2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, last cycle I applied with a 491 MCAT, 3.8 sGPA, and a 3.6 cGPA. Other than that I have a few publications, great LOR, and a lot of extra curriculars. I was given a decision deferred and was not offered an interview. I brought my MCAT up to a 500 and have had 5 interviews this cycle and was the first group of interviewees at WVSOM. I deferred two interviews and have 2 acceptances (WV and KCOM) thus far and was waitlisted at one school. Not to say you won't get an interview, but your MCAT is definitely a little on the weak side. It won't hurt to apply and I'd advise to start focusing on bringing your MCAT up and you should be golden. I wish the best for you, good luck!
My story is the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call them or just wait for it to arrive in email?

I just waited! My acceptance call was on 9/13, and I received my email on 9/18 and my portal was updated then as well.

Just received the “your app is still on deferred status and will be reviewed again in January” email. At least I know my app isnt lost! Crossing fingers for good news in January!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I got my acceptance email today. Do you get the information about housing after you pay the deposit?

II withdrawn 1/5/2018, if anyone wants to move up in their interview date. Best of luck to everyone! Looks like a fantastic school.

Does anyone know how becoming a resident of WV works? I'm moving my family out there this spring. I read something that said you only have to be in the state 30 days to be a resident and something else that said that you couldn't obtain residency if you were just attending school there.

Does anyone know how becoming a resident of WV works? I'm moving my family out there this spring. I read something that said you only have to be in the state 30 days to be a resident and something else that said that you couldn't obtain residency if you were just attending school there.

if that is a thing.. lemme know.. cuz i would do the same.

I have asked and heard that whatever your application status is (in state or out of state) that is the tuition rate you pay for the 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance withdrawn today; good luck to all waiting to hear from WVSOM!

Also withdrawing my acceptance here.. Was a super difficult decision, this is a really great school. :) I am going to be attending UNECOM instead -- closer to home, a better fit for me.

I hope my spot will be enjoyed by one of you!

I know I'm late to the game, but I too withdrew my acceptance here a few weeks ago. My choice to do so was extremely difficult because I truly liked everything about the school, however, I have options closer to home and I think keeping my support network close will be best. Like Jdp00921 I too will most likely be attending GCSOM instead :happy:

GCSOM in PA!

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congratulations to all who have been accepted. WVSOM is a wonderful school with wonderful faculty; and they will make you into wonderful doctors. Have a happy new year!

When was everyone planning on starting their health/technical standards form, etc?? Should I now or should I not worry until after I submit my second deposit?

When was everyone planning on starting their health/technical standards form, etc?? Should I now or should I not worry until after I submit my second deposit?

I have my physical scheduled for the forms! I don't think it matters when you get it done as long as it's done before it's due :)

WVSOM seems like a great school and I'm hoping there are still some spots for interviews. Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those already invited to interview/accepted!

Reactions: 4 users

I tried this exact thing. Moved out with my wife to WV the spring before matriculation. I asked an admin at WVSOM and they said I had to be living in WV a full year before applying to WVSOM.

I tried this exact thing. Moved out with my wife to WV the spring before matriculation. I asked an admin at WVSOM and they said I had to be living in WV a full year before applying to WVSOM.
Did you status change after you lived there a year? My husband will be working during my first year and thus we will be paingWV taxes. I'm not sure why that wouldn't count?

Did you status change after you lived there a year? My husband will be working during my first year and thus we will be paingWV taxes. I'm not sure why that wouldn't count?

My wife worked at GVMC as a nurse so unfortunately that doesn't count. They have pretty strict rules on how to attain "WV resident" status. Basically, the bottom line is you had to grow up there. Or plan way ahead, move out to WV a year prior to applying.

You are also locked in to your tuition when you start and it can't be changed.

Reactions: 1 users
My wife worked at GVMC as a nurse so unfortunately that doesn't count. They have pretty strict rules on how to attain "WV resident" status. Basically, the bottom line is you had to grow up there. Or plan way ahead, move out to WV a year prior to applying.

You are also locked in to your tuition when you start and it can't be changed.
bummer, but it is what it is. Thanks!

Got an invite for an interview today and scheduled my interview about about 10mins ago.

Does anyone know how you choose your 4th year rotations? I saw someone posted on here that there was some video on the website...I cant find it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Does anyone know how you choose your 4th year rotations? I saw someone posted on here that there was some video on the website...I cant find it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Pretty sure I linked it a few pages back. I will repost it when I get back to my desktop.

