2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for you all to get the secondary after submitting the primary? I've already pre-written it but haven't gotten the supplemental yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for you all to get the secondary after submitting the primary? I've already pre-written it but haven't gotten the supplemental yet.

Application verified 07/31

Receipt that application was received 08/01

Secondary received 08/15

Completed Status 8/28

interview invitation 9/13

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Verified 7/25, Secondary received 8/17, Submitted secondary 8/19, complete 8/21, II 8/24, Interviewed 9/12.

Reactions: 1 user
How did the interview go?
They have notoriously chill interviews. If you get the pastor, consider yourself lucky, he is the most laid back individual on this planet and the next. #MarsBixhes

That would be pretty sweet. I've met another vet at two DO interviews, actually. Weird to see so many people twice, actually. Wouldn't mind having more vet friends who are in med school (since that number is currently zero).

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be pretty sweet. I've met another vet at two DO interviews, actually. Weird to see so many people twice, actually. Wouldn't mind having more vet friends who are in med school (since that number is currently zero).

Yeah I’m fortunate to be in a cohort of all active duty folks. It’s pretty sweet. I actually have the opposite problem in that almost none of my friends are civilians lol.

are there any current students here? What do you like/dislike about the school so far?
I am a current M1 at Quillen and can say that I love the school! A huge plus is the location of the school; Johnson City is beautiful and there is a really good scene for younger people. The curriculum is mostly graded courses with a couple pass/fail courses mixed in. It does have a focus on internal medicine/primary care but they have A LOT of connections with physicians outside of those specialities. A couple of my dislikes are probably that we are not fully pass/fail and the way the schedule is aligned. If you attend here be prepared to start early. We started this year on July 16 and we will start M2 year around early July so it does make it a little difficult on summer research. However, the faculty are understanding of this and are willing to work with students if there is a small overlap in summer research. You also have a smaller class size, usually no more than 74 and I love that. I know everyone in my class and we all get a long for the most part.

Reactions: 2 users
any other II news? there seems to be a high percentage of II if you pass their secondary screen? I am OOS but military and got a secondary from them, so hoping to get news of II soon. The small class size aspect really appeals to my introvert nature

I believe there's a committee meeting sometime this week...

I take that back lol, I just got my active holding designation :)

What is active hold?
So, schools cannot send out regular decision acceptances until October 15. Thus, the committee reviewed us and deemed us competitive enough not to be rejected. (active because we're among the group of people that will get looked at for the first group of acceptances I presume)

Last edited:
So, schools cannot send out regular decision acceptances until October 15. Thus, the committee reviewed us and deemed us competitive enough not to be rejected. (active because we're among the group of people that will get looked at for the first group of acceptances I presume)

So you’ve interviewed and are basically on the list to be accepted? Awesome.

So, schools cannot send out regular decision acceptances until October 15. Thus, the committee reviewed us and deemed us competitive enough not to be rejected.
So you’ve interviewed and are basically on the list to be accepted? Awesome.
Uh, well from what I saw in the forum last cycle, there were a few people who were placed on active hold that ended up on the waitlist and eventually not picked up. So definitely not a guarantee, but good luck on your interview!

Uh, well from what I saw in the forum last cycle, there were a few people who were placed on active hold that ended up on the waitlist and eventually not picked up. So definitely not a guarantee, but good luck on your interview!

Thanks. It’s my last of the 3 I have so hopefully I’ll be loosened up haha.

The admissions committee usually meets on a Monday and will send out decision calls/emails on a Tuesday. As people attend interviews, it will be easier to keep up with when adcom meets because they will tell you at the interview when the meeting is. Quillen also places a lot of people on active hold and admits a portion of active hold at later adcom meetings. For example, I was placed on active hold after my initial interview and then accepted at the next adcom meeting.

The admissions committee usually meets on a Monday and will send out decision calls/emails on a Tuesday. As people attend interviews, it will be easier to keep up with when adcom meets because they will tell you at the interview when the meeting is. Quillen also places a lot of people on active hold and admits a portion of active hold at later adcom meetings. For example, I was placed on active hold after my initial interview and then accepted at the next adcom meeting.
Can confirm. Interviewed today. They said they place most people on hold first, then accept from that list at later meetings. Next meeting is 10/22. Great interview. Super relaxed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Can confirm. Interviewed today. They said they place most people on hold first, then accept from that list at later meetings. Next meeting is 10/22. Great interview. Super relaxed.

