2017-2018 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I sent them my letter through Interfolio then checked if they got it via the portal.

Thanks so much for your response! One question - did you tell interfolio to send it the admissions email?

Also, was this post-interview for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I know it’s a bit late in the game, but I recently got the paper I spent all of my undergrad on published. I’d love to share an abstract or something with the AdCom, but I know I can’t use attachments in the portal. Is this worthwhile or would it be extraneous?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any pre-II movement? Been complete since early Aug. and still haven't heard a thing. I've sent updates and they've accepted them.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for your response! One question - did you tell interfolio to send it the admissions email?

Also, was this post-interview for you?
Sorry, just saw this I'm not on SDN much. I had my writer upload it to Interfolio, then I sent it to AMCAS via interfolio, then from the primary application I added that letter to be sent to UCI. Pretty much just like what you did for all the other letters, then I checked in with UCI. Yes, this was post interview.

Just got an II right now. Am I interviewing for waitlist spots now?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, just saw this I'm not on SDN much. I had my writer upload it to Interfolio, then I sent it to AMCAS via interfolio, then from the primary application I added that letter to be sent to UCI. Pretty much just like what you did for all the other letters, then I checked in with UCI. Yes, this was post interview.

Have you seen this thread? Additional recommendation letter - update or amcas? It's making me think of not sending my letter :/ Did Dr. Peterson say anything specific about LORs after the interview? I can only remember her talk about updates.

Question for current/incoming students:as class is optional, I'm wondering how many days a week it is necessary to come to school. I ask because I may want to stay put for all four years in an apartment 15 min away from the med school. I feel like it's better to live closer to the hospital because I'll be spending way more time there for M3 & M4 than I will at the actual medical school. Could I get away with only coming to campus 3 days a week or not really? Thank you :)

Is interviewing in April = very low acceptance rate because most of the class is full? I'm assuming April is the last of the interviews too?

Is interviewing in April = very low acceptance rate because most of the class is full? I'm assuming April is the last of the interviews too?

I wouldn’t say very low, probably less likely to get a direct admission vs. earlier in the season due to less spots.

My impression was the existing waitlist doesn’t start moving till after the April interviews, which means you could slide in front of them.

Last year April 17th was the last interview day.

I wouldn’t say very low, probably less likely to get a direct admission vs. earlier in the season due to less spots.

My impression was the existing waitlist doesn’t start moving till after the April interviews, which means you could slide in front of them.

Where are you getting this information from? The waitlist is unranked and there is no placement for the waitlist, thus no "slide in front". I called and asked. The admin on the phone replied that everyone who is receiving an interview, no matter at what time period of the process, has an equal chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you getting this information from? The waitlist is unranked and there is no placement for the waitlist, thus no "slide in front". I called and asked. The admin on the phone replied that everyone who is receiving an interview, no matter at what time period of the process, has an equal chance of acceptance.

Not getting it anywhere, hence “my impression”. Hm would be rather illogical if the waitlist was not ordered in some fashion.

That sounds great. I hope that’s true. Best of luck to all the new interviewees.

So you called the office and asked directly? That's great news to hear! But I find it hard to believe that interviewing now has the same equal chance of acceptance as interviewing back in Sept when the class was still empty.

So you called the office and asked directly? That's great news to hear! But I find it hard to believe that interviewing now has the same equal chance of acceptance as interviewing back in Sept when the class was still empty.

I remember meeting a UCI admin rep at a med school fair and someone asked the question of disadvantages for a late interview and their response back then was "no, there is no any disadvantages as we still processing the ques of the completed applications". I simply just called to confirm, I am not applying this cycle anyway so they can't catch me :p

I interviewed here a few weeks ago and one of the first things they told us was that almost everyone would be waitlisted. During Dr. Peterson's presentation she certainly made it seem like we were interviewing for a waitlist spot. She and the other representatives from admissions kept repeating that they can't overbook the class and very, very few people interviewing now would be directly accepted. Although I definitely like the idea of having an equal chance better!

Have you seen this thread? Additional recommendation letter - update or amcas? It's making me think of not sending my letter :/ Did Dr. Peterson say anything specific about LORs after the interview? I can only remember her talk about updates.
I hadn't seen that and don't think anything was said at the interview day. Honestly, I don't think it will hurt but cannot give you a straight up answer. The person's scenario in that thread though is a little different since they are not on the waitlist and seem to be on II hold. At the end of the day, it is your call.

I interviewed here a few weeks ago and one of the first things they told us was that almost everyone would be waitlisted. During Dr. Peterson's presentation she certainly made it seem like we were interviewing for a waitlist spot. She and the other representatives from admissions kept repeating that they can't overbook the class and very, very few people interviewing now would be directly accepted. Although I definitely like the idea of having an equal chance better!

dang.. so interviewing in April would be basically interviewing for a waitlist spot, and since waitlist isn't ranked, it would be more like interviewing for one of the last spots on the waitlist since so many people earlier on in the cycle have alrdy been waitlisted? Is it still worth interviewing here then? I love this school :(

Does anyone know how UCI prefers to receive an extra LOR?

