2018-2019 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! To the question that have I ever applied to other medical schools before? Do they mean only DO schools or both DO and MD schools? Do I need to list MD schools out?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats everyone. Also accepted today - is there a Facebook page or anything like that?

Congratulations all on your acceptances!!! Wonderful news! There is not a class Facebook group yet since it’s so early. You can check Facebook periodically by searching “CUSOM Class of 2023” and I’m sure one of us will remember to update the thread when it is if we aren’t preoccupied with studying . Also I’m happy to answer any questions about the school or the area in the meantime.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! To the question that have I ever applied to other medical schools before? Do they mean only DO schools or both DO and MD schools? Do I need to list MD schools out?

I wasn’t sure what they were looking for so I told them that I had unsuccessfully applied previously but only to MD schools, and then I explained why I decided to apply to DO schools the second time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking to see if they posted the class of 2017's COMLEX Level 3 pass rate and found this PowerPoint from accepted students day on Google. It has recent COMLEX/USMLE statistics plus curriculum/schedule information. I wanted to post it here to help with your school choice!

If you copy and paste the link below into your browser it should come up. If not just type "campbell university comlex level 3 pass rate" into Google and it will be the ~3rd result down. Good luck!

cuhealth.campbell.edu/matriculation/Accepted%20Students%20Day%204-7-2018.pptx

Thank you! That was very helpful! I found a different PowerPoint that was much older so it was nice to have some newer stats especially since they are such a new school. Definitely have some tough choices ahead of me. Campbell is a great school and I think with their growth, they will be at the top soon enough.

Does anyone know much about their research? I know they say they are located near Research Triangle Park and that they have a couple research buildings, but I know the faculty said their focus has not been on research since they are a newer school however they are working towards growing that department now. I know this is a weakness for most DO schools. Their SIM lab really blew me away and I had a great feeling while on campus, but I have an acceptance at another school that I know is stronger in research so I am very torn.

Don't know of there is a fdbk group for class of 2023. I am from the class of 2022. One of you guys should create and let the crowd know about it. Congrats again guys, and good luck for those interviewing soon.
I guess I will!

Thank you! That was very helpful! I found a different PowerPoint that was much older so it was nice to have some newer stats especially since they are such a new school. Definitely have some tough choices ahead of me. Campbell is a great school and I think with their growth, they will be at the top soon enough.

Does anyone know much about their research? I know they say they are located near Research Triangle Park and that they have a couple research buildings, but I know the faculty said their focus has not been on research since they are a newer school however they are working towards growing that department now. I know this is a weakness for most DO schools. Their SIM lab really blew me away and I had a great feeling while on campus, but I have an acceptance at another school that I know is stronger in research so I am very torn.

They didn't talk much about this during my interview last year. We now have dedicated labs for bench research specific to the medical school in Smith Hall, the building next door, so yes, more options are becoming available. A number of our faculty also conduct research in medical education. There are faculty with bench and med ed research that do publish and there are some with serious grants. We also have some clinical opportunities, although they are at our community-based clinical affiliate sites so those are less likely to result in pubs, aside from maybe case reports. There is a scholarly paper requirement due in spring of year 2 with great flexibility to encompass whatever you are interested in or do over the summer before year 2. Poster presentation of your project is also encouraged if relevant/you are interested.

Last summer I think was the first year they officially set up summer researcher positions with stipends for rising second years. Positions were offered across all 3 of the areas mentioned above: bench, med ed, clinical. Naturally spots were limited since it was the first year and they expect for the program to expand this summer. There are also two other medical schools close by with large academic hospitals for clinical research opportunities. Both of those universities as well as NC State would have many bench opportunities as well.

I cannot post links because I don't have enough posts yet, but there is a page with faculty researchers and projects, however they have not updated it in some time, so some of these projects are no longer active and there are a number of projects not included in the list. There are also faculty projects in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences not listed there either. You can google "CUSOM research" and click the first link, then click "faculty researchers" for the list.

Overall, after interviewing at some allopathic schools that did not have academic hospitals and even talking to some friends at schools that did, I feel the opportunities here are similar if not better than what one would expect.

Reactions: 2 users
They didn't talk much about this during my interview last year. We now have dedicated labs for bench research specific to the medical school in Smith Hall, the building next door, so yes, more options are becoming available. A number of our faculty also conduct research in medical education. There are faculty with bench and med ed research that do publish and there are some with serious grants. We also have some clinical opportunities, although they are at our community-based clinical affiliate sites so those are less likely to result in pubs, aside from maybe case reports. There is a scholarly paper requirement due in spring of year 2 with great flexibility to encompass whatever you are interested in or do over the summer before year 2. Poster presentation of your project is also encouraged if relevant/you are interested.

