2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Placed on hold for review at a later date as well. Found out through the portal. LizM in the lower 70s. Complete 9/26.

I would imagine the idea behind not outright rejecting folks is so we have an opportunity to continually update them throughout the cycle, as they seem to put considerable value into those updates. I would encourage the rest of you that were placed on hold for re-review to do the same and stay cautiously optimistic!

Can the people who got re-reviews/status changes state what regions/states they're in? Not that it probably matters, it just seems like some people's status are changing non-linearly, like HydrophobiCatheter got a "re-review" within a few days of being complete while some of you guys got a status change after a few months. I've been complete late-august and my application is still stuck on "your file is now complete", so I'm wondering if GW admissions is just clearing people by region or if it's just totally random. I'm just neurotically trying to make sense of all this!

Members don't see this ad.

Can the people who got re-reviews/status changes state what regions/states they're in? Not that it probably matters, it just seems like some people's status are changing non-linearly, like HydrophobiCatheter got a "re-review" within a few days of being complete while some of you guys got a status change after a few months. I've been complete late-august and my application is still stuck on "your file is now complete", so I'm wondering if GW admissions is just clearing people by region or if it's just totally random. I'm just neurotically trying to make sense of all this!

I'm of the opinion that we should not attempt to make any sense of any of this. It won't happen.

Nevertheless, I will reluctantly contribute to your anxiety (lol): Placed on hold 52 days after complete in late July, CA resident.

Reactions: 4 users

Whoops. Did not mean to negatively contribute to your neuroticism! I meant 8/26... not 9/26. Nonetheless, I'm from the midwest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was put on pre-interview hold here the other day, does anyone know if GW has started handing out rejections yet?

GW started rejecting people around October 17-20 last year, so I am predicting that it will be around that time this year as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Placed on re-review :/ sadly, I have no updates to give, so my app will have to be judged as is

Checked today and placed on hold :( At least it's not a rejection… yet.

Checked today and placed on hold :( At least it's not a rejection… yet.

Hey, Hold your chin up! My friend got it placed on re-review early in the process (Late July) and ended up with an interview for October! If it's not an outright rejection you still have a shot. Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey, Hold your chin up! My friend got it placed on re-review early in the process (Late July) and ended up with an interview for October! If it's not an outright rejection you still have a shot. Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Thanks for the motivation! :) I was complete relatively late, 9/5.

You can always send a letter of interest if you don't have updates!
I contemplated that, but aren't those traditionally reserved for after you've had an interview and their taking awhile to make a decision?

I contemplated that, but aren't those traditionally reserved for after you've had an interview and their taking awhile to make a decision?
That's what I always thought. I think you could probably do it before, but I thought letters of intent and interest were for post-interview/pre-acceptance.

That's what I always thought. I think you could probably do it before, but I thought letters of intent and interest were for post-interview/pre-acceptance.

Well, looks like I learned something new :)

I submitted an update pdf last week but have not received a confirmation email and it's not showing up on my portal. How long do they normally take to verify it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted 08/25. I have a 'Your file is now complete', not sure since when. I am worried this will change straight to 'Rejected' later this month.

I was complete 9/6 and it still just says file complete :(

Last edited:
I was complete 9/6 and it still just says file complete :(
I submitted 08/25. I have a 'Your file is now complete', not sure since when. I am worried this will change straight to 'Rejected' later this month.
i was complete LATER than both of you and already on re-review lmao fml

complete 8/16. Still on "file is now complete". I wish they didn't even update there portal, that way I would stop checking... :confused:

complete 8/16. Still on "file is now complete". I wish they didn't even update there portal, that way I would stop checking... :confused:
Same, complete 8/13

On hold for re-review! URM, from very low socioeconomic background, 3.7/514, solid EC’s including clinical research. Not gonna lie, I’m a little surprised as I thought I would get an interview right away since I have gotten 2 II, including one from a top 5 school.. oh well, my fault for trying to make sense of the app process

Completed 9/1

So is basically everyone on re-review?

No, so far there have been three outcomes:

1. Nothing. Some people are in the silence squad.
2. Re-review: Some people have been placed on a pre-interview hold. Not quite a rejection, but also not an II. Basically still silence but at least someone looked at your app.
3. II: Some people have received an interview invitation.

