2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they send out interview invites soon after the committee meeting as well? Or is it just a crapshoot?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at UTHSC and Meharry. WMU and SLU in the next month.

Google can provide the full details lol. Essentially, changes in adcom's ability to see your acceptance status at other schools when they offer you a spot. Schools focus on yield and making sure they have a full class and making sure they offer students who actually will attend and not having empty seats when the music stops next summer. Lots of speculation on what this will do to this cycle but we may be seeing the first effects. Fewer acceptances early with more waitlist usage and activity. Again, no one really knows so I'm hesitant to even offer my opinion.

1) all admission reports sent to med schools will be eliminated

Currently on or about Feb 1 of each year, med school admission offices begin to receive weekly reports that list which students they've accepted also hold acceptances at other med schools. On or about April 1, all med schools receive a list of current applicants that hold one or more medical school acceptances

Staring next cycle, both will disappear.

(Since med schools often use merit awards to persuade desirable students with multiple acceptances to enroll, this may affect how merit is awarded. It also may affect how students are drawn from the waitlists since as the cycle draws to a close, med schools often choose students with no acceptances to help guarantee a completely filled class.)

2) the prohibition on matriculating into another med school after one has already started classes at one med school will be eliminated

Currently, once a student begins orientation/classes at a med school, all other admissions/waitlists are revoked/voided.

Starting next cycle schools will be allowed to "poach" waitlisted students who have already begun classes at another med schools.

Med schools are now allowed to ask waitlisted students what their matriculation status is before they extend an acceptance off the waitlist. And.. .Although the Multiple Acceptance Reports will no longer be automatically sent to all med schools next, it's still unclear whether med school admission offices will no longer have access to a specific student's acceptance & matriculation status since that information is permanently linked to the student's AMCAS ID. Theoretically, adcomms could simply send an inquiry to AMCAS for a status check of a specific AMCAS ID before making any waitlist offers.

Reactions: 1 user
1) all admission reports sent to med schools will be eliminated

Currently on or about Feb 1 of each year, med school admission offices begin to receive weekly reports that list which students they've accepted also hold acceptances at other med schools. On or about April 1, all med schools receive a list of current applicants that hold one or more medical school acceptances

Staring next cycle, both will disappear.

(Since med schools often use merit awards to persuade desirable students with multiple acceptances to enroll, this may affect how merit is awarded. It also may affect how students are drawn from the waitlists since as the cycle draws to a close, med schools often choose students with no acceptances to help guarantee a completely filled class.)

2) the prohibition on matriculating into another med school after one has already started classes at one med school will be eliminated

Currently, once a student begins orientation/classes at a med school, all other admissions/waitlists are revoked/voided.

Starting next cycle schools will be allowed to "poach" waitlisted students who have already begun classes at another med schools.

Med schools are now allowed to ask waitlisted students what their matriculation status is before they extend an acceptance off the waitlist. And.. .Although the Multiple Acceptance Reports will no longer be automatically sent to all med schools next, it's still unclear whether med school admission offices will no longer have access to a specific student's acceptance & matriculation status since that information is permanently linked to the student's AMCAS ID. Theoretically, adcomms could simply send an inquiry to AMCAS for a status check of a specific AMCAS ID before making any waitlist offers.
Somehow this feels very scary ...

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah this honestly has me freaking out a bit lol. I know it's better than a hard rejection, but still definitely so uneasy. I figured that since my stats were a lil above avg and how well the interview went it was a slam dunk tbh. I guess you gotta have these humbling moments in life sometimes.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah this honestly has me freaking out a bit lol. I know it's better than a hard rejection, but still definitely so uneasy. I figured that since my stats were a lil above avg and how well the interview went it was a slam dunk tbh. I guess you gotta have these humbling moments in life sometimes.

Is it at all possible that they are waiting to see if we go to other schools? Seems like a lot of high stat cannidates are put on hold...

Is it at all possible that they are waiting to see if we go to other schools? Seems like a lot of high stat cannidates are put on hold...
That could be a possibility. Of course, we represent a small fraction of the candidates that interview there. And Quillen does have a small class size, low 70s.

