2017-2018 Morehouse School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys! I called earlier this week I found out I was accepted, but I haven’t received the acceptance letter yet ( they said is on its way via regular mail). I know you have to send a letter of intent and a $100 deposit. My question is how do you send the deposit? A 100 dolar money order attached to the letter and send them to admissions or is there any other way? I guess everything is explaind in the acceptance letter, but I want to send them now so I dont have to wait until the letter arrives
Congrats !! Were you on the alternate list ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off the waitlist today!! The only school that could make me reconsider the one acceptance I was holding aftee April 30th. Gotta do some serious soul searching this weekend

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist today!! The only school that could make me reconsider the one acceptance I was holding aftee April 30th. Gotta do some serious soul searching this weekend
Congrats! Was it by mail?

I am looking for a roommate for the upcoming year, let me know if any of you are interested! I am looking at places in Atlanta and Smyrna.

Accepted Today via email. I’ve been waiting on this!!
Placed on Alternate list April 20th

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to all the people who have been getting accepted off the alternate list! Proud to call you my Morehouse brothers and sisters!

Can anyone speak to the curriculum at MSM? Is it true P/F? Do people like attending classes or do most people learn on their own? Any details on the cadaver lab (how many students per cadaver, use after hours, etc)? Is there a designated study break for STEP exams? How are the facilities?

Sorry for all the questions! I am trying to make a decision, but I don't remember ANYTHING from my interview several months ago lol. THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Also, when do classes start? Is there a schedule up for the classes/curriculum for 2018-2019 like there was for last year?

Thank you!

was accepted off of the alternate list on friday! but i withdrew my acceptance and im hoping it goes to someone else waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Waiting on my financial aid letter after being told I would receive it a month ago like...
stillwaiting.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
D
I did. Each week, they tell me I’ll get it that week. By Friday, my email inbox still dry.
DANG DUDE. After I called them they made sure to have it in by the end of the week. Maybe there might have been an error in your form that they're still trying to fix????

Just got off the waitlist! First MD acceptance!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today via e-mail! First acceptance!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!! This was the only school that could make me change my other acceptance... so much to think about

Can someone drop the link to the official Facebook page? Looking for a roommate and apartment lol

Can someone drop the link to the official Facebook page? Looking for a roommate and apartment lol

Not sure how to get the link but search “morehouse school of medicine class of 2022 - accepted candidates” on Facebook

To accepted students: how much are you pulling in loans? What's your monthly rent/utility expense budget? Just trying to get someone else's view

Is that the max?

Yeah looks like it. But they did say it's tentative. They may increase that amount this year. Atlanta real estate is getting more expensive by the day. This is just me speculating though.

Reactions: 1 users
It was a very hard decision but I declined my acceptance. Good Luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

this wait is ridiculous. Is anyone expecting we’ll hear something today?

this wait is ridiculous. Is anyone expecting we’ll hear something today?

I think at think point the class is full. The FB group is already over 100 students

Accepted off the waitlist at 10:30. After 3 years of applying, I can say it was all worth it. To everyone still waiting, there's still hope

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats class of 2022, is anyone looking for a roommate? Feel free to PM me. Thanks

Can anyone speak to the curriculum at MSM? Is it true P/F? Do people like attending classes or do most people learn on their own? Any details on the cadaver lab (how many students per cadaver, use after hours, etc)? Is there a designated study break for STEP exams? How are the facilities?

Sorry for all the questions! I am trying to make a decision, but I don't remember ANYTHING from my interview several months ago lol. THANK YOU GUYS!!!

For the first year, classes are 1hr 30min long. There are maximum of 4 classes in one day (often 2 or 3). Classes in the 1st year are: biochem, cell bio and histology, physiology, anatomy, and neuroanatomy. Step heavy subjects like pathology, pharmacology, and microbio are in 2nd year. It has its own good and bad.

It is not P/F. Curriculum is grade-based with no + or - system, i.e. no B+, B- (only B).

Classrooms are newly renovated with great recording systems. All the lectures are recorded and can be replayed later on. Attendance depends on personal preference. Some people just watch those lectures at their homes and only come for tests, and other are always in the class.

In cadaver lab, this year, most of the tables had 4 students, except 3 where there were 5 students. Cadaver lab is open 24hr. But honestly, this is such a small detail, no one should base their school selection on it.

I think there are 4 weeks of study break for STEP 1.

One thing I like about the school is, it incorporates NBME subject tests as a part of curriculum. We have to take them and the score counts towards our grade for the subject. This exposes us to USMLE-style questions right from the beginning. (good thing is we do not need to pay for those subject tests on our own. School takes care of it).

One thing that I dislike about the school is the library. It is not as big as you might see in other schools. There are only around 10-12 private rooms. When they are occupied, we study in public areas of library or go to conference rooms in other building. On the plus side, there is a massive Woodruff Library nearby that is available to all the students of nearby colleges with the student ID card.

Good luck with your decision.

So with Morehouse starting in early July rather than August, how does the yearly calendar compare at Morehouse than other med schools who start a bit later?

So with Morehouse starting in early July rather than August, how does the yearly calendar compare at Morehouse than other med schools who start a bit later?
The yearly calendar is not too different from other school. You will finish the year in May like most schools but the difference is when you start in July, you will take a course called "Basic Principles of Human Biology" which is supposed to put everyone to speed (including those who have been out of school for a while) before you start the real stuff in late august/early september.