2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No new tabs, but the "withdraw application" tab disappeared...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 to the alternate list, but I will be withdrawing. Best of luck to those sticking it out!

Tabs for Alternate list. I can breathe now. Not rejected!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This happened to people last cycle but I don't remember why off the top of my head, so you may want to check out the thread from last year

Reactions: 1 users
Got alternate tabs as well. Is anything binding if we get accepted off the wait-list? I got accepted at another school and would have to give it some thought if I were to accept this wait-list spot and somehow get in.

I think you have 2 weeks to decide after being accepted. I think it's different if it's after April 30 though. There's an option that says "I have another acceptance but still want to be on the WL" so maybe that puts you in another category?

This happened to people last cycle but I don't remember why off the top of my head, so you may want to check out the thread from last year
Looked at last year's thread. Same thing happened to a couple people but no one figured out if it was good or bad.

+1 Will position/rank show on the portal or thru email?
I heard that they don't tell you. Now we can all neurotically keep checking our portal pages everyday since they also don't always send an email when your portal's been updated

Wait, are the alternate list tabs confirmation that we're on the alternate list? Or that they know that we want to be on the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was the first time I checked today, the actual status didn't change I don't think, theres just a new tab

+1 alternate list... VCU I want you so bad!

Wait, are the alternate list tabs confirmation that we're on the alternate list? Or that they know that we want to be on the alternate list?

I’m assuming that receiving the alternate list tab means the school has decided to place us on the list, and wish to know if you want to confirm this - the trend seems to be an email is usually followed up within a day (or the following Monday in this case) after portal updates. I’m guessing stating whether you have other acceptances or not are simply data for them to evaluate how the cycle goes and to prepare for the next cycle. Fingers crossed they pick us by April 30th!

Does anyone know if there is anyway I can check my portal from my phone? I’m out camping in Utah and will be for the next six days with no laptop :(

Alternate list! Yay! Do we think that having been accepted elsewhere changes your chance of getting off the list or is just for statistical purposes?
An argument can be made either way but it is collected for a reason. It probably is a way to help the committee make decisions before the National Acceptance Report is released on May 1st.

An argument can be made either way but it is collected for a reason. It probably is a way to help the committee make decisions before the National Acceptance Report is released on May 1st.
Agree. Maybe I'm biased but I like to think that the people who don't have an acceptance may be more likely to get an acceptance faster since they'd be guaranteed to go there. Just a theory.

On the other hand, people with an acceptances have clearly proved something about them is good enough to become a physician but who knows for sure.

AL as well
Does anybody remember when Dr MWC said they would start pulling people off the alternate list?
FWIW I interviewed in early March

+1.

I think this means a rejection unfortunately. The way I'm interpreting it is: the "withdraw application" disappeared because they have made that decision for us. And looking at last year's thread, the ones who also had this tab disappear were not placed on the AL. We gave it our best shot to VCU this cycle! Hopefully next year but this is the end of the road for me for this cycle. Good luck to all on the waitlist, I hope you hear good news in the coming months.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone get rejected post interview?

Got a status change as well after responding to the Alternate List questions the other day. Very short statement compared to the typical On Hold statement.

This is to acknowledge receipt of your response to the Alternate List.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepting my spot on the waitlist is not binding, right? I have another acceptance but I'm interested in both.

Agree. Maybe I'm biased but I like to think that the people who don't have an acceptance may be more likely to get an acceptance faster since they'd be guaranteed to go there. Just a theory.

On the other hand, people with an acceptances have clearly proved something about them is good enough to become a physician but who knows for sure.

According to GynGyn, by this point in the cycle schools can see acceptance data for applicants on their wait list just like they can see them for their accepted students. So I'm really not sure what the point of the question is, just be honest.

Hello, I am asking for a friend. Do schools like UMass/VCU/UVA drug test? If so, when and what kind of test (i.e urine, hair)?

Hello, I am asking for a friend. Do schools like UMass/VCU/UVA drug test? If so, when and what kind of test (i.e urine, hair)?
Of course they do. It’s just when that changes between schools. I think VCU does it before clinicals

Daily routine:
9am: check the applicant portal, check SDN
11am: check the applicant portal, check SDN
1pm: check the applicant portal, check SDN
...3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, 11pm...
Repeat
:help:

Reactions: 11 users
Hi! Do any current students know the timeline for hearing back re: financial aid packages/scholarships? Need-based or merit?

Hi! Do any current students know the timeline for hearing back re: financial aid packages/scholarships? Need-based or merit?
i called the financial aid office and they told me that they usually send the financial aid stuff around mid April!

In case anyone else was wondering about the WL, we're all rank ordered and sent offers in the order of the list. According to the admissions office, the Committee also doesn't physically look at any of the updates submitted (I don't know what happens to them) which makes it sound like it's all based on your original app and interview. Sad to say I had a great LOI written that I can't submit :(. Oh well

In case anyone else was wondering about the WL, we're all rank ordered and sent offers in the order of the list. According to the admissions office, the Committee also doesn't physically look at any of the updates submitted (I don't know what happens to them) which makes it sound like it's all based on your original app and interview. Sad to say I had a great LOI written that I can't submit :(. Oh well

Dang, I wonder why Dr. Cook implied that LOI would be considered during my interview day if the WL is ranked. /:

Dang, I wonder why Dr. Cook implied that LOI would be considered during my interview day if the WL is ranked. /:
I don't know. Since multiple people said they heard that, I'm wondering if there's still a chance and it's worth submitting an LOI. I guess we've got nothing to lose

I wonder if they would tell us our ranking on the waitlist if we asked...

I wonder if they would tell us our ranking on the waitlist if we asked...
I tried, they said it's confidential. I also tried to break it down but they said they couldn't tell me whether I was in the top half or the bottom half