2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYMC gives a 1 out 0f 10 on the MMI. Curious if the only real criteria of acceptance is just MMI scores or they still take other things (Volunteering, grades, etc. into account).

I got this answer on reddit: Normally each station gives you a 1-10 score with comments to justify it. If you meet whatever cut off they want, you’re probably in

It’s an average score across stations. Interview score coupled with a review of your application by the committee determines accept/reject/waitlist. All aspects of the application matter, it’s considered as a whole and never as individual pieces. MMI is obviously a huge part (because interviews are very important) but the review is really taking all of the applicant into account.

I hope that makes some sense to answer your question?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s an average score across stations. Interview score coupled with a review of your application by the committee determines accept/reject/waitlist. All aspects of the application matter, it’s considered as a whole and never as individual pieces. MMI is obviously a huge part (because interviews are very important) but the review is really taking all of the applicant into account.

I hope that makes some sense to answer your question?

Makes sense, thank you!

Would it be worth requesting a feedback meeting on my application if I was waitlisted, or should I wait it out until I am accepted/rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be worth requesting a feedback meeting on my application if I was waitlisted, or should I wait it out until I am accepted/rejected?

Definitely wait it out. This waitlist generally moves pretty well and it’s early yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! Interviewed early December. So, so excited!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!!! Interviewed 11/19. Super excited

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Interviewed late November

Last edited:
Accepted! Interviewed 11/20

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oh snap things are happening

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what is it looking like for people who haven't been placed on hold or received an interview invite?

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone interviewed in Nov or early Dec that has not heard back? I interviewed late Nov and still haven’t heard.

Has anyone interviewed in Nov or early Dec that has not heard back? I interviewed late Nov and still haven’t heard.
Interviewed late Nov, haven't heard back. You're not alone. Chillax.

I also interviewed in early Dec and haven’t heard back.

Keeping my fingers crossed with y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Interviewed mid Nov and haven't heard anything, either we're all screwed or they're just weird about releasing As in order lol. Hoping for the latter

Folks there were a couple people who got accepted today. Lets just be happy for them and not assume all is lost, eh?

Do they reject pre interview or wait until the end of cycle?

anyone have any idea the odds of being offered an II after being put on hold?

anyone have any idea the odds of being offered an II after being put on hold?

It happens every year, although the actual chances are difficult to say since this sort of info isn’t really available.

If you read last year’s thread (and the one before) you’ll see many people getting interviews later in the season from hold status.

If you haven't been put on hold status, can we take that as a good sign?

I interview in a month and need to plan my travel arrangements. What airport is the best to fly into? Should i rent a car or is uber / lyft fine?

I interview in a month and need to plan my travel arrangements. What airport is the best to fly into? Should i rent a car or is uber / lyft fine?

I’m partial to JFK and uber myself for simplicity. I don’t recommend renting a car because driving is more of a pain in the city (plus tolls) and you probably won’t need to go anywhere aside from the campus and the airport.

I’m partial to JFK and uber myself for simplicity. I don’t recommend renting a car because driving is more of a pain in the city (plus tolls) and you probably won’t need to go anywhere aside from the campus and the airport.

JFK, Newark and LGA are all fine - I think they're pretty comparable in distance, with LGA being slightly closer than JFK, which is slightly closer than Newark. I would also recommend ubering, if you're okay with the expense.

Last edited:
LGA, JFK and Newark a

JFK, Newark and LGA are all fine - I think they're pretty comparable in distance, with LGA being slightly closer than JFK, which is slightly closer than Newark. I would also recommend ubering, if you're okay with the expense.

I agree definitely. I personally like JFK because they’re a JetBlue hub and LGA is kinda dingy but all are totally fine. Whichever gives the best fare is the one to pick.

JFK Uber is somewhere from $60-95 each way in my experience depending on the day, which is definitely worth it in that there’s no stress of renting a car and driving. To each their own though, just offering anecdote. As long as you’re there at the interview and at your best, it won’t matter.

