2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted via email this afternoon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Under consideration email just now. Interviewed late August. Is this different than wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got put under consideration. Interviewed first day in August.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay all! Under consideration is fine. I was on this list post interview as well. Sit tight, they start pulling people off it in early spring.

Got the R too post-II. I'm relieved. It was my least favorite interview day and I was accepted elsewhere. Also, I had a bad interaction with one of the physicians there and knew he had given me a bad MMI score. He was old, clearly biased, and was not well read on recent medical literature. I know this because he scoffed at a relevant story I told about a form of treatment one of my friends received. He acted as if this form of treatment was quackery and seemed to forget that I was a student just telling a story, not the physician administering the treatment. I debated contacting the school about this but figured I'd wait for a decision first.

Is it a hold ?

Sounds like a roundabout way to say "waitlist."

So it isn’t a true waitlist. The true waitlist comes out in the spring once they accepted the entire class. It means you were above the threshold of rejection but below their tippy top accepts which they give out early. Albany prefers to see a good portion of the candidates before rolling out acceptions from their uncertain list.

Under consideration interview today as well. Interviewed end of September. The email also states they'll release new acceptances on a weekly basis from now until April.

Under consideration interview today as well. Interviewed end of September. The email also states they'll release new acceptances on a weekly basis from now until April.

Also UC. As I understood the email, it says acceptances are offered on a weekly basis for those who have yet to hear and the rest of us have to wait until they are done interviewing.

@TurtleyReady4Med Any help understanding the process? When should we expect to hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also UC. As I understood the email, it says acceptances are offered on a weekly basis for those who have yet to hear and the rest of us have to wait until they are done interviewing.

@TurtleyReady4Med Any help understanding the process? When should we expect to hear?
I took it as we are UC for now and could receive an acceptance anytime between now and April depending on your rank. This is also what they told my group when I interviewed. They lower the threshold for acceptances with after each interview group and if you fall above it you'll be accepted.

I took it as we are UC for now and could receive an acceptance anytime between now and April depending on your rank. This is also what they told my group when I interviewed. They lower the threshold for acceptances with after each interview group and if you fall above it you'll be accepted.

Did they say if it is a quantifiable threshold? (like an internal score)

Oh gotcha. Ok, guess I can't CARS when it comes to email :D

Also, for future forum-delvers, I received my admissions decision promptly at 2:00pm on Wednesday, October 24th. I interviewed 9/24

Hopefully this answers someone's future question

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Did they say if it is a quantifiable threshold? (like an internal score)
Yes they said they score you after your interview and you're put on a rank list. My guess is they pull off of it based on normal distribution.
Oh gotcha. Ok, guess I can't CARS when it comes to email :D
The wording of the email is honestly horrible but that's how I interpreted it. CARS was definitely not my highest section though haha.

First time posting on SDN. Interviewed here in early Sept. LM = 71, ORM, MA Resident.
Put under consideration.

@athorcommons Let’s see. I was put under consideration two weeks before Thanksgiving and heard back in February so I would say not until after Christmas. It is frustrating because they do not accept updates, but they do accept new grades if you want to report any fall grades.

With the flurry of post-II decisions coming out, wanted to pop in and offer a) congratulations to those who got UC and b) offer some encouragement to those that received a rejection.

I was actually rejected by AMC post-II around this time last year, and I remember it wasn't a fun feeling. It was my first post-II decision period, and it certainly wasn't how I planned starting things. That said, the best thing I could have done was to pick myself right back up and reach out to the admissions staff about feedback. Although they were unable to actually schedule a phone appointment until May (i.e., basically the end of the cycle), they were extremely helpful when they did provide the feedback. Moreover, that phone appointment ultimately resulted in my referral to the AMSNY post-bacc program that has granted me deferred acceptance to the 2019 matriculating class (talk about a 180 lol WOO!). Although I recognize that this is kind of a specific situation, I do think it emphasizes the importance of seeking out feedback from schools that interview you, but that ultimately do not accept you. Should you not swing any acceptances this cycle, it can, at the very least, grant you some valuable insight on exactly where to focus so as to improve future applications. And all that said, the cycle is of course very far from being over, and there is still plenty of opportunity to be accepted elsewhere. Best of luck to everyone!

P. S. - semi-related, any accepted folks, heads up that they actually sent out some financial aid info today, with access to a portal and what not. I haven't actually checked it out yet, but I'm assuming the sooner we hop on it, the better!

Reactions: 7 users
First time posting on SDN. Interviewed here in early Sept. LM = 71, ORM, MA Resident.
Put under consideration.

Hope all goes welll for you! I was complete mid-July and still haven't heard anything...

I would like to ask a question about the MMI format. How many stations are there - 8 or 10? I'm assuming we have 2 minutes to read the prompt, but how many minutes do we have to discuss with the interviewer? 6 or 8 minutes? Thanks a lot.

