You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Tulane University Application
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I just lost feeling in my toesAcceptance range ... 1/24
You d be fine.I just lost feeling in my toesIt begins!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted yesterday! Second acceptance, and now I don't feel like the first was a mistake!
Two questions from others who have been accepted. How long after the acceptance email did you receive your Gibson credentials? Also, has anyone found the Tulane addendum?
Best of luck everyone. The cycle is still going on, keep the hopes up and keep striving.
Two questions from others who have been accepted. How long after the acceptance email did you receive your Gibson credentials? Also, has anyone found the Tulane addendum?
Best of luck everyone. The cycle is still going on, keep the hopes up and keep striving.
D
deleted854547
Got an email from Dr. Kahn about a half-tuition renewable scholarship offer today!
Silence Pre-II since August >.<. .. Anyone else? Also anyone know if they are still sending out IIs?
silence since JulySilence Pre-II since August >.<. .. Anyone else? Also anyone know if they are still sending out IIs?
yes! got one recently after being complete since july. they had availability on a few (I think 4) interview days. from what admissions told me, people are likely to hear something by the end of this week because their last interviews are at the beginning of march. to those waiting to hear, godspeed!Silence Pre-II since August >.<. .. Anyone else? Also anyone know if they are still sending out IIs?
Anyone else interview around 1/20, and have yet to hear back? Trying to keep my spirits up
YES GOING CRAZYAnyone else interview around 1/20, and have yet to hear back? Trying to keep my spirits up
Same! Glad to know I'm not aloneYES GOING CRAZY
Accepted yesterday 🙂 Interviewed early December and was initially placed in "acceptance range." I sent in a letter of interest w/ updates, so if anyone's on the fence about sending something in I'd say go for it!
This is the best news I have heard all week! Congrats 🙂Accepted yesterday 🙂 Interviewed early December and was initially placed in "acceptance range." I sent in a letter of interest w/ updates, so if anyone's on the fence about sending something in I'd say go for it!
Accepted yesterday 🙂 Interviewed early December and was initially placed in "acceptance range." I sent in a letter of interest w/ updates, so if anyone's on the fence about sending something in I'd say go for it!
Did you send an intent or just express interest?
omg amazing! I just sent updates a couple days ago and expressed high interest. I thought they would wait until may to start sending out but this is giving me hope!!Accepted yesterday 🙂 Interviewed early December and was initially placed in "acceptance range." I sent in a letter of interest w/ updates, so if anyone's on the fence about sending something in I'd say go for it!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who is thinking about doing the MD/MPH program at Tulane? Having a hard time trying to decide whether it is just adding more stress to getting the MD degree...Any current students input on this?
I'm also interested in this information and I've done some (admittedly light) research about when the classes start for the mph summer classes. Does anybody else have that information?
If I get myself off of the waitlist I am considering the MD/MPH but I just don’t know how much it will help my career. I am finishing a grad certificate in public health so I think I can transfer credits towards it but MD degrees are hard LolWho is thinking about doing the MD/MPH program at Tulane? Having a hard time trying to decide whether it is just adding more stress to getting the MD degree...Any current students input on this?
Last edited:
My student interview is doing it, and we talked quite extensively about her experience. Apparently, the summer semester is super hectic and condensed. So, for sure...it's definitely stressful. Classes also begin the first Monday of June, so you're basically sacrificing your last summer of free time. If you're going to do the MD/MPH, the MPH component, it has to be something you really, really want to do. Many students end up finishing the entire program up in 5 years, instead of 4 (according to our student ambassadors). I wasn't able to get a straight answer as to why, but that's something to take into consideration when deciding to pursue this path. Despite this rant, I say go for it! I'm doing an MPH now and love it (just can't imagine doing it during medical school).Who is thinking about doing the MD/MPH program at Tulane? Having a hard time trying to decide whether it is just adding more stress to getting the MD degree...Any current students input on this?