Last summer I think was the first year they officially set up summer researcher positions with stipends for rising second years. Positions were offered across all 3 of the areas mentioned above: bench, med ed, clinical. Naturally spots were limited since it was the first year and they expect for the program to expand this summer. There are also two other medical schools close by with large academic hospitals for clinical research opportunities. Both of those universities as well as NC State would have many bench opportunities as well.

I cannot post links because I don't have enough posts yet, but there is a page with faculty researchers and projects, however they have not updated it in some time, so some of these projects are no longer active and there are a number of projects not included in the list. There are also faculty projects in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences not listed there either. You can google "CUSOM research" and click the first link, then click "faculty researchers" for the list.

Overall, after interviewing at some allopathic schools that did not have academic hospitals and even talking to some friends at schools that did, I feel the opportunities here are similar if not better than what one would expect.

Thank you so much for such a detailed response! I read somewhere on SDN that some students have had the opportunity to do research at Duke. Is this true?

Thank you so much for such a detailed response! I read somewhere on SDN that some students have had the opportunity to do research at Duke. Is this true?
No prob! It's info I would want to have, particularly for a DO school since some don't really offer much for research. I think the research opportunities, connection to a full university campus, and home residency opportunities are key features of the school.

There are not official programs that set students up at the other schools. One would have to seek out those opportunities oneself. If you have experience and skills to contribute in a particular area, you could reach out to a faculty member whose interests align with your own at the other school early spring of year 1 to ask about summer opportunities. I have reached out to a past mentor at another med school regarding this summer and will likely be working with that group, which is not an uncommon practice. You could also take a year off for research or an MPH if you want it to be a focus. UNC's Gillings School of Public Health is outstanding and offers one-year MPH programs specifically for med students. Unless Duke has changed, I believe their med students still go there for MPH as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Received an email that they want to see my grades after this semester (I'm still a senior in college) before finally reviewing my app. I'm assuming this is to improve my GPA. Glad they didn't just screen and reject me! Congrats everyone on the acceptances, I'm not giving up hope yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone be able to talk about CUSOM's rotation sites? Are they all community based or are any associated with residency accredited hospitals? I know CUSOM has set up some residency positions though. I'm assuming none of the rotation sites are at academic hospitals?

Would anyone be able to talk about CUSOM's rotation sites??

Seconded. I'm currently torn between ACOM and CUSOM, so I was wondering if any students could talk about CUSOM's 3rd and 4th year rotations as well ( I've heard great things about ACOM's rotations on that page and I just wanted to know how CUSOM students feel about their rotations). eg, did you feel prepared when you went into the rotations and generally felt confident in what you were doing, or if any problems arose, how well do you think the college handled it, etc?

Some other DO programs at which I've interviewed cover the cost of Step 1 and Step 2 board exams along with board prep courses (like Kaplan). Does anyone know if CUSOM also covers these things? I interviewed on Friday and they didn't mention anything like this but maybe I missed it...

I don’t remember hearing anything about that @mrj2017.

Does anyone recall the dean or students saying something about 4 weeks of dedicated board prep time or did I just make that up?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For their secondary question asking about previous application to medical school, do they mean both MD and DO? How did people go about answering this?

Thank you in advance! :)

For their secondary question asking about previous application to medical school, do they mean both MD and DO? How did people go about answering this?

I hadn't applied to DO before, but I still went ahead and wrote down the MD schools I applied to and what I did differently between cycles. For me it was better to be honest, than to trip up in the interview or something

This is my first time applying but I would just be honest and put down every school I applied to.

I don’t remember hearing anything about that @mrj2017.

Does anyone recall the dean or students saying something about 4 weeks of dedicated board prep time or did I just make that up?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
4 wks dedicated, mandatory programming if you don’t test out of it otherwise you are free to pick your own

Would anyone be able to talk about CUSOM's rotation sites? Are they all community based or are any associated with residency accredited hospitals? I know CUSOM has set up some residency positions though. I'm assuming none of the rotation sites are at academic hospitals?
Lumberton has an im/fm/em residency, fayetteville has fm/im/em/gen surg/and obgyn, harnett has fm/im, goldsboro (I can’t remember), wake med is a big academic system, and there is a new site on a beach somewhere

You put in a wish list and randomly get assigned a site from there, you cannot guarantee which site you get

Some other DO programs at which I've interviewed cover the cost of Step 1 and Step 2 board exams along with board prep courses (like Kaplan). Does anyone know if CUSOM also covers these things? I interviewed on Friday and they didn't mention anything like this but maybe I missed it...
Board exams are not covered, they have bought combank/kaplan in the past

I just received my secondary today, primary submitted 8/14.. I have my essays pre-written but I’m not sure if it’s too late to throw my hat in... I have average stats but a lot of clinical volunteer and experience, very OOS, no connection to southeast. Anyone have an opinion on whether I should apply? I have 1 interview in 2 weeks but no acceptances yet

I just received my secondary today, primary submitted 8/14.. I have my essays pre-written but I’m not sure if it’s too late to throw my hat in... I have average stats but a lot of clinical volunteer and experience, very OOS, no connection to southeast. Anyone have an opinion on whether I should apply? I have 1 interview in 2 weeks but no acceptances yet
You want to shut doors with only 1 interview?

