2018-2019 Charles R Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when we start hearing back? They said January but Imthinking it is probably the last week of January.
And do you know if its a call or email?

During my interview day, they said to expect to hear back in February.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the interview traditional and MMI? Should we prepare to talk about US healthcare trends/issues or is the MMI more ethics, communication, teamwork, etc based?
Yes it’s a mix, and based on my experience you don’t need to worry about specific healthcare trends.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations for hotels around the area?

To be honest, the surrounding area of Watts, Compton and Southgate are a little rough around the edges. Perhaps consider an Airbnb in the nicer parts like Venice, El Segundo, Norwalk to save money.

Last edited:
To be honest, the surrounding area of Watts, Compton and Southgate are a little rough around the edges. Perhaps consider an Airbnb in the nicer parts like Venice, El Segundo, Norwalk to save money. I recall the interview being at noon so you can definitely stand to stay somewhere even decently further away because that morning traffic will probably have decreased significantly.

Thank you! It’s on Saturday at 8:45am. Is traffic decreased on Saturday mornings too?

Thank you! It’s on Saturday at 8:45am. Is traffic decreased on Saturday mornings too?

Yes definitely. I stayed near LAX on my interview day. There was no traffic. I would budget extra time just in case, because it's LA, but it will be significantly better than a weekday.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone who interviewed here already give a general overview of the day? Do we get any tours of UCLA campus or the hospitals? Also, I know you can’t soeak about the MMI but was it high stress? Is there also a traditional interview and are the MMIs ethics or behavioral?

Can anyone who interviewed here already give a general overview of the day? Do we get any tours of UCLA campus or the hospitals? Also, I know you can’t soeak about the MMI but was it high stress? Is there also a traditional interview and are the MMIs ethics or behavioral?
No tours. Just an MMI, traditional one on one and a group interview. They feed you lunch then you hang out with med students to ask questions about the school. Just be friendly and genuine. You got this!

I wish I could rejoice in not being alone on this but I now feel terrible for the both of us and the many others that are in the same boat. Hoping 2019 will have better news for us!

No tours. Just an MMI, traditional one on one and a group interview. They feed you lunch then you hang out with med students to ask questions about the school. Just be friendly and genuine. You got this!

Thanks so much for the information. How many people do they interview at once during the group interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone, who applied here, still not recieved a secondary nor a rejection from this school? Trying to see if they are completely done with me as a candidate :(

just called the school and they told me that as of right now their last interview date is this Saturday and it's completely full :( but there's a chance they might add more dates so there's some hope

I called Admissions yesterday to get an idea of when decisions would go out. She said "most likely early March." :arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 5 users
I called Admissions yesterday to get an idea of when decisions would go out. She said "most likely early March." :arghh::arghh:

Oh no! That sucks! Do you know if that's for everyone or for people who interviewed at later dates? In my interview they said early February/late January

Last edited:
More money I don’t have spent on attending other interviews it is then....

Oh no! That sucks! Do you know if that's for everyone or for people who interviewed at later dates? In my interview they said early February/late January

I interviewed early November, and I did tell her that. Maybe if you interviewed earlier you hear back in February. When did you interview?

Has anyone, who applied here, still not recieved a secondary nor a rejection from this school? Trying to see if they are completely done with me as a candidate :(
Maybe a bit late but did you email the school/ send something like a letter of interest. I would have a realistic mindset at this point but at the same time, you miss all the shots that you don't take :)

March???? Come on Drew, I interviewed in October :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
Praying to get in, this is my dream school! Hoping for the best for all of you also. We will find out soon!!!

Anyone know if they take updates and how to send that?

i dreamt that i got an acceptance last night lol

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone send a LOI and receive acknowledgement that their letter has been received? Debating if I should call to see if they got it.... I sent it at the beginning of Feb.

Did anyone send a LOI and receive acknowledgement that their letter has been received? Debating if I should call to see if they got it.... I sent it at the beginning of Feb.

Yea, I also wrote a Letter of intent. I did not receive a confirmation email.

Nah I sent a thank you letter with no response. I’m sure they got it

Recieved an official pre-secondary R today. (Though it was expected)

Lol it’s the last decision I’ve been waiting for and it sure is painful

Ugh mine too. Also, are decisions now slated for mid-March instead of early March? When I called last they said early March, which could be next week.

Ugh mine too. Also, are decisions now slated for mid-March instead of early March? When I called last they said early March, which could be next week.
If you're optimistic enough, early March could mean tomorrow, 3/1/19 :nailbiting:

Come on you got into UCSF...

One of the greatest surprises of my life! Still can't get over it. But if I got in here... that would be a real decision for me, so I'm super excited/anxious to hear back

Reactions: 2 users