely welcoming on my interview day (and the food was great!). I wasn't completely sold on the fact that anatomy is a non-dissecting course. I know this is minor in the long run of becoming a physician, but I have been looking forward to anatomy for a long time, and I feel personally being involved in the dissection process will aid my learning. WMed also does a lot of problem-based and team-based learning. While I think this is important, they place a little more focus on this learning style versus lectures. They still have lectures, but it is less than many of my other schools. I personally learn well in a lecture-setting, so WMed is just a little different from my personal learning style. But this is all just my opinion! I just didn't feel quite as home here, but it is still a wonderful school!

Def makes sense! I can respect that. And congrats on the acceptance! Where else did you get in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Now how to proceed? I am confused by the letter which said we have to sign and turn in the enrollment committment? If I sign and turn that in, and I end up choosing to go somewhere else, am I allowed to withdraw my enrollment committment? Anyone chime in on how this works? many thanks in advance.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know the probability of getting accepted if granted an in person interview? is it like half you think?

Accepted!!!
did you get any mention of a scholarship? I am wondering how they will do that this year since in previous years it looks like everyone was offered one, but this year at the finaid presentation they made it seem like it wouldnt go to EVERYone this year..

Experience review completed 9/04 should i just assume a reject at this point?

did you get any mention of a scholarship? I am wondering how they will do that this year since in previous years it looks like everyone was offered one, but this year at the finaid presentation they made it seem like it wouldnt go to EVERYone this year..

Didn't say anything on the phone....haven't had time to log into the portal yet. I think at the presentation they mentioned that taking a little while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected also pre phone II, complete end of August. Not surprised as I accidentally wrote the word osteopathic in my secondary and didn't realize until I was reusing that essay

Have my phone interview soon- wish me luck y'all! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Now how to proceed? I am confused by the letter which said we have to sign and turn in the enrollment committment? If I sign and turn that in, and I end up choosing to go somewhere else, am I allowed to withdraw my enrollment committment? Anyone chime in on how this works? many thanks in advance.

You're allowed to hold multiple acceptances and withdraw at anytime before the 4/30(?) commitment date. Signing the form now does not bind you to WMed.

Congrats to all accepted! For those still waiting on news, I've been complete here since 7/27 and received a phone interview invite earlier this week. I'm in at a few places nearer home, so don't think I'll be accepting, but if you've been complete here for a while and haven't hear anything, don't get discouraged!

Reactions: 1 users
How are you guys already accepted at schools? Isn't it a bit early

Do you think if i have my campus interview in January thats a bit late? Will I be at a disadvantage?

You have an interview, that is the major hurdle to overcome! Yes, some people will have already been accepted by that point, but if you have a campus interview you definitely have a shot at acceptance, so I wouldn't worry!

So.. I had a dream last night that I got an II from WMed and I immediately shared it on here. One of you asked when I completed the phone interview and that made me realize that I never did it so I wondered if the email was fake. Well anyway, I woke up and was disappointed.

Can anyone answer some questions about the school? @WMed UpToDate
What do you love about the school?
What is Wmed most proud of ?
Does the corriculum help make the amount of info easier to digest?
How are you graded?
Do you only rotate at borgess and bronson?
How is the quality of rotations?

What do you hate about the school?
What do you wish you could change?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone answer some questions about the school? @WMed UpToDate
How are you graded?

Thanks in advance.

To name a few - community support, facilities, clinicians' enthusiasm, opportunity for starting new things, location

I'm not sure how to answer this question haha.. I think from students' perspective, being part of a new medical school and creating all the opportunities and making the impact that we have had on the community is pretty awesome.

Any specific part you're referring to? Amount of information is going to be absurd no matter where you go. Is it easier to digest them at WMed compared to other schools? I don't know. I've only attended 1 med school :p

How are you graded?

preclinicals are P/NP, clinicals are H/P/NP.
Your class will be ranked into quartiles based on your preclinical grades. Your quartile status will be reported on the MSPE and which also includes the cumulative, weighted class average and distribution for preclinical year 1 & 2. Refer to student handbook for more details.
http://med.wmich.edu/sites/default/files/Medical Student Handbook.pdf

Depending on your rotation, you also rotate at Family health center, WMed clinics (including internal medicine, pediatrics, orthopedics...etc), private clinics...etc.

I think they're good.

It's expensive, especially when you compare to my in state schools :'(

Active citizenship for my year was rough, so I wish that was not the case. However, they've made substantial changes to that part of the curriculum, which is now implemented for the 3rd class (I think the 2nd class didn't get the benefit?). Also, bigger in-house gym.

Last edited:
To name a few - community support, facilities, clinicians' enthusiasm, opportunity for starting new things, location

I'm not sure how to answer this question haha.. I think from students' perspective, being part of a new medical school and creating all the opportunities and making the impact that we have had on the community is pretty awesome.

