2018-2019 Morehouse School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you who got complete emails. Did you send in pictures? I am still not complete since July 23rd and maybe that's the reason
I submitted July 27th and was complete within 3 hours without sending picture.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary on July 19 and hadn't heard anything so I called admissions. Turns out they didn't realize my committee letter was not a single letter and took care of the issue immediately! so if you also submitted a committee letter and still haven't been marked complete definitely call admissions, they are extremely helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted secondary 8/13 marked confirmed 8/15 no complete email yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary 8/13 marked confirmed 8/15 no complete email yet
Hey, just to clarify: does yours now say "confirmed" where it used to say "submitted" on the activity page? Or do you see this somewhere else?

very unprofessional. i receieved an email "decision made" and clicked on the link of my application to see the results. could not find an ii or rejection anywhereeee. also called and replied back to the email and haven't heard back in 2 weeks.

very unprofessional. i receieved an email "decision made" and clicked on the link of my application to see the results. could not find an ii or rejection anywhereeee. also called and replied back to the email and haven't heard back in 2 weeks.

Yup still waiting to hear back on why I don't even have a secondary lol. Definitely above average stats

Yup still waiting to hear back on why I don't even have a secondary lol. Definitely above average stats

I know they screen! I’m just not sure what type of screen it is...if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I click on the link in my secondary submission confirmation email, it takes me to a new portal via Apply Web.

When I click on "Application Status" it says that Application for Admission to MD program: Submitted.

Does this mean I am confirmed?

Can anyone clarify?

When I click on the link in my secondary submission confirmation email, it takes me to a new portal via Apply Web.

When I click on "Application Status" it says that Application for Admission to MD program: Submitted.

Does this mean I am confirmed?

Can anyone clarify?
Yeah, I was wondering about this too, especially since the email with that link says to look for "Confirmed". Mine still says "submitted," though.
But I did get an email after I submitted the secondary saying "Morehouse School of Medicine is pleased to acknowledge receipt of your supplemental application. Your application is now complete and will be screened for a possible interview," so I think I'm all set now(?).

Yeah, I was wondering about this too, especially since the email with that link says to look for "Confirmed". Mine still says "submitted," though.
But I did get an email after I submitted the secondary saying "Morehouse School of Medicine is pleased to acknowledge receipt of your supplemental application. Your application is now complete and will be screened for a possible interview," so I think I'm all set now(?).
Yes. I have an interview this Friday and that was the email I got before I was invited for interview so you’re all set on your end.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I have an interview this Friday and that was the email I got before I was invited for interview so you’re all set on your end.
Got it, thanks! Good luck with your interview!

I submitted my secondary on July 19 and hadn't heard anything so I called admissions. Turns out they didn't realize my committee letter was not a single letter and took care of the issue immediately! so if you also submitted a committee letter and still haven't been marked complete definitely call admissions, they are extremely helpful!
Just did and that was the reason!

Do you have to do anything after you get the complete email? On the portal, there is a checklist, but do you have to do those things? like put your resume?

Members don't see this ad :)

thank you so much! I just called and did this and finally got the complete email

Do you have to do anything after you get the complete email? On the portal, there is a checklist, but do you have to do those things? like put your resume?

I just uploaded a picture but you don't have to add anything else unless you're an international student

Anyone hear back for II?

Yes, apparently they screen out applicants prior to secondaries

:( I didn't know they screened. I got an email from them 10 days ago saying "Morehouse School of Medicine has received your AMCAS application. We will now process your application and will update you regarding your status if and when that changes.". Ugh, I wonder if I call and ask what the screen is if they'll tell me? I really wanted the chance to at least submit a secondary. damn

:( I didn't know they screened. I got an email from them 10 days ago saying "Morehouse School of Medicine has received your AMCAS application. We will now process your application and will update you regarding your status if and when that changes.". Ugh, I wonder if I call and ask what the screen is if they'll tell me? I really wanted the chance to at least submit a secondary. damn
I'm curious about what they screen for, too. I think it has to be somewhat related to stats, but it definitely isn't purely GPA because I received one and mine is on the lower end. I also don't think it's holistic because I received it the same day I was verified (and even before I received the "We received you AMCAS app" email), so I doubt someone reviewed it that quickly. Maybe it's purely MCAT-related?

this was written in 2011 I believe. From what I got, I don’t think their pre-screen is about numbers. I found this on a website but SDN won’t let me post the link.

