2017-2018 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but anyone know if UNC is receptive to in the area emails? I’ll be in NC in january

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has already been asked on here, but how long are the two interviews here?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this has already been asked on here, but how long are the two interviews here?

Thanks in advance!
30-45 minutes. The schedule is VERY relaxed.

Last edited:
Really hoping to get more

30-45 minutes. The schedule is VERY relaxed.
Okay awesome! It also said certain days start at 8:30 and some at 10, whats that about??

Okay awesome! It also said certain days start at 8:30 and some at 10, whats that about??
Mondays start at 10 and I believe Tuesdays start at 8. It's just accommodating the interviewers preferences. If you've interviewed at places that give presentations and a really extensive tour..it's not going to be like that. It kind of threw me off. You'll get there and pretty much just sit for an hour or so, some people will pop in and out to say hi and steal cookies, some students will show you the sim lab and Med student lounge, you'll eat a box lunch from your lap and then do your interviews. When your two interviews are over, you leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Monday's start at 10 and I believe Tuesday's start at 8. It's just accommodating the interviewers preferences. If you've interviewed at places that give presentations and a really extensive tour..it's not going to be like that. It kind of threw me off. You'll get there and pretty much just sit for an hour or so, some people will pop in and out to say hi and steal cookies, some students will show you the sim lab and Med student lounge, you'll eat a box lunch from your lap and then do your interviews. When your two interviews are over, you leave.
What in the.. hahaha thanks so much for the replies, super helpful info!

Not that I know of. They interview three days a week here so that would be a lot of eventing.

Is there a student event the night before the interviews here? I'm trying to buy my tickets and was wondering if I should get there a little earlier if there is one.
No there is not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the II!! Are you a first time applicant or a re-app, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard they review them separately

Congrats on the II!! Are you a first time applicant or a re-app, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard they review them separately
Thank you!!! First time traditional applicant! I know another IS traditional applicant who got an II today as well

Hey any IS applicant with LizzyM >70 that was complete in July not heard anything yet?

Any OOS students here anything recently? Does UNC tend to interview OOS first, then move on to IS (like Michigan), or is it a mixed bag where they'll interview whoever?

Any OOS students here anything recently? Does UNC tend to interview OOS first, then move on to IS (like Michigan), or is it a mixed bag where they'll interview whoever?

Eh. Hard to say. I interviewed in Sept and there was a good amount OOS.

Any idea if UNC is receptive to ITA's? I'm at duke mid-december and it would be great to coordinate if possible

Welp. This is the week for interviewees. Hopefully hear *something*

Has it been radio silence for everyone else so far this week? Was hoping some of us might get some good news

Has it been radio silence for everyone else so far this week? Was hoping some of us might get some good news
Silence here... interviewed end of October. I've optimistically had my phone on loud since Monday and been checking my email approximately every three minutes

Any other reapps still waiting on an II? Received one very early last year and have done lots of things to strengthen my application but still nothin

Reactions: 1 users
Any other reapps still waiting on an II? Received one very early last year and have done lots of things to strengthen my application but still nothin

I'm in the same boat as you. Received an early II last year as well and feel my application is much stronger this time around. I called about a week ago to confirm that my file is complete (I never got an official complete email) and Joni told me they tend to go over reapplications later than first time apps. If that's the case we'll just have to be patient and keep our hopes up

I'm in the same boat as you. Received an early II last year as well and feel my application is much stronger this time around. I called about a week ago to confirm that my file is complete (I never got an official complete email) and Joni told me they tend to go over reapplications later than first time apps. If that's the case we'll just have to be patient and keep our hopes up

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I'm also a reapplicant and I interviewed in September. Still haven't heard anything back yet though

Same, even spoke with them last year and did everything they said and still waiting... getting nervous...

Gotcha, from what I understand UNC will release acceptance decisions quickly, but not hearing back quickly =/= rejection or wait list, sometimes you are kept in limbo until a later date after review of your application. But for reference I interviewed in mid-October and heard back in early November. And for what its worth, I got a call first and the email didn't follow until a few days later.

Gotcha, from what I understand UNC will release acceptance decisions quickly, but not hearing back quickly =/= rejection or wait list, sometimes you are kept in limbo until a later date after review of your application. But for reference I interviewed in mid-October and heard back in early November. And for what its worth, I got a call first and the email didn't follow until a few days later.

Sure but then again. If you are rejected post-II they wont let you know till later anyway.

Thats what I hate most of all, if you have a decision. If you (UNC) know you aren't admitting me; just tell me.

Same boat here --I am a reapplicant, too... had a meeting with an admissions officer last year and was given recommendations on improvement...have done those and have been waiting for an II since I was complete early August. I have heard from multiple people what was just said by someone above that UNC reviews reapps later. I feel that we are now kind of in the "later" range so I'm hoping for all of us reapps that there is good news just around the corner! Good luck everyone

Reactions: 1 users
If I don't receive an II right now, does it mean that I shouldn't expect it anymore? I'd really really love to go here because of their international health experience and I'm in-state :( My premed advisor suggested that I send them a letter of interest, but I don't know if it'd even be read since they say no updates pre-II. Can anyone shed some insights on this? Thank you very much.

If I don't receive an II right now, does it mean that I shouldn't expect it anymore? I'd really really love to go here because of their international health experience and I'm in-state :( My premed advisor suggested that I send them a letter of interest, but I don't know if it'd even be read since they say no updates pre-II. Can anyone shed some insights on this? Thank you very much.
If the letter is not read it's not read but it definitely won't be read if it's not sent. I've interviewed at programs that don't accept updates that also say all correspondence is kept in your file (including thank you notes) so make what you will of that, but I would send it.

If the letter is not read it's not read but it definitely won't be read if it's not sent. I've interviewed at programs that don't accept updates that also say all correspondence is kept in your file (including thank you notes) so make what you will of that, but I would send it.
The amount of negatives in the first sentence got my head hurting.

Did you interview in the week of 10/15 or before that week?

Anyone admitted this week?

II! IS, Complete 9/16, Earliest date is 1/9.

Hi, all. Long time lurker. I was just wondering...does UNC seem to send II's in order of completion date? I see that those who were complete in early September are now receiving II's. I was complete on 9/20, so I'm getting anxious.

Hi, all. Long time lurker. I was just wondering...does UNC seem to send II's in order of completion date? I see that those who were complete in early September are now receiving II's. I was complete on 9/20, so I'm getting anxious.

My friend just recently received an interview and was complete in late July, but I was complete around the same time and got an II in early September. It seems like they review and re-review throughout the cycle, so don't lose hope!

I was complete 8/20 as well. Haven't heard anything. IS LizzyM 68