I'm waitlisted, so do I ask my letter writer to send it directly to the admissions email or should I ask them to send it to Interfolio to be sent to AMCAS, who will send it to UCI?

I think the LOR would reach UCI using either method but I’m not sure which method is better.

I know it’s a bit late in the game, but I recently got the paper I spent all of my undergrad on published. I’d love to share an abstract or something with the AdCom, but I know I can’t use attachments in the portal. Is this worthwhile or would it be extraneous?

I think a publication is a significant update so you could write an update letter that talks about the publication.

As far as I understand, AdCom tries to keep it fair by extending roughly an equal number of acceptances per interview day. Interviewing late should not put you at a disadvantage as they should accept about the same number of applicants as any other interview day.

This is not true. To maintain fairness, AdCom tries to accept approximately the same number of applicants per interview day so interviewing late would not be a disadvantage.

There are many people who interviewed during the last couple of interview days last year that are MS1s now.

So after completing all my interviews and thinking about it, I’ve decided UCI is where I’d like to end up. I was just wondering if it would work to my advantage to send a letter of intent before they make a decision on me or if it’s best to wait until after decisions come out if I end up on the waitlist?
Thanks!

Not sure about this. If I were in your shoes, I would wait until after your post-interview decision is released. However I would say go with your gut instinct.

Question for current/incoming students:as class is optional, I'm wondering how many days a week it is necessary to come to school. I ask because I may want to stay put for all four years in an apartment 15 min away from the med school. I feel like it's better to live closer to the hospital because I'll be spending way more time there for M3 & M4 than I will at the actual medical school. Could I get away with only coming to campus 3 days a week or not really? Thank you :)

The schedule of mandatory classes fluctuates each week but most lectures are not mandatory. However, you’ll have a combo of clinical sessions (one afternoon each week), small group sessions, and anatomy dissections spread out through the week so I would say you’ll probably end up being on campus at least 3x per week during first year (at least for the fall semester).

There are students that live 15+ mins away from the med school campus and the commute doesn’t seem like it’s too big of a factor for them. A good number of students live near the med school campus during the first two years and move closer to the UCI Med Center once 3rd year starts.

dang.. so interviewing in April would be basically interviewing for a waitlist spot, and since waitlist isn't ranked, it would be more like interviewing for one of the last spots on the waitlist since so many people earlier on in the cycle have alrdy been waitlisted? Is it still worth interviewing here then? I love this school :(

Do the best you can with the interview. That’s the part you can control.

As I’ve mentioned, I don’t believe the April interviews are just for waitlist spots. A good number of students that interviewed on the last interview day in the past were given straight acceptances. I would imagine that to be the case this year also.

The schedule of mandatory classes fluctuates each week but most lectures are not mandatory. However, you’ll have a combo of clinical sessions (one afternoon each week), small group sessions, and anatomy dissections spread out through the week so I would say you’ll probably end up being on campus at least 3x per week during first year (at least for the fall semester).

There are students that live 15+ mins away from the med school campus and the commute doesn’t seem like it’s too big of a factor for them. A good number of students live near the med school campus during the first two years and move closer to the UCI Med Center once 3rd year starts.
Thank you so much, this is really helpful.

Just got an II! :clap::clap:Only date was April 3rd

Reactions: 2 users
Is April 3rd the last of all interview dates?

Pretty sure I just got silent rejected here. No email, but my portal says Not Advanced. Weird.

Just got the R email after 7 months of silence. So long to my IS hopes. OOS private school, here I come.

Pre-II rejection just now unfortunately :(

Pre-II rejection too! Did anybody else's rejection email include information about a conditional acceptance program?

Pre-II rejection too! Did anybody else's rejection email include information about a conditional acceptance program?
Yeah, how do you feel about it? Seems like a Post-Bac but paid for..? Ugh..

R just now. This was my top choice and was my last chance to stay in CA.

OOS med school here I come!

It def sounds like Post-Bacc. I read somewhere they only accept 4-5 a year.

Conditional students take some classes with the MS1s and it's similar to some SMPs affiliated with med schools. It's a chance to demonstrate you can handle the rigor of med school.

How many people generally apply to the post bacc?

The conditional program is separate from the post-bac program. The conditional program is where you take some MS1 classes for one year while the post-bac is where you would take various lower/upper div bio UCI undergraduate classes. I don't believe you can apply to the conditional program. From what I understand, it's offered to applicants who apply to UCI med via AMCAS and are well-rounded applicants but would benefit from a year of med school classes before being considered for admissions. It's similar to SMPs that are affiliated with medical schools where it's a chance to demonstrate you can handle the academic rigor of medical school.

So if I tell I’m interested, since I was asked, I would begin this coming summer? No interview or application needed? Just to be clear.

Anyone know the actual timeline for those in the conditional acceptance program? I saw the post bacc schedule which starts in the summer. Are we to assume it’s the same or strictly fall/winter/spring?