2018-2019 Howard University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All 250 words or less

1. Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? Please explain/describe briefly:

2. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? Please explain/describe briefly:

3. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? Please explain/describe briefly:

No character limit
4. Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)

There's also a section to explain any discrepancies with your pre-requisite coursework

Interview Feedback: Howard University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
READYYY!!! HUCM CLASS OF 2023 CLAIMED IT! Prayers have been sent up. Let’s get it fellow classmates!!!!!!

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
READYYY!!! HUCM CLASS OF 2023 CLAIMED IT! Prayers have been sent up. Let’s get it fellow classmates!!!!!!
Hey everyone, I am a rising junior at HUCM. If anyone is looking to find a place beginning in July, I have an availability right next to HUCM. Place is furnished and close to U st shopping. Send me message for details.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I am a rising junior at HUCM. If anyone is looking to find a place beginning in July, I have an availability right next to HUCM. Place is furnished and close to U st shopping. Send me message for details.
Can I ask you a few questions regarding HUCM?

do you know if howard med has soroities ?

Just received my MCAT score. To be honest, it was pretty disappointing (498). I know the average MCAT score for Howard isn't super high, but my score makes me doubt if I am currently a good fit for Med school. Since I already submitted my primary application, do you guys think I should continue with the secondary application (if I get one) or should I wait for next year's cycle since I will reset and retake the exam early next year to make sure I am super prepared this time? Someone please private message me to give me some advice...

Just received my MCAT score. To be honest, it was pretty disappointing (498). I know the average MCAT score for Howard isn't super high, but my score makes me doubt if I am currently a good fit for Med school. Since I already submitted my primary application, do you guys think I should continue with the secondary application (if I get one) or should I wait for next year's cycle since I will reset and retake the exam early next year to make sure I am super prepared this time? Someone please private message me to give me some advice...

Honestly you never know. If other parts of your application are stellar (i.e. GPA, ECs...) and you are considered URM, you may have a shot despite the low MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
I say follow your gut feeling tbh. If you feel like you have a chance, then go for it. If not, then consider your other options.

MCAT of 498 is still within the 10th percentile for accepted applicants to Howard! You could also consider studying now for MCAT for re-take in September to raise your score and just send an app update to admissions to show improvement of your score

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. I took the MCAT last year and received a low score. I plan to take the MCAT again but its not until September 19. However, I wasn't sure if i should send my application in before i get my new scores?

what is your gpa?

Hey. I took the MCAT last year and received a low score. I plan to take the MCAT again but its not until September 19. However, I wasn't sure if i should send my application in before i get my new scores?
Honestly you never know. If other parts of your application are stellar (i.e. GPA, ECs...) and you are considered URM, you may have a shot despite the low MCAT.
Exactly, for instance the aamc data indicates that African american applicants with mcat 498-500 and gpa's of 3.60-3.79 have a 75% chance at MD programs. I am in that same boat. Your personal statement and EC's go a lot farther too. I have extensive work in underserved communities and I'm a d 1 football player and so I have been told by those on the admission committees at top 20 med schools to apply. No matter what others say on here you are much more than a number. Make that clear in your application and you will be successful. I would also apply asap too.

science or overall? and whats your race

Overall, I'm not yet aware of my science gpa, but I'm sure it's a little higher. I'm African BTW
Thats good, based on the AAMC data AA with your stats have a 75% chance of getting in to an MD program. I would only apply though if you feel confident in your ECs and personal statement. Many people on here will tell you that youll get screened out from secondaries, don't listen. I have gotten 30 and submitted 25 secondaries already, you will not get screened out unless that school is only for in staters. Do you have any experience working in underserved communities?

EDIT: also add LORs too, they are very important

Overall, I'm not yet aware of my science gpa, but I'm sure it's a little higher. I'm African BTW

Lol sooooo are you black or white?!?!

But I would ask you to look at AAMC data from last year to see acceptance rates by sex, race, MCAT and GPA, total applicants from your race and total matriculates. I think this will give you a better gauge.

Lol sooooo are you black or white?!?!

But I would ask you to look at AAMC data from last year to see acceptance rates by sex, race, MCAT and GPA, total applicants from your race and total matriculates. I think this will give you a better gauge.
I just assumed he was black, but yes it does make a pretty big difference lmao

I submitted my app with a lowwww mcat from a few years ago and my test is scheduled for august. From my understanding, some schools will wait and others will send you a secondary regardless because schools make money off of them ( I got a good amount even with the score I had). IDK about the schools that don't fall into either category but I know HU will send a secondary either way. If you have concerns, I say contact your top choices but I'm sure its fine. I did it stepping out on faith but to each his own.