4th year you have two options: 1) you can continue at your base campus site which is by far the easiest option or 2) you can set up your own. I'm doing all my 4th year rotations back in Minnesota. The school will help you but a lot of the initiative and leg work is on you the student. Wasn't too bad though.

Pretty sure I linked it a few pages back. I will repost it when I get back to my desktop.

4th year you have two options: 1) you can continue at your base campus site which is by far the easiest option or 2) you can set up your own. I'm doing all my 4th year rotations back in Minnesota. The school will help you but a lot of the initiative and leg work is on you the student. Wasn't too bad though.

thank ya that would be great!

Anyone went from deferred to II yet?

What does a decision deferred mean at this school? Is it a soft rejection?

What does a decision deferred mean at this school? Is it a soft rejection?

At this late in the game, kind of sort of.

It means that they are anticipating better applicants and hence cannot recommend an II and may be waiting on some MCAT score or grades which ofcourse you would know.

did anyone with deferred send them an update to their email after it was verified by AACOMAS or just let it update itself?

At this late in the game, kind of sort of.

It means that they are anticipating better applicants and hence cannot recommend an II and may be waiting on some MCAT score or grades which ofcourse you would know.
Is there a difference between deferred status and being listed as still under review. I was complete in early October and the email I got right before the holidays said “your application is still being considered as it remains in the “Under Review” status.”

Is there a difference between deferred status and being listed as still under review. I was complete in early October and the email I got right before the holidays said “your application is still being considered as it remains in the “Under Review” status.”

It probably means, your candidacy is on the fence for an II. They are not anticipating any new grade changes or MCATs score probably, and what they have infront of them is as best as it can be (unless you were to give updates), that said, this is high time right now where a lot of the MD rejects start to fall back on DO and hence get an influx of higher caliber candidates, hence why you see movement from Feb-till about June trickle down all the way to the newest of new DO schools.

I know youve been told this many times, but admissions is a very manual process and for WVSOM, its not a number hungry school, they do look at all the applicants within range holistically. Its a good and bad thing, good because it gives you a chance to showcase other areas in your application, bad well it takes a while to go through each application.

If you have something to update them with, I would go ahead and do that.

Does anyone know how long does it take for the school to review your application and invite you for an interview after submission of a secondary?

Does anyone know how long does it take for the school to review your application and invite you for an interview after submission of a secondary?
That's kind of a loaded question. Rarely do schools have a specific time schedule for when applications are to be reviewed and for when decisions are made. If you have your application turned in, then unfortunately you just have to play the waiting game. Although, it might be worth your time to email admissions. I inquired about my application and they replied that I would be receiving an interview invite soon after.

I submitted my secondary on 8/2 and have been "under review" since beginning of September. I recently received an II for 1/26. I was curious if this is still for an actual spot or the alternate list and was wondering if anyone could possibly give me some feedback? I am very excited and don't want to be disappointed if its only for alternate! Thanks

I submitted my secondary on 8/2 and have been "under review" since beginning of September. I recently received an II for 1/26. I was curious if this is still for an actual spot or the alternate list and was wondering if anyone could possibly give me some feedback? I am very excited and don't want to be disappointed if its only for alternate! Thanks

I Interviewed 1/19 last year and it was around that time the IIs were for alternate list

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats, not lizzy. Still waiting over here :(

Dang, thats not what I was hoping for! Is it worth still going for the interview?

I agree with triathlete. The alternate list did move a bit last year so if you don’t have an acceptance it’s potentially a viable option, plus it’s a great school

Thanks for the input. I do have an acceptance, and still waiting on to hear back from others but from what I been researching WVSOM is a great school and would more than likely still be my top choice. Just curious how their waitlist worked and how often it moves. Do they tell you ahead of time it’s for waitlist? Nothing in their email stated it was for waitlist.

Just received the “your app is still on deferred status and will be reviewed again in January” email. At least I know my app isnt lost! Crossing fingers for good news in January!!!!
same. I will call tomorrow and make a case for myself

Generally anything after feb interviews will be for an alternate list. I think they do have a way to look at the list and see the strength of your application and pull people off based on that. You could be the very last interview of the season (like my friend) and still be accepted.

Generally anything after feb interviews will be for an alternate list. I think they do have a way to look at the list and see the strength of your application and pull people off based on that. You could be the very last interview of the season (like my friend) and still be accepted.

That would definitely be nice, fingers crossed!

same. I will call tomorrow and make a case for myself
Let me know if they give you any specific updates! I emailed them but got a generic “your file will be reviewed again..” email.