As a NYC resident, I'd recommend LGA>= JFK >Newark just for simplicity of travel. JFK is a little easier to get in/out of, but it adds a more travel time.
Fly into one of the airports, take a bus or train to Grand Central or the Harlem Metro North stop (M60SBS from LGA is reliable and gets you right to the Harlem stop; from JFK you need the AirTrain, then E, then transfer to a 6 to get to grand central). Then from GCT or Harlem, you take the metro north to Valhalla and uber from there (like a 10-15 min drive) -- this is what I did when I interviewed. I would highly advise not taking an uber or cab in NYC because you'll be looking at a minimum $60 charge just from the airport, and it'll save you maybe 15-20 min travel time (or worse, take longer than the subway due to traffic). Google maps is reliable, and New Yorkers are helpful, so if you're unsure if your train/bus/direction is right, you can always ask.

If you haven't been put on hold status, can we take that as a good sign?

Man, I wish I knew. I haven't been put on hold either. The lack of information and ridiculous amounts of waiting involved in this process is frustrating. After 4+ months of waiting, we should have some idea as to where we stand. An R, II, Hold, or some other status should have been given. And this goes to all schools.

Reactions: 8 users
Man, I wish I knew. I haven't been put on hold either. The lack of information and ridiculous amounts of waiting involved in this process is frustrating. After 4+ months of waiting, we should have some idea as to where we stand. An R, II, Hold, or some other status should have been given. And this goes to all schools.

I agree. There really has to be a better way for this entire process.

Question for those who have interviewed - was there extensive walking outdoors during the tour? I interview next week and while I am sure I will need a coat, I'm iffy about which shoes I should be wearing. Thank you!

Question for those who have interviewed - was there extensive walking outdoors during the tour? I interview next week and while I am sure I will need a coat, I'm iffy about which shoes I should be wearing. Thank you!

We only had to walk to and from the shuttle van twice. There was not a lot of walking outside at all but definitely bundle up

I agree. There really has to be a better way for this entire process.
The lack of even the slightest transparency is the utmost upsetting. Us applicants spill our guts out onto our applications, which they end up reading, and yet we get not even the slightest hint of their opinion.

The lack of even the slightest transparency is the utmost upsetting. Us applicants spill our guts out onto our applications, which they end up reading, and yet we get not even the slightest hint of their opinion.

In addition to spending thousands of dollars to /maybe/ get accepted...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know when the next batch of post-II decisions will be sent out?

Interviewing here soon! Can anyone who interviewed tell me what the informal breakfast is like?

Interviewing here soon! Can anyone who interviewed tell me what the informal breakfast is like?

Applicants are taken to the cafeteria, where they are given a breakfast voucher they can use to get pretty much whatever they want (coffee, fruit, oatmeal, eggs etc). They then sit together in a room just off the cafeteria, and are given the opportunity to talk to current medical students (and each other). It's very casual, and the med students don't have any input into your application.

Hope that helps!

Does anyone know how to send admissions an update? I don't see any info regarding updates anywhere.

Does anyone know how to send admissions an update? I don't see any info regarding updates anywhere.
email mdadmit@nymc the update as a PDF along with your amcas ID.

Applicants are taken to the cafeteria, where they are given a breakfast voucher they can use to get pretty much whatever they want (coffee, fruit, oatmeal, eggs etc). They then sit together in a room just off the cafeteria, and are given the opportunity to talk to current medical students (and each other). It's very casual, and the med students don't have any input into your application.

Hope that helps!

It helped a lot, thank you so much!

Just finished my interview. Loved the school! Hoping to get in

Just finished my interview. Loved the school! Hoping to get in

I feel the same way!
Did admissions happen to mention when the next batch of post-interview decisions will be sent?

Hi all - I am interviewing here on February 4th, 2019. I am flying to LaGuardia on the evening of the 3rd and was wondering if anyone in the same situation wants to split an Uber with me!
Alternatively, if anyone knows a cheaper way to get to Valhalla, I would greatly appreciate it!

I feel the same way!
Did admissions happen to mention when the next batch of post-interview decisions will be sent?

Unfortunately no exact date :(. But just so you know the post interview acceptance rate is very high (60%), so you have a good shot. Keep the faith!

should I send an update before or after my upcoming interview? o_O

If you already have an interview , I think you should send it post interview along with a thank you