Same I’m a full time PH student and even though it’s pretty easy to get solid grades it does require work. The material can be pretty boring at times and If I am sleep deprived PH text books are the last thing I want to open. One of our assignments this semester is to design a fictitious refugee camp for 4000 people in Sudan which would be very hard to do with the workload of med school.My student interview is doing it, and we talked quite extensively about her experience. Apparently, the summer semester is super hectic and condensed. So, for sure...it's definitely stressful. Classes also begin the first Monday of June, so you're basically sacrificing your last summer of free time. If you're going to do the MD/MPH, the MPH component, it has to be something you really, really want to do. Many students end up finishing the entire program up in 5 years, instead of 4 (according to our student ambassadors). I wasn't able to get a straight answer as to why, but that's something to take into consideration when deciding to pursue this path. Despite this rant, I say go for it! I'm doing an MPH now and love it (just can't imagine doing it during medical school).
Many students end up finishing the entire program up in 5 years, instead of 4 (according to our student ambassadors).
4th year here. I don't know anyone from our class who is taking the 5th year to finish the MPH because they couldn't do it in 4. People who do the MD/MPH in 5 years instead of 4 took the extra year for an entirely different reason such as:
- wanting to do a research year for a competitive specialty
- not being able to decide on a specialty before applying for residency and needing something productive to do for a year while they figured their life out
- buying themselves a year to couples match with someone in the class below
- etc
In short, it's totally doable to finish the degree in 4 years and most people do just that.
4th year here. I don't know anyone from our class who is taking the 5th year to finish the MPH because they couldn't do it in 4. People who do the MD/MPH in 5 years instead of 4 took the extra year for an entirely different reason such as:
- wanting to do a research year for a competitive specialty
- not being able to decide on a specialty before applying for residency and needing something productive to do for a year while they figured their life out
- buying themselves a year to couples match with someone in the class below
- etc
In short, it's totally doable to finish the degree in 4 years and most people do just that.
But is it possible to also do research (such as the DeBakey program), student clinics and other activities along with MPH or is it very limiting with the time?
But is it possible to also do research (such as the DeBakey program), student clinics and other activities along with MPH or is it very limiting with the time?
Disclaimer: I didn't do an MPH but a bunch of my friends did.
Yes, there is time for those things. Something like 30% of my class did an MPH. They are heavily involved in a variety of other activities. Much like with everything in life and med school, you have to prioritize and learn to be efficient. The MPH becomes another extracurricular activity, somewhat on the more time-intensive end of activities, but it still leaves time to do clinics, research, etc. Maybe not ALL of those things, but there's time for at least a few more.
I was just talking to a close friend about their MPH and they said that their experience is more watered down than if they had done the MPH without med school. It's not that the classes are any different (all MPH classes are taken with full-time MPH students) but that their focus was more on the MD and so they didn't take the MPH as seriously as they would've liked. They also said the MPH classes were less dense so studying for the MPH was a nice break from the grind of memorizing textbooks for med school. They're AOA (med school honors society...top 10% of our class) and they're involved in other activities as well.
Another MPHer has 5 kids and is pursuing a very competitive specialty, meaning he did well academically as well. Every time I complain about not having enough time to learn everything and do fun things, I think of him and stop my bitching.
In short, yes, you have time for things outside of school. You do sacrifice a summer for MPH classes (either the summer before med school starts or the summer between T1 and T2) so there's that. But after having med school classes all year and adjusting to that volume of information, I hear the summer MPH classes feel much more relaxed and it doesn't feel like you lose out much on summer relaxation.
During the preclinical years, everyone has Wednesday and Friday afternoons free of classes to accommodate those doing the MPH. So it's somewhat built into the curriculum.
...even though it’s pretty easy to get solid grades it does require work.
From what my MPH friends say, they also didn't go for "solid" MPH grades. Academically, they cared more about the MD material because they were going for competitive specialities (or competitive locations) and wanted to do well on step, while their MPH transcript wasn't going to impact their career choices as long as they did enough to get the degree.