So does that mean people who interview before then (eg, early October) will be placed on hold on October 15 until the next meeting when they may or may not get accepted? Or will we just not hear anything at all until after that meeting?

So does that mean people who interview before then (eg, early October) will be placed on hold on October 15 until the next meeting when they may or may not get accepted? Or will we just not hear anything at all until after that meeting?
I would guess that those of us who interview(ed) after their September meeting won't hear anything October 15 as they would have nothing to communicate to us. Only interviewees that were discussed at the September meeting will receive an update that day. Our first communication will probably be October 23, and the vibe I got from them was to expect a waitlist initially with acceptance or rejection coming after subsequent meetings. They seem to hold off on a lot of early acceptances because of their small class size and not wanting to fill up too fast.

I would guess that those of us who interview(ed) after their September meeting won't hear anything October 15 as they would have nothing to communicate to us. Only interviewees that were discussed at the September meeting will receive an update that day. Our first communication will probably be October 23, and the vibe I got from them was to expect a waitlist initially with acceptance or rejection coming after subsequent meetings. They seem to hold off on a lot of early acceptances because of their small class size and not wanting to fill up too fast.
Based on previous years posts I would agree 100%.

So let me know if I understand this right. I am interviewing this week. Should I not expect to hear anything back (rejection/acceptance) within the month? I was under the impression they reject/accept pretty quickly.

So let me know if I understand this right. I am interviewing this week. Should I not expect to hear anything back (rejection/acceptance) within the month? I was under the impression they reject/accept pretty quickly.
Based on the small number of candidates they interview, I would suspect they will bring your file up for review at the 10/22 meeting and you would get an update on 10/23. Schools with larger interview numbers may not be able to get to all interviewed candidates in their next meeting but this school probably will. When you arrive, you'll be given a piece of paper in your folder with the day's itinerary, profiles of your interviewers, and the date of their next meeting. If they give you the 10/22 date, you should get an update on 10/23. Next meeting would be in November if they don't get to your file.

Secondary submitted first week of September, still have not heard anything yet in response. How long did it take for those that interviewed to receive II after secondary. Also do secondaries correlate with II like at UTHSC?

Secondary submitted first week of September, still have not heard anything yet in response. How long did it take for those that interviewed to receive II after secondary. Also do secondaries correlate with II like at UTHSC?
They screen, so if you get a secondary you definitely have a shot at an II.

Sure you have a shot, but I know multiple people who completed the secondary and did not receive an II in previous cycles.

He asked if secondaries correlate to IIs. They screen, so they do. Unlike schools that don’t screen where getting a secondary means nothing, you’ve already made the first cut by getting a secondary here. It’s not a guarantee, but it is correlated.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys how did you like interviewing here? what was the schedule like for your interview day? closed file/open file? how long were each of the interviews, I have heard in the past they do 2 60 minute very relaxed interviews

Hey guys how did you like interviewing here? what was the schedule like for your interview day? closed file/open file? how long were each of the interviews, I have heard in the past they do 2 60 minute very relaxed interviews
I loved it. Everyone was super friendly and the campus was really nice. Interviews were very relaxed and conversational, and you get a guided tour of the school beforehand. I actually don't remember exactly how long the interviews lasted but 60 minutes sounds about right.

Last edited:

I was surprised at how laid back the interviews were.... Like they structured it to where literally not one could "bomb" it. I wondered with how lax the interviews are, do they have a problem with selecting people? Wonderful people and a conversational interview with no gotcha questions at all. they just want to get to know you.

I talked to one of my interviewers about her work and research within the local community for nearly half the time and the other interview was literally just a conversation about how I got to where I am now with my admittedly complicated life story lol. Very fun conversations though-- awesome people. One of the interviewers told me "I'm the exact type of applicant they look for at Quillen", but I wonder if they just tell everyone that.... They're THAT nice. My stats are about average for their school, nothing crazy, so maybe they really do care about the person's fit with the mission more than anything. just speculation here though....

We'll see after the 22nd :) *fingers crossed*