Just want to make sure you're aware that it's possible for community hospitals to have residency programs, which is the case for these sites. Also Wake Med in Raleigh is rather large and serves as a level I trauma center. I think another poster said it was academic and that is NOT correct, however, residents and med students from the other local schools do rotate there because it's the largest hospital in Raleigh. Residencies are offered by CUSOM at Southeastern, Cape Fear Valley, Harnett, and Novant. It is expected that by the time y'all are third years another rotation site will be available (also beachy) and more residency programs will be as well. For rotations you are assigned to a locale lottery-style after ranking your preferences. The list of sites and affiliated residency programs are available on the school website. You can choose to live anywhere from suburban Charlotte to the beach for 3rd and 4th years.

It's not too late at all. There are several in my class that applied during the spring, myself included. The longer you wait, the more likely it is you would have to tough it out on the waitlist rather than having definitive plans, but a strong applicant will eventually get a spot. I have classmates from all over the country. This is a private university and not being from NC is not a problem. Can you speak to another aspect of the mission statement like Christian values, mission trips, or service in the local community in your secondary and interview? It would be helpful to explain what made you choose to apply to CUSOM specifically if you are from so far away.

Accepted via email! Interviewed on 9/25. Was complete 8/31.
Really love this program and felt very at home on interview day! If you have questions about the interview feel free to PM me :)

Just want to make sure you're aware that it's possible for community hospitals to have residency programs, which is the case for these sites. Also Wake Med in Raleigh is rather large and serves as a level I trauma center. I think another poster said it was academic and that is NOT correct, however, residents and med students from the other local schools do rotate there because it's the largest hospital in Raleigh. Residencies are offered by CUSOM at Southeastern, Cape Fear Valley, Harnett, and Novant. It is expected that by the time y'all are third years another rotation site will be available (also beachy) and more residency programs will be as well. For rotations you are assigned to a locale lottery-style after ranking your preferences. The list of sites and affiliated residency programs are available on the school website. You can choose to live anywhere from suburban Charlotte to the beach for 3rd and 4th years.

This was extremely helpful!! I think I was blending the definitions for academic hospitals vs residency accredited hospitals vs trauma center levels. Basically I just wanted to know if I would be exposed to hospitals with residency programs in my specialty of interest as well as if any hospitals were larger or academic in less rural areas! I appreciate the thorough response.

accepted! 9/24 interview

Great faculty, and I really enjoyed their transparency as an institution.

Does anyone know the turn around process time from after submitting secondary to getting an interview?

Does anyone know the turn around process time from after submitting secondary to getting an interview?

27 days from submitting secondary to interview invite, for me.

Thank you, were you complete the same day you submitted your secondary?

Yes, I had all the components of the application available for the school when I submitted the secondary (MCAT, LORs, etc.). I received a general submission receipt.

Interestingly, it took 20 days after that for CUSOM to say that my application was complete and ready. A week after that email, I received the invite.

I am having such a hard time coming up with 5 qualities and explaining all of them help!!!!!

I am having such a hard time coming up with 5 qualities and explaining all of them help!!!!!

You could try describing an event in which you showed all 5 qualities; for example when you overcame adversity it could be that you were resilient, determined, committed, etc.

If you cannot come up with anything, ask people who know you well how they would characterize you
Think of short stories/tidbits about yourself that demonstrate you are a good person, then think of what each example says about you. That's your essay!

Edit: replied to the wrong person
@c_t_a_95

I'll echo and say that I used my experience working in healthcare, specifically, to bring forth qualities that will apply to being a physician. I did not share a specific anecdote; I described my background in an engaging way that led the reader through the qualities. They were connected, one after the other.

Has anyone been also put on hold? Or know if people who are put on hold for an interview get one? Thanks :)

Can anyone tell me if this is the complete email or just confirming that they have my secondary? I am a bit confused about the wording

"Please be advised that your secondary application has been received by Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. You can expect an updated status in approximately 3-4 weeks once your complete application has been verified by our admissions office..."

Accepted via email! Interviewed on 9/25. Was complete 8/31.
Really love this program and felt very at home on interview day! If you have questions about the interview feel free to PM me :)
how long did it take for them to accept you? after the interview