I would like to ask a question about the MMI format. How many stations are there - 8 or 10? I'm assuming we have 2 minutes to read the prompt, but how many minutes do we have to discuss with the interviewer? 6 or 8 minutes? Thanks a lot.
Honestly, I don’t remember but that is the gist of it. They give you details before you start.

So if we haven't received a rejection post-secondary yet, should we be expecting anything? Ik we haven't been, but feels like we've been forgotten...

Any info on Total # Interviews and Total # of Acceptances here? Haven't been able to find the numbers

Any info on Total # Interviews and Total # of Acceptances here? Haven't been able to find the numbers

Not sure even MSAR will tell you # of acceptances. Just matriculants and interviews. And AMC doesn't release acceptance numbers to US News either. I'm thinking the info isn't out there

I feel like Albany is waitlisting a lot more people this year due to the AAMC traffic rule change. Some schools I interviewed at explicitly said that during the interview orientations

I feel like Albany is waitlisting a lot more people this year due to the AAMC traffic rule change. Some schools I interviewed at explicitly said that during the interview orientations

I'm pretty sure this is what they usually do. They just like to see most of the candidates first. Maybe @TurtleyReady4Med knows more though

I'm pretty sure this is what they usually do. They just like to see most of the candidates first. Maybe @TurtleyReady4Med knows more though

At my interview day they said that because of the traffic rule change they were likely going to wait list a lot more people and accept very few people right away, even in comparison to previous years

At my interview day they said that because of the traffic rule change they were likely going to wait list a lot more people and accept very few people right away, even in comparison to previous years

during my interview day, they told us the same thing - the dean of enrollment also said that they would accept 250-350 (but not all at once)

during my interview day, they told us the same thing - the dean of enrollment also said that they would accept 250-350 (but not all at once)

Confirmed: athorcommens listened to nothing from his interview day

~10,000 applicants, 800 interviewed, 250-350 accepted, final class size of about 140. They also said they interview late, and in previous threads people were offered interviews through February. So no news is good news!

Hi humans. Albany usually puts more people on the uncertain status than most schools. They seem to wait and start pulling off people after January. They are at that point very much a rolling system. As for interviews there are about 900ish interviews for about 110 spots (cuz there are several linkage programs which take up the other spots I.e. RPI or Siena). They do over accept like stated above since some people choose home state tuition/ schools closer to home or in a big city. @athorcommens

~10,000 applicants, 800 interviewed, 250-350 accepted, final class size of about 140. They also said they interview late, and in previous threads people were offered interviews through February. So no news is good news!
No news is good news :)

Hey guys, I have two questions and appreciate any feedback. 1 - Did anyone here receive a second secondary invite email for "Commitment to Diversity" and consideration as a URM, (it sounded very promising and encouraging) around September? and 2 - Did anyone who received this email hear back/how long should you expect to hear back?

Edit: 3 - How common is it for Albany Med to send emails like that?

Hope everyone hears good news!
I got that as well. I actually did not/would not read too much into it: I think they are simply trying to increase the racial diversity of their student population. (It was a nicely written/informative email, but it also read as a generic email sent to any URM who submitted a primary to them.) I don’t know how often AMC has done this in the past, but the practice of sending “Diversity” emails is pretty common among other schools.
I haven’t heard back from them yet, including no rejection email (yet). I was complete the beginning of September.

Reactions: 2 users
I got that as well. I actually did not/would not read too much into it: I think they are simply trying to increase the racial diversity of their student population. (It was a nicely written/informative email, but it also read as a generic email sent to any URM who submitted a primary to them.) I don’t know how often AMC has done this in the past, but the practice of sending “Diversity” emails is pretty common among other schools.
I haven’t heard back from them yet, including no rejection email (yet). I was complete the beginning of September.

Lol I completed this email before my interview. My interview was four weeks ago. I havent heard anything back yet. I wouldn’t put too much stock into it.

Anyone remember if they have a place to leave luggage and the like? I only got a hotel for one night, and that's the night before the interview.

The hotel has a place where you can leave luggage even if you check out. Thats what I did. I checked out before heading for my interview and left my luggage with them. They are really understanding about it. Other interviewees did the same.

The hotel has a place where you can leave luggage even if you check out. Thats what I did. I checked out before heading for my interview and left my luggage with them. They are really understanding about it. Other interviewees did the same.

if you're staying at the hilton garden inn across the street, you can request a later checkout at 2 PM, which gave me an hour after my day ended at 1 PM to pack up. other hotels might have that option available as well!

Anyone who interviewed October 1 know when we will hear back?

For the people who already interviewed here did you send thank you cards /emails? It seems like it will be difficult with the mmi system.

For the people who already interviewed here did you send thank you cards /emails? It seems like it will be difficult with the mmi system.
Just sent a thank you email to admin

People generally write them to the admissions folks since the MMI portion makes it impossible for individuals.

I don't know how they actually feel, but if I was an adcom I wouldn't want 800 anxious thank-yous every year