2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I Interviewed 1/19 last year and it was around that time the IIs were for alternate list

How did you know that it was for the alternate list - was it in the e-mail or did you figure out afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man its getting competitive....surprised you didnt get accepted early (assuming you did apply early)
I applied later in the cycle. Submitted primary in October, and completed secondary late November.

I applied later in the cycle. Submitted primary in October, and completed secondary late November.

Thats cool...congrats once again...it is def getting competitive though, I know of someone some time ago who go accepted on a 22 MCAT and 3.3 GPA......amazing how time changes.

Reactions: 1 user
Praying those placed on deferred get some good news this week!!

Withdrew my acceptance last week, hope you guys all get what you’re looking for. Take care!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone. I just received an email saying my decision was deferred. I wanted to ask and see if I have any chance at this school. Should I call them?

Hi everyone. I just received an email saying my decision was deferred. I wanted to ask and see if I have any chance at this school. Should I call them?
What were your stats? That probably is why unless you have something missing. But “deferred” simply means they’ll review your app again later on so there’s still a chance!

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats? That probably is why unless you have something missing. But “deferred” simply means they’ll review your app again later on so there’s still a chance!
491 MCAT 3.5 GPA. Excellent rec letters and great extracurricular activities. Should you recommend that I call them?

491 MCAT 3.5 GPA. Excellent rec letters and great extracurricular activities. Should you recommend that I call them?
I do have to send in my grade to AACOMAS for my independent study course last semester. Is that maybe why they deferred me?

I do have to send in my grade to AACOMAS for my independent study course last semester. Is that maybe why they deferred me?

It could be that and the fact that your MCAT score is on the lower side. Any plans on retaking it? It's also possible that they're putting your app on hold so that they can see if applications with a little more competitive scores come in?

I would say you MCAT is probably why you got deferred, but that's just me. You can definitely call and ask them

When I called regarding deferred they said that it means you will receive another review from a person at a later date. They wouldn’t comment on when that might be. Definitely update aacomas and and keep in touch with them. Their admissions office is exceedingly nice.

Your stats are very similar to mine. I had a 491 MCAT, 3.6cGPA, and 3.8 sGPA when I applied last year. I was also placed on decision deferred and was not granted an interview. I believe they are looking for an increase in your MCAT score. I retook the MCAT and scored substantially higher and was offered an interview this cycle on 9/7/17 and was accepted a few days later. There’s still a chance you could receive an interview this cycle, but I’m sure they’re looking for an MCAT score increase.

Reactions: 4 users
Out of curiosity, when were you complete?

I'd also like to know when you were complete... Just curious because I submitted a secondary and haven't heard anything in quite awhile.

If you were complete on 10/31 and waiting for an II can you please “like” this post. Tying to see how many of us are stilllll waiting that was complete on the same day.

Interesting I applied here early and never got an II. Had a few other DO acceptances and heading to my state MD in the fall. Sometimes I wonder if schools legit forget about your application. 3.8sGPA 3.8cGPA 502 mcat non trad

FWIW, I was offered an interview last year on 01/31 (just went back and checked), interviewed on 02/27, and was accepted soon after. I was complete in late August. Don't lose hope yet everybody

Reactions: 4 users
If you were complete on 10/31 and waiting for an II can you please “like” this post. Tying to see how many of us are stilllll waiting that was complete on the same day.
Wrong thread

Interesting I applied here early and never got an II. Had a few other DO acceptances and heading to my state MD in the fall. Sometimes I wonder if schools legit forget about your application. 3.8sGPA 3.8cGPA 502 mcat non trad

Hmmm highly unlikely. Assume you filled out a secondary because you get a unique ID number. Sometimes some candidates simply dont fit the schools mission.

Dont loose hope folks, one thing I can tell you, if you really want to go to this school, stay in touch, give updates about things you are doing. People have gotten accepted all the way till orientation week of July.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm highly unlikely. Assume you filled out a secondary because you get a unique ID number. Sometimes some candidates simply dont fit the schools mission.