Anyone have an inkling when the rest of us January interviewees will hear back?
From what my MPH friends say, they also didn't go for "solid" MPH grades. Academically, they cared more about the MD material because they were going for competitive specialities (or competitive locations) and wanted to do well on step, while their MPH transcript wasn't going to impact their career choices as long as they did enough to get the degree.
That makes sense! Thank you for adding your insight to this thread. As long as I can get off the waitlist I may just do the MD/MPH program!
Does anyone know the odds of coming off the waitlist or how many people end up coming off the waitlist?
I heard that 66% of interviewies get accepted, which includes waitlist. Hoping that that's correct!Does anyone know the odds of coming off the waitlist or how many people end up coming off the waitlist?
That's what msar said 🙂I heard that 66% of interviewies get accepted, which includes waitlist. Hoping that that's correct!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think they are the same.I interviewed in 09/2017 and was placed in acceptance range. Just checked the portal yesterday and it now says waitlist. Anyone got any idea what that means? Was my file reviewed again? What's the difference between acceptance range and waitlist?
Declining my acceptance offer. Hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck to all!
Has anyone else emailed Dr. Morris LOI, updates, TYLs, etc and not get a response? I'm ok with getting no response, but (on the other hand) my emails may be going into her spam folder 🙁
Has anyone else emailed Dr. Morris LOI, updates, TYLs, etc and not get a response? I'm ok with getting no response, but (on the other hand) my emails may be going into her spam folder 🙁
I just uploaded updates to the online portal
Has anyone else emailed Dr. Morris LOI, updates, TYLs, etc and not get a response? I'm ok with getting no response, but (on the other hand) my emails may be going into her spam folder 🙁
+1 letter of interest uploaded to the portal. Interviewed in September.
Does anybody know if interviews are done?
Pretty sure there's one or two dates in MarchDoes anybody know if interviews are done?
Last edited:
Thank you!Pretty sure there's one or two dates in March
Has anyone else emailed Dr. Morris LOI, updates, TYLs, etc and not get a response? I'm ok with getting no response, but (on the other hand) my emails may be going into her spam folder 🙁
I think email is fine. I emailed mine (from a .edu address) and although she did not respond to my email at all she let my advisor know she had received it!
Does anyone know if they're still interviewing/sending ii?
Interviewed 01/24 and placed in acceptance range today!
Interviewed 01/24 and placed in acceptance range today!
Aw, I'm sorry, but it looks like you've got a handful of acceptances! So, congrats soon-to-be Dr. 🙂
I think on Wednesday they said they had two more: 3/2 (today) and then one more after that next week. Could very well have heard that wrong, but sounds like next week they are wrapping up.Does anyone know if they're still interviewing/sending ii?
congrats!! when you expressed interested and sent in a letter of interest, where did you send it too? i am also on the acceptance range and will take any help I can get!Accepted yesterday 🙂 Interviewed early December and was initially placed in "acceptance range." I sent in a letter of interest w/ updates, so if anyone's on the fence about sending something in I'd say go for it!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats!! when you expressed interested and sent in a letter of interest, where did you send it too? i am also on the acceptance range and will take any help I can get!
After the interview (and before finding out about my "acceptance range" status), I sent an email to Dr. Morris that expressed strong interest and explained why I thought I was a good fit for the program (tbh it was actually kinda heartfelt haha, Tulane was my favorite program of all the schools I interviewed at). I never received any confirmation that it was received, so after being placed in acceptance range I uploaded a similar letter of interest to my portal. I also included some updates in the letter. Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone still waiting for a final decision!!
Any 2/1/18 folks hear anything yet?
Is there a way to withdraw on the secodnary site or do you have to email?
I interviewed at Tulane 1/19 (was supposed to interview 1/16 but got moved due to weather). I haven't heard anything and don't know where to look for the "acceptance range,".. is anyone in same boat? Is not being rejected 3-5 weeks after interview a good sign?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K