That could be a possibility. Of course, we represent a small fraction of the candidates that interview there. And Quillen does have a small class size, low 70s.

Yeah, true, but I'd also imagine we'd represent the higher end of the curve. reporter bias yadda yadda...

Last year they gave out 130 acceptance offers for a mere 72 spots. So there are a fair number of applicants that get accepted, decide to go elsewhere and ultimately have to be replaced with new candidates. I suspect that when "traffic day" comes there will be significant movement from active hold. But hopefully some of us will get good news before April!

For those who interviewed already, did Mr. Taylor or someone else go over the traffic rules process? I heard him speaking during an AAMC webinar that got released online recently, so I think he's definitely well in the know on the traffic rules this year.

For those who interviewed already, did Mr. Taylor or someone else go over the traffic rules process? I heard him speaking during an AAMC webinar that got released online recently, so I think he's definitely well in the know on the traffic rules this year.

5-10 minutes of the slide show presentation covered new AAMC policies, they also gave us a print out with more details. I was so excited at the time I didn't think much of it lol.

Submitted my primaries in early September and still haven't received or heard anything back from this school regarding secondaries. Anyone in a similar position?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my primaries in early September and still haven't received or heard anything back from this school regarding secondaries. Anyone in a similar position?
They screen super hard. I submitted my primary in June and didn't receive a secondary until September 27. Many here got one early September.

I called them in August (?) asking about how long it takes because I submitted in June and they said it takes a longgggg time because they do two separate screens. I'd call them! they'd probably tell you which screen you're in right now and when to maybe expect something. I didn't get my II until September 7th or something like that. It takes them a loooooong time

I think it all depends. I received an II 3 weeks after submitting my secondary. I also think it's possible I just hit the submit button in the right time window that it worked out that I received an II so soon. So much of this process will always remain a mystery...

On hold as well. Any idea why we haven't seen anything but holds from the 10/22 meeting? Any idea when the next meeting is? Any info at all?

@Matthew9Thirtyfive you asked for your interview back after turning it down? Bold and awesome, my dude! When is it?

On hold as well. Any idea why we haven't seen anything but holds from the 10/22 meeting? Any idea when the next meeting is? Any info at all?

@Matthew9Thirtyfive you asked for your interview back after turning it down? Bold and awesome, my dude! When is it?

Yeah, well I really like the school from everything I've read and from students I've talked to, but I didn't think there was any way I could swing it. We have small children, and HPSP doesn't provide healthcare for your dependents, and the money wouldn't work. But we've found a realistic way around those issues, so I could make it happen if I got accepted. I figured you have a zero percent chance if you don't ask, and I had nothing to lose, so I just went for it. Thank God, they were really understanding and reactivated my application. I don't know the date yet, but will be getting an email soon with available dates.

Reactions: 1 users
Did they reply to your email accepting your interview or should I expect no reply?

Did they reply to your email accepting your interview or should I expect no reply?
I got a confirmation email after accepting the date they sent: II 8/28 morning, accepted their date via email that night, second email with a little bit more information 8/29 morning. If you didn't get the second, I would call and make sure they got it.

Dang it I'm on the 28th so I'm not meeting any of you guys lol.

Every month. Based on last year's thread. My guess for next meeting would be 11/19 with notifications on 11/20. Recent interviewees will have the actual date though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Gotcha. I’m interviewing after that so I’m hoping they have a December meeting date too.

Gotcha. I’m interviewing after that so I’m hoping they have a December meeting date too.
They will. And they'll tell you the exact date at your interview. Pass it along for those of us in purgatory lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you that have interviewed at UTHSC and Quillen, which did you like better, what are some pros and cons.

II excited. Like the school mission. IS nontraditional High Mcat/Low GPA (but 4.0 postbacc) Complete 11/13 Must have passed casper!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today!!!! Waitlisted last month. Crazy fast turnaround! I'm spazzin out

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!

First choice school for me!
I was not expecting that email today haha.

Congrats to my future classmates that got notified today. For everyone else hang in there!