Well it's ironic bc my state md mission is serving rural health....I don't care either way at this point. However I don't think all admissions offices are super organized. Earlier in the cycle a DO school rejected me and then sent me a II two months later.

Well it's ironic bc my state md mission is serving rural health....I don't care either way at this point. However I don't think all admissions offices are super organized. Earlier in the cycle a DO school rejected me and then sent me a II two months later.

From experience I can say this school’s admissions is organized. Cant speak for others.

Dang, thats not what I was hoping for! Is it worth still going for the interview?
Definitely go to the interview. I interviewed late and was put on the alternate list; however, despite the class being full they offered me a rollover admission for the next years class - meaning so long as I pay my deposit, I have a guaranteed seat for the following years class. I took the option, worked for a year, then started with my class. Avoided the caribbeans and it's the best choice I made.

Definitely go to the interview. I interviewed late and was put on the alternate list; however, despite the class being full they offered me a rollover admission for the next years class - meaning so long as I pay my deposit, I have a guaranteed seat for the following years class. I took the option, worked for a year, then started with my class. Avoided the caribbeans and it's the best choice I made.

From what Ive seen, not everyone gets pulled off the alternate. It used to be that way, but they seem to be a bit more selective. Just an FYI.

I second this, the alternate list seems to move. If you go back and look at both the threads from last year and the year before, plenty of people get in off of the alternate list (me included). Definitely worth attending the late interview if you are still interested in the school

I second this, the alternate list seems to move. If you go back and look at both the threads from last year and the year before, plenty of people get in off of the alternate list (me included). Definitely worth attending the late interview if you are still interested in the school

This is great to hear, thank you! I am absolutely interested in this school and want to go here. I haven’t seen anyone say that their interview group was interviewing for “waitlist” spots so maybe it’s not to that point yet anyways!

This is great to hear, thank you! I am absolutely interested in this school and want to go here. I haven’t seen anyone say that their interview group was interviewing for “waitlist” spots so maybe it’s not to that point yet anyways!

I think last year it was sometime around Feb. i want to say early-mid Feb.

II today, most likely will be declining

3.17c/3.29/515 non trad for the curious ones.

Last edited:
Were either of you on deferred decision previous to II?

Oh, congrats!!!

II today, declined, 3.67, 3.81, 508 OOS. Was not placed on deferred decision

• Monday, February 5, 2018
  • Thursday, February 8, 2018
  • Friday, February 9, 2018

Did anyone who interview two Friday's ago remember when they said we would here back?

Hi all, I forgot to make this post last week when I called the admissions office on Friday.
Since I was placed on deferred decision, I decided to call to once again express my interest in the school and all that good stuff. I spoke with Adrian and he told me that the interview spots that are now available are ultimately for the alternate list. I asked him "Since it is getting late in the cycle and I am still on deferred while some are getting II , should I read into it as a potential rejection?", he said " Although we will still review the deferred candidates for another time, I think yes you can possibly read into that."
He also mentioned that the deferred list is ranked based on factors such as MCAT, GPA, recommendation letters, EC etc. He said the decision to review deferred candidates AGAIN rests in the hands of the Admission's director ( I think this will be the 3rd review of deferred candidates, because he did say my application had already been reviewed twice).

Hope this helps some. Keep faith and hope alive and Good luck to everyone on the last stretch of the cycle.

Wanted to share some "feel good" vibes.

A friend of mine got accepted here, they were the very very last interview of the season a few cycles ago, their stats were 496/3.2 UG/3.8 Masters. They got accepted off the alternate list. But judging by their story, which was very very unique, they truly deserved it. Point is, dont give up, keep trucking.

Reactions: 2 users
Wanted to share some "feel good" vibes.

A friend of mine got accepted here, they were the very very last interview of the season a few cycles ago, their stats were 496/3.2 UG/3.8 Masters. They got accepted off the alternate list. But judging by their story, which was very very unique, they truly deserved it. Point is, dont give up, keep trucking.
Couldn't agree more!

Hey guys! Current first year here at WVSOM. Would love to help you guys out pm me with any questions and I’ll do my best to help.