“Morehouse School of Medicine specifically aims to recruit the student that is committed to the mission of the medical school. While most medical schools consider MCAT scores, scholastic ability, and prior exposure to medicine as core admissions criteria, MSM actively looks for mission centered students. Examples of this type of student include those who have a desire to go and serve in underserved areas, a history of community service involvement, and an expressed interest in primary care. Their strategy is to examine the students’ ‘entire portfolio’. Students that have demonstrated proclivity to social accountability are given equal standing to scholastic ability. Once the minimum requirements are met, students must answer a series of questions on their secondary application that allow them to articulate their commitment and alignment with the mission of MSM. Maturity, preparedness for medical school, the ability to help others, and significant service experiences are quantified by the admissions committee.

A student who has superior scholastic ability but lacks social accountability interests is not a good fit for MSM and will likely not be granted admission. Furthermore, applicants with lower MCAT scores with a strong commitment to community service may be strongly considered for admission. MSM has shown that it is able to matriculate highly driven students who may have lower MCAT scores and prepare them to successfully pass the board exams on the first attempt comparable with national levels. High scholastic achieving students are recruited as well, but they “have let applicants with very high credentials go because they don’t fit the mission,” stated a faculty member. Students do not necessarily have to be committed to primary care, but are recruited if they have demonstrated a compassion for underserved communities. It is an admittedly more labor intensive qualitative than quantitative admissions process. However, the reward of this process is the matriculation of students who are the ‘best fit’ for this institution.”

Reactions: 4 users
this was written in 2011 I believe. From what I got, I don’t think their pre-screen is about numbers. I found this on a website but SDN won’t let me post the link.

“Morehouse School of Medicine specifically aims to recruit the student that is committed to the mission of the medical school. While most medical schools consider MCAT scores, scholastic ability, and prior exposure to medicine as core admissions criteria, MSM actively looks for mission centered students. Examples of this type of student include those who have a desire to go and serve in underserved areas, a history of community service involvement, and an expressed interest in primary care. Their strategy is to examine the students’ ‘entire portfolio’. Students that have demonstrated proclivity to social accountability are given equal standing to scholastic ability. Once the minimum requirements are met, students must answer a series of questions on their secondary application that allow them to articulate their commitment and alignment with the mission of MSM. Maturity, preparedness for medical school, the ability to help others, and significant service experiences are quantified by the admissions committee.

A student who has superior scholastic ability but lacks social accountability interests is not a good fit for MSM and will likely not be granted admission. Furthermore, applicants with lower MCAT scores with a strong commitment to community service may be strongly considered for admission. MSM has shown that it is able to matriculate highly driven students who may have lower MCAT scores and prepare them to successfully pass the board exams on the first attempt comparable with national levels. High scholastic achieving students are recruited as well, but they “have let applicants with very high credentials go because they don’t fit the mission,” stated a faculty member. Students do not necessarily have to be committed to primary care, but are recruited if they have demonstrated a compassion for underserved communities. It is an admittedly more labor intensive qualitative than quantitative admissions process. However, the reward of this process is the matriculation of students who are the ‘best fit’ for this institution.”
Ah, cool! This is really interesting; where'd you find it?

I'm suddenly feeling like it was totally a computer system glitch or something that sent me the email with a secondary, because I got verified on a Saturday and received the secondary invite 9 MINUTES LATER ... there's obviously no way someone holistically went through my app to check for mission fit. But, hey, I'll take whatever I can get :rofl:

I'm suddenly feeling like it was totally a computer system glitch or something that sent me the email with a secondary, because I got verified on a Saturday and received the secondary invite 9 MINUTES LATER ... there's obviously no way someone holistically went through my app to check for mission fit. But, hey, I'll take whatever I can get :rofl:

Same! Lol I refuse to believe someone reviewed my app within minuets. im trying to post where I got it from but SDN won’t let me!

I’ve been complete since August 5th and haven’t heard anything back. Has anyone who’s been complete around my complete date heard anything back yet?

I’ve been complete since August 5th and haven’t heard anything back. Has anyone who’s been complete around my complete date heard anything back yet?

Haven’t heard a peep!

Please let me know what their reason for not sending a secondary is .. I’m also waiting and very confused....

I was complete august 7th and I'm in the same boat. Sent in my picture a few days ago and got a confirmation email they added it to my file but still waiting. We're probably the next batch to hear back

Yea there's no way the prescreen was holistic. I added Morehouse the day my MCAT came out and got invited to the secondary like 10 minutes later. Probably a basic GPA and MCAT screen. It seems they take the deliberations very seriously from that mission statement in deciding who gets an interview

Can someone explain the LOR tab? Since mine will be submitted via AMCAS, what do I write in that section? Do I just list all the professors again?