At my interview (one of the first sessions but I won't say which to remain anonymous), they said that decisions would start coming out late October to November. I'd expect more movement around that time, especially if people with acceptances to other programs turn down their interviews at GWU.
So if you're on re-review that basically means "eh, we don't want you *that* bad. We'll take a look at you some other time if something better doesn't come in".?

LOL you make it sound like such a burn

But basically that's about right. They were pretty clear during the presentation on the admissions process that they really do read your app several times so I would count on your app being read seriously at least one more time. It ain't over till it's over, my friend. I forget where on this thread it was said, but people do come off of re-review later in the cycle (again likely due to interview declines and the likes). Don't lose hope! :)
Anything that ain't an interview invite is a burn my friend.

Reactions: 3 users
Complete 8/5, put on rereview yesterday!

So is basically everyone on re-review?
There have been many IIs, but last month they said 17,000 had already applied. Last year it was under 16,000 for the entire cycle and then only 17% of the 1000 that interviewed actually ended up matriculating. So don't give up hope just yet, but also realize it's an uphill battle against the numbers all the way until the end. Even after an II.

There have been many IIs, but last month they said 17,000 had already applied. Last year it was under 16,000 for the entire cycle and then only 17% of the 1000 that interviewed actually ended up matriculating. So don't give up hope just yet, but also realize it's an uphill battle against the numbers all the way until the end. Even after an II.

Wait? Where did you hear that? It seems pretty improbable that within a year, the number of applicants in an entire cycle to a med school happens within one month of the next cycle..not trying to shut you down, and I understand that numbers fluctuate but that seems crazy

Wait? Where did you hear that? It seems pretty improbable that within a year, the number of applicants in an entire cycle to a med school happens within one month of the next cycle..not trying to shut you down, and I understand that numbers fluctuate but that seems crazy
The data from last year is from MSAR. The ones for this year are what they told us at the interview last month when they explained that we may not hear back decisions until later than usual because of the unexpected high numbers.

Complete on 8/27 and no change.
So if we're not on re-review by now do you think it's safe to assume that it's a flat out pre-II rejection?

Complete on 8/27 and no change.
So if we're not on re-review by now do you think it's safe to assume that it's a flat out pre-II rejection?

Not necessarily! I was complete 8/14 and was put on re-review last Thursday. So if they're going in order, you still have some time, and if they're not, there's no need to worry yet

II yesterday, complete first week of August

Reactions: 5 users
I thought no change was better than re-review?

It sounds like re-review is better since I haven't seen a rejection post yet. So for all of us that haven't gotten an I yet they're either saying "I've reviewed you and need to do it again later"
Vs "I've reviewed you and I'm not going to do it again but I'm not sending you an II"
...sounds like a silent rejection to me

My status in the portal just switched to re-review, complete 8/23

For those who interviewed early September, do you know if we hear back oct 16? trying to stay sane here lol

For those who interviewed early September, do you know if we hear back oct 16? trying to stay sane here lol
They told us sometime in November at the very earliest. Something to the effect of the committee members not meeting until then and also having an unusually high number of applicants this year. Interviewed early September. Also trying to clutch on to my sanity.

Checked the portal and saw that I'm now on re-review

I was told it would take up to 2 months to review since they read over apps twice before making a decision. The committee only meets every other week and not every adcom is always present due to busy schedules. Hopefully we all get good news? T_T

Last edited:
Mine changed from “complete” to “we will review it again later”. So it means they didn’t like me enough to give me interview first time. Will they actually re-review or are they waiting for mid-October to send out a rejection when they send rest of the rejections?

I was told it would take up to 2 months to review since they read over apps twice before making a decision. The committee only meets every other week and not every adcom is always present due to busy schedules. Also losing my sanity haha...hopefully we all get good news? T_T
GW 2022, class of crazies. lol.

Reactions: 3 users
just to chime back in. Complete 8/27 put on re-review 10/6
Has GW rejected anyone at this point? Or is everyone on re-review if they're not offered an II on the spot any insight?

Complete 8/28/17, put on hold within a few weeks. LM 69.

I sent my update letter in several days ago but I don't see it added to my application on the portal. To those who sent updates - are you experiencing the same?
Mine wasn't added either but I got a automatic confirmation email that they received it.

would an update letter regarding an interesting new job with a connections between that and some programs of theirs be well-received?