2018-2019 Boston University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a friend call the office. They’re staggering all decisions, just because you haven’t heard yet doesn’t mean one way or another. You can still be accepted over the next couple days.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
I’m sorry if this isn’t directly on topic. Any of you guys do the BU MAMS program, if so did it help you interview/ get in to BUSM?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m sorry if this isn’t directly on topic. Any of you guys do the BU MAMS program, if so did it help you interview/ get in to BUSM?

I did MAMS and am a reapplicant. I’ve interviewed at BU both years. Waitlisted last year, still unsure of my status for this year. MAMS overall is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did MAMS and am a reapplicant. I’ve interviewed at BU both years. Waitlisted last year, still unsure of my status for this year. MAMS overall is great.

Congrats on both interviews, and good luck on this years! I was accepted into BU MAMS the other day so I’m pretty excited at the opportunity. What was the curriculum like, and how difficult were the courses compared to that of undergrad?

Thanks on the input

Had a friend call the office. They’re staggering all decisions, just because you haven’t heard yet doesn’t mean one way or another. You can still be accepted over the next couple days.

You and your friend are amazing, thank you!! Does this mean that deferred applicants will also hear back?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in my second year of MAMS. Got an interview at BUSM and haven't heard back yet. Being in MAMS gives you a huge advantage to get into BUSM. You are put into a completely separate application pool so you are not competing against other non-MAMS applicants. They usually accept around 20-25 MAMS students to matriculate into BUSM. I def would not have even gotten an interview at BU, nvm being accepted, if it wasn't for MAMS. My MAMS friends who are now M1s at BUSM say that MAMS classes were (much) more difficult. With that being said, while MAMS classes are harder, you have to juggle a lot of different things during medical school which may or may not make it more difficult.

Thank you for the quick reply, how many students were in your MAMS class, and do you think it’s feasible to apply to medical school the summer before the MAMS program, or would you recommend waiting until after?

Thank you for the quick reply, how many students were in your MAMS class, and do you think it’s feasible to apply to medical school the summer before the MAMS program, or would you recommend waiting until after?

A friend of mine applied before MAMS and got in during the program, which was awesome, but the stress of the cycle did hurt their MAMS performance considerably and ultimately they viewed it as a huge expense they didn't need after all. There are definitely folks who do apply beforehand, so it's certainly feasible.

A friend of mine applied before MAMS and got in during the program, which was awesome, but the stress of the cycle did hurt their MAMS performance considerably and ultimately they viewed it as a huge expense they didn't need after all. There are definitely folks who do apply beforehand, so it's certainly feasible.

Do you know ballpark what their undergrad gpa and mcat was going into MAMS?

Oof...I can't be certain, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think they had a uGPA over 3.5 to start. In any case, the decision to apply before entering an SMP is definitely a personal one. MAMS provides the opportunity to do research and a thesis, which some applicants with a higher uGPA may feel they are lacking. Those that don't need research can do a lit review thesis instead. Lots of opportunities to strengthen an app.

All emails I've gotten from BU Admissions have been signed by Dean Goodell. If I upload an update letter, should it be addressed to Dean Goodell or admissions staff?

All emails I've gotten from BU Admissions have been signed by Dean Goodell. If I upload an update letter, should it be addressed to Dean Goodell or admissions staff?
Address it to her but send it to the medadms address/upload it to your portal.

Today has been quiet.

Address it to her but send it to the medadms address/upload it to your portal.

Today has been quiet.
thank you! Any difference if I email it vs upload it?

thank you! Any difference if I email it vs upload it?

Should be no difference as it will get uploaded to your file anyway. I would address it to BU Admissions or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in the 2nd year of MAMS. I'm certain BU MAMS was critical to my application's success. I came out of undergrad with a gpa < 3.0. Interviewed early September. Accepted yesterday via email!

You and your friend are amazing, thank you!! Does this mean that deferred applicants will also hear back?
Yeah I specifically had him ask if we would receive any notification if we're deferred and they said yes, you will receive an update within the next couple days whether it's an acceptance/deferral/rejection. They specifically made a point to say that not all acceptances have gone out and it's still a possibility if you haven't heard yet.

Reactions: 6 users
Seriously what's going on...I'm so confused

Reactions: 2 users

Hi! I would like to direct you to the SDN BU MAMS page for all MAMS related questions: Post Boston University MAMS 2019-2020

This account is run by a student representative, so please feel free to PM me or post on the forum with any questions you might have!

Did anyone receive info in their acceptances about the deans scholarship? Or does anyone’s financial aid portal still show it?

+1 deferral, see you fools in March

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
+1 on the deferred train. At least we got some news, that was starting to get a bit ridiculous

Deferred

+1 deferred MD/PhD, withdrew from consideration. Good luck, everyone!

Anyone else without acceptances yet / got the deferral email today feeling real down?

Reactions: 5 users
Did BU only do post-II acceptances and deferrals for this round with no rejections?

I'm wondering if their deferral email that said

"Please be assured that the choice to defer a final decision on your application reflects our belief that you are a qualified and attractive candidate for admission"

is genuine or just a whole lot of unsubstantiated sweet talking

Some rejections were reported on this thread

I see the email reminder about FAFSA. In general, are applicants supposed to submit the FAFSA to schools before being accepted? A lot of places have that Feb 1 deadline.

I see the email reminder about FAFSA. In general, are applicants supposed to submit the FAFSA to schools before being accepted? A lot of places have that Feb 1 deadline.

Just submit it so if you get accepted you can be considered for aid!

Interivewed mid November, but hadn't heard back anything yet and was gettting worried.

Bit the bullet and called admissions office - they said they'd be sending out a few more acceptances today and the following days
1f62f.png

To those accepted and have started sending finaid documents... I'm confused by their wording in the SFS Documents tab. Also, sorry I don't have a lot of experience with tax forms so sorry if these are silly Qs.

They say "REQUIRED: Current tax year documents." However, at the bottom of the page, they have a required check mark box saying "I have FINISHED uploading documents for the following tax year: 2017"

So should I upload my tax forms from 2017 or the current tax year forms which would be 2018?

To those accepted and have started sending finaid documents... I'm confused by their wording in the SFS Documents tab. Also, sorry I don't have a lot of experience with tax forms so sorry if these are silly Qs.

They say "REQUIRED: Current tax year documents." However, at the bottom of the page, they have a required check mark box saying "I have FINISHED uploading documents for the following tax year: 2017"

So should I upload my tax forms from 2017 or the current tax year forms which would be 2018?

Turn in 2017