Any specific part you're referring to? Amount of information is going to be absurd no matter where you go. Is it easier to digest them at WMed compared to other schools? I don't know. I've only attended 1 med school :p

How are you graded?

preclinicals are P/NP, clinicals are H/P/NP.
Your class will be ranked into quartiles based on your preclinical grades. Your quartile status will be reported on the MSPE and which also includes the cumulative, weighted class average and distribution for preclinical year 1 & 2. Refer to student handbook for more details.
http://med.wmich.edu/sites/default/files/Medical Student Handbook.pdf

Depending on your rotation, you also rotate at Family health center, WMed clinics (including internal medicine, pediatrics, orthopedics...etc), private clinics...etc.

I think they're good.

It's expensive, especially when you compare to my in state schools :'(

Active citizenship for my year was rough, so I wish that was not the case. However, they've made substantial changes to that part of the curriculum, which is now implemented for the 3rd class (I think the 2nd class didn't get the benefit?).

Thank you soo much for taking this time out to speak about this. What is active Citizenship? A side note, Wmed has shorter summer breaks I take it because of TBL. And the carrerr counseling stuff how are those folks. I am sure everything is an unknown considering that the school is fairly new.

Thank you soo much for taking this time out to speak about this. What is active Citizenship? A side note, Wmed has shorter summer breaks I take it because of TBL. And the carrerr counseling stuff how are those folks. I am sure everything is an unknown considering that the school is fairly new.

I think it would do you justice to read through WMed's section for future students. You'll find lots of answers to your questions that are better explained than I can, i.e. active citizenship and the way our schedules are set up.

There are no summer breaks and that is not due to TBLs. It's just the way our curriculum is set up.
Career counseling is fine. Consider that WMed's residency programs have been around for many years and have taken students from MSU and MSUCOM in 3rd or 4th years. I personally already know what I want for specialty and have found mentors that have given me good advice and directions on how to get to where I want to go

I think it would do you justice to read through WMed's section for future students. You'll find lots of answers to your questions that are better explained than I can, i.e. active citizenship and the way our schedules are set up.

There are no summer breaks and that is not due to TBLs. It's just the way our curriculum is set up.
Career counseling is fine. Consider that WMed's residency programs have been around for many years and have taken students from MSU and MSUCOM in 3rd or 4th years. I personally already know what I want for specialty and have found mentors that have given me good advice and directions on how to get to where I want to go
I appologize, I will try to look for this document. I went through the handbook, it seems pretty comprehensive. Thanks for your help.

Do we really need to have a test for "alcohol, tobacco, and controlled substances"?

I don't smoke or do drugs, but I spent like half my interview talking about brewing beer and the great brewery scene in Kalamazoo, so that's a bit odd...

Do we really need to have a test for "alcohol, tobacco, and controlled substances"?

I don't smoke or do drugs, but I spent like half my interview talking about brewing beer and the great brewery scene in Kalamazoo, so that's a bit odd...
I've wondered about this as well. Only school I've seen this kind of statement on alcohol/tobacco (other than obviously not dancing naked in your underwear during clinical). Where do they set the bar?

I've wondered about this as well. Only school I've seen this kind of statement on alcohol/tobacco (other than obviously not dancing naked in your underwear during clinical). Where do they set the bar?

I can't imagine they really have a policy against drinking, but I don't want to call to be the sketchy person that asks lol

I can't imagine they really have a policy against drinking, but I don't want to call to be the sketchy person that asks lol
haha right? "So I want to go to your school, but I'm a little turned off by the booze policy. Let's talk boundaries."

There's not an anti-drinking policy (I say this having organized an outing with the faculty at a local bar). There is an anti-excessive-drinking policy. As in, if you're getting thrown out of bars, drunk driving, showing up to clinic drunk, etc.

There is however a strict no-tobacco and no drugs policy. They haven't random tested us, but they absolutely could.

Reactions: 3 users
All discussion of drinking during school aside:

It's a medical school located in west Michigan, the home of Founders, Bells, and a greater number of breweries than grocery stores.

Beer isn't a chance, it's an inevitability.

Reactions: 6 users
There's not an anti-drinking policy (I say this having organized an outing with the faculty at a local bar). There is an anti-excessive-drinking policy. As in, if you're getting thrown out of bars, drunk driving, showing up to clinic drunk, etc.

There is however a strict no-tobacco and no drugs policy. They haven't random tested us, but they absolutely could.

I guess I'm not too familiar with what an alcohol test even is lol. I don't THINK alcohol stays in your system very long.

How is the in person interview? I am scheduled for january

Search through this topic for multiple peoples comments, I believe including mine. Overall it's a very nice day. They make a good effort to get to know you and definitely don't ask any tricky questions or anything.

Thank you for clarifying!

No tobacco?? That makes no sense. Plenty of people smoke cigarettes/hookah/etc. ive never heard of a med school prohibiting that given that it is not illegal.