Please let me know what their reason for not sending a secondary is .. I’m also waiting and very confused....

She told me they are having a lot of technical glitches. After reaching out multiple times, I got the secondary. Not sure whether it was bc of the glitches or bc I was really screened out who knows

should i bother with a secondary? Not a URM, but lots of clinical and volunteer hours with URM and a STRONG dedication to volunteerism in underserved areas. currently in mississippi, 501 MCT but 3.95 GPA, endless list of ECs and shadowing. over 1000s clinical total. wondering if submitting a secondary application is worth it bc my MCAT is low and i am not URM. Thoughts?

should i bother with a secondary? Not a URM, but lots of clinical and volunteer hours with URM and a STRONG dedication to volunteerism in underserved areas. currently in mississippi, 501 MCT but 3.95 GPA, endless list of ECs and shadowing. over 1000s clinical total. wondering if submitting a secondary application is worth it bc my MCAT is low and i am not URM. Thoughts?

Yes because strong dedication to underserved areas? But then again I haven't submitted a secondary yet so what do I know

Submitted my application and sent the picture form in. Whenever I sign in to get back to the page with the forms, it’s only showing me that I submitted the application, and where to view it in HTML or print receipt. Any know how I can get back to the forms?? Would really appreciate it.

Hey! Sorry for being dense or if I missed this.. where do you see the picture form? Is it something that appears post-submission? Thank you!

Hey! Sorry for being dense or if I missed this.. where do you see the picture form? Is it something that appears post-submission? Thank you!
You can just email them (at their admissions email) a word doc with a professional photo of yourself 2.5 by 2.5 inches with your name and Amcas id and that counts as well. It's not really a form per say. When I couldn't find the form I called them and they told me this

Hi Spicydesi,

I found this form through google by searching "Morehouse picture form". https://www.applyweb.com/mh2/MDpicture_form.pdf

If you go back to the application portal, you can see a link that says "View Checklist".
Scroll all the way down, and you will see an option to upload the completed picture form.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi Spicydesi,

I found this form through google by searching "Morehouse picture form". https://www.applyweb.com/mh2/MDpicture_form.pdf

If you go back to the application portal, you can see a link that says "View Checklist".
Scroll all the way down, and you will see an option to upload the completed picture form.

Hope this helps.
Can attest this is the form

Yeah they want you to divide up your time in percentage and it should equal 100 at the end
What if you are unsure? Split everything up evenly?
This part of the secondary is definitely different compared to other schools!

I definitely would.

There is one essay in the secondary that is "why Morehouse". Make sure you spill your heart on that and demonstrate how you are the perfect fit for the school's mission.

Heads up: I called the admissions office bc my app was saying that I am missing materials. They said that if you have a committee letter then their system is glitching and not registering that information. They said that your app will say materials needed for the cycle likely, but that it will still be looked at given that all the material is actually there.

I submitted secondary on Saturday and upon receipt of a letter of rec today got the email saying I was complete. Would you guys happen to knwowthe general time frame between secondary submission and either rejection or interview invite? I'm thinking a month average but could it be 2 weeksish? So anxious! I keep re-reading my secondary and I should have added some stuff and I'm doubting everything lol

Hey, just to clarify: does yours now say "confirmed" where it used to say "submitted" on the activity page? Or do you see this somewhere else?
It says Confirmed 05:40 AM, August 15, 2018

It says Confirmed 05:40 AM, August 15, 2018
Okay, thanks. On mine, it hasn’t ever changed from “submitted” to “confirmed,” but in the checklist it says “Completed.”

Do we have to upload a resume too or is that only if we have any updates in our application?

Can someone explain the LOR tab? Since mine will be submitted via AMCAS, what do I write in that section? Do I just list all the professors again?

I’m also confused by this.

N
I’m also confused by this.
No one answered me so I just listed 3 professors that had already sent their letters via AMCAS. I was sent an email that I was complete just a day and a half later so all is good!

N

No one answered me so I just listed 3 professors that had already sent their letters via AMCAS. I was sent an email that I was complete just a day and a half later so all is good!

Ok thanks for the update!

Secondary received, submitted my primary on 08/01.

What’s the best number to talk to someone in admissions?? I’ve been calling for 2 days now. I’ve submitted on 7/31 and still haven’t received a complete email.