My AMCAS primary was verified by July 1st... Still haven't received the secondary from Howard. Anyone from the same boat?

My AMCAS primary was verified by July 1st... Still haven't received the secondary from Howard. Anyone from the same boat?
No one has gotten it, even those verified on day 1. Howard hasn't sent them out yet.

Exactly, for instance the aamc data indicates that African american applicants with mcat 498-500 and gpa's of 3.60-3.79 have a 75% chance at MD programs. I am in that same boat. Your personal statement and EC's go a lot farther too. I have extensive work in underserved communities and I'm a d 1 football player and so I have been told by those on the admission committees at top 20 med schools to apply. No matter what others say on here you are much more than a number. Make that clear in your application and you will be successful. I would also apply asap too.

I was looking into opportunities to work with underserved communities, what would you recommend?

I was looking into opportunities to work with underserved communities, what would you recommend?
From what I have heard and read these schools love ppl who have a passion in serving those areas.
Illinois Chicago (UIC)
Loyola
All HBCU's
Temple
UCLA/Drew
GW
could be more
Unfortunately, many of the big time medical schools are located in underserved areas so i would apply to them only if you have enough $$.

what state r u from

Anyone received a secondary from Howard yet? Anyone contact the office yet for updates?

just got an emailed saying they won't send out secondaries until late august and if you don't receive one until mid september and you've been verified then to email them.

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only person that Howard almost just gave a stroke on a Friday?! Lol I read the first sentence of the email they just sent about secondaries and saw the next sentence starting with “however,” and I literally felt my heart sink! I dead ass thought they were about to say we regret to inform u blah blah...Only for it to say secondaries will be sent out in late August. Lol they gotta chill fam.

Just got email saying AMCAS primary application received. They gave me a mini attack, I thought I got a secondary

Am I the only person that Howard almost just gave a stroke on a Friday?! Lol I read the first sentence of the email they just sent about secondaries and saw the next sentence starting with “however,” and I literally felt my heart sink! I dead ass thought they were about to say we regret to inform u blah blah...Only for it to say secondaries will be sent out in late August. Lol they gotta chill fam.
Was definitely like, "Dang! Well let me...." Oh its says later in August? Ok! Still got a shot! :arghh:;)

Heads up for those of you who didn't attend HU for undergrad, masters, diy post bac, etc., the school always does things last minute. I love my alma mater but it wouldn't be Howard if everything was done in a timely matter lol. Patience and prayer is key with this school :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users

Lol, SAME! I had to read the email twice just to make sure it wasn't a pre-secondary rejection.

Reactions: 3 users
i got a 498 and already got an interview to another medical school. try to schools that say they are holistic. have faith. everything in my application was solid, just mcat was the issue. depends on the other factors tbh. try now if u take an L , take time to fix ur application holes adn apply when ur ready that second time

bruhhh i was sh**ttttttttty lmfaooo

i got a 498 and already got an interview to another medical school. try to schools that say they are holistic. have faith. everything in my application was solid, just mcat was the issue. depends on the other factors tbh. try now if u take an L , take time to fix ur application holes adn apply when ur ready that second time

What school if you don't mind me asking???

I'm still waiting on my application to be verified so fingers crossed :whistle:

Secondary received !! A bit bummed they don’t waive for FAP ☹️

Secondary received today!

questions are the same as last year

Last edited:
Does this school send secondaries in waves or all at once? I didn't receive anything today and I've been verified for a while.

Also can someone go ahead and post the questions and word limit?

Does this school send secondaries in waves or all at once? I didn't receive anything today and I've been verified for a while.

Also can someone go ahead and post the questions and word limit?

Not sure if they send it out in waves, they sent an email at the beginning of the month saying:

"Secondary Application invites from Howard University College of Medicine are scheduled to be e-mailed out in late August 2018 to verified applicants ONLY. If you have not received a Secondary Invite e-mail by mid September 2018, please send us an e-mail titled "Did Not Receive Secondary Invitation" to [email protected]. Be sure to include your name and AMCAS ID #."

All 250 words or less

1. Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? Please explain/describe briefly:

2. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? Please explain/describe briefly:

3. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? Please explain/describe briefly:

No character limit
4. Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)

There's also a section to explain any discrepancies with your pre-requisite coursework

Last edited:
Secondary received as well! Good luck everyone!

250 characters or less? that's the shortest limit I've ever seen