2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not in holistic review either. I wonder how much of your application they look at before deciding to put you in holistic review.
Where do you get that holistic review status?

This is what my status says since I've submitted my application on 08/28 "We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review. "

MSTP applicant if it makes a difference!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where do you get that holistic review status?

This is what my status says since I've submitted my application on 08/28 "We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation. Your application is now considered complete and under review. "

MSTP applicant if it makes a difference!

I'm applying to the MD program, so maybe the application portal is different for MSTP. On the MD applicant portal, there's a box at the bottom of the Application Status section that says "In holistic review"

Hey guys! I'm trying to finalize my interview date. My options are Oct 16th and November 13th. They also offered a couple dates the first week of November, but those conflict with travel time for another interview. If I pick Oct 16th, I'm a bit nervous how soon that is and that Feinberg will be my first interview of the cycle (and one of my top picks). But I know it could be advantageous to interview as early as possible. Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm trying to finalize my interview date. My options are Oct 16th and November 13th. They also offered a couple dates the first week of November, but those conflict with travel time for another interview. If I pick Oct 16th, I'm a bit nervous how soon that is and that Feinberg will be my first interview of the cycle (and one of my top picks). But I know it could be advantageous to interview as early as possible. Anyone have any advice?
Feinberg does a modified rolling admissions process. With their earliest acceptances coming out mid-November, it may be beneficial to interview earlier. But I would say it would be best to interview when you feel most prepared. For what it’s worth, I thought this was an easy interview day that doesn’t need much/any prep.

Feinberg does a modified rolling admissions process. With their earliest acceptances coming out mid-November, it may be beneficial to interview earlier. But I would say it would be best to interview when you feel most prepared. For what it’s worth, I thought this was an easy interview day that doesn’t need much/any prep.
Thank you! Yea I heard about the modified rolling admissions and that's why I didn't know how much it mattered. But great to know that you didn't feel it required much prep.

Also do you happen to know when the different admissions batches are if the first one is mid-Nov?

Also do you happen to know when the different admissions batches are if the first one is mid-Nov?

If I remember right it is mid-Nov, late-Jan and then end of the cycle in March.

M2 at Feinberg here - at least during my interview year, they told us they would get back to us in ~1 month after the interview date (for people who interviewed after the Octoberish date when med schools are allowed to release decisions) but I got my acceptance about 2 weeks after the interview. Anecdotally, it seemed like they were pretty fast for people that they accepted right away after the interview and slower to respond to people who were ultimately deferred to the end of the cycle (February/March) - BUT I wanna say like a third or half the class gets in after being initially deferred (including some of the most accomplished people I know) so it's definitely not a bad thing or anything. I think it's always good to interview early but I interviewed in January so if you decide to wait until November it's not like you'll be super late in the cycle or anything. Also this was all two years ago so things may have definitely changed!

Don't be too nervous about your Feinberg interview! Everyone here is super, super nice and focused on making sure you have a good time and like the school. I felt like the faculty interviews I had here were some of the chillest I had and the group interview sounds scary but it's really fun (and some people in my class actually met when they did their group interview together).

Feel free to message me if you (or anyone else) have any specific questions or anything :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do all applications eventually go into holistic review or is it a form of a silent rejection?

(congrats on those with IIs and good luck to those who haven't heard!)

Do all applications eventually go into holistic review or is it a form of a silent rejection?

(congrats on those with IIs and good luck to those who haven't heard!)
I was in holistic review for about 3 months before an II so it's definitely no a silent rejection

Thanks! I meant getting into holistic review in the first place. Do all applicants get there?

M2 at Feinberg here - at least during my interview year, they told us they would get back to us in ~1 month after the interview date (for people who interviewed after the Octoberish date when med schools are allowed to release decisions) but I got my acceptance about 2 weeks after the interview. Anecdotally, it seemed like they were pretty fast for people that they accepted right away after the interview and slower to respond to people who were ultimately deferred to the end of the cycle (February/March) - BUT I wanna say like a third or half the class gets in after being initially deferred (including some of the most accomplished people I know) so it's definitely not a bad thing or anything. I think it's always good to interview early but I interviewed in January so if you decide to wait until November it's not like you'll be super late in the cycle or anything. Also this was all two years ago so things may have definitely changed!

Don't be too nervous about your Feinberg interview! Everyone here is super, super nice and focused on making sure you have a good time and like the school. I felt like the faculty interviews I had here were some of the chillest I had and the group interview sounds scary but it's really fun (and some people in my class actually met when they did their group interview together).

Feel free to message me if you (or anyone else) have any specific questions or anything :)

Awesome, thank you so much! This is super informative and great to know. I decided to schedule my interview for November because next Tuesday is too soon haha, glad to know that's not too late :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that interviewed, at one point did they inform you on who you are interviewing/whether it was closed or open/any other salient info?

For those that interviewed, at one point did they inform you on who you are interviewing/whether it was closed or open/any other salient info?
Your interviewers and time slots are listed on a sheet in the folder they provide. Dr. Kundu tells you about closed/open file during the morning orientation. For reference, both faculty are full open file and medical student is closed.

Does anyone who interviewed already remember when we may hear back? Was it November?

Does anyone who interviewed already remember when we may hear back? Was it November?

About mid-November or so. Some people will get accepted while the majority will still be considered until Feb or so!

Is it normal to not be in holistic review yet if you've been complete for ~2 months?

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone who interviewed remember when they said we could send letters of continued interest? Was it immediately after the interview or after acceptances/WL roll out?

Has anyone who has been accepted received an email yet? Thought I remembered hearing the admin caller say that I will be receiving an email with instructions and such
Acceptances start next month. You got the right thread?

under holistic review for over a month now but it feels like forever ago! :help:

lol been in holistic review for over 3 months, sigh

I've been complete for just about 2 months and I'm not even in holistic review yet? Is this something I should email them about? I'm interviewing at some good schools but it doesn't seem like Northwestern wants to give me the time of day

Reactions: 2 users
anyone get Feinberg MSTP II in the past few weeks?

Seems like NW hasn't sent out MSTP interview invites in a while. Maybe they're one of those schools that fills all of their interview spots up quickly instead of sending invites out gradually thru the cycle :\

Seems like NW hasn't sent out MSTP interview invites in a while. Maybe they're one of those schools that fills all of their interview spots up quickly instead of sending invites out gradually thru the cycle :\
NU has dates all the way into February. Maybe they just send them in batches? Based on the physician scientist thread, they sent IIs on 8/14 to people who submitted in early July, IIs on 8/28 to those who submitted in early August, a II to someone who submitted in July on 9/11, and IIs to people who were complete in early September on 9/25. So they have a turnaround of 2-3 weeks.
I guess the best way to know is to call.
On the portal
An interview invitation could be extended to you at anytime from August 2018 through January 2019.

Last edited:
Anyone complete end of August not in holistic review? Is there a method?

Not sure if this has been said but at my recent interview they said they still have half of their interviews to send out!

Reactions: 12 users
when should be expect to hear back? is it a set date or based on the interview time
They told us we'd hear back late November (interviewed last week). This is what the portal says: "In 6-8 weeks you will be notified whether you have been accepted or whether the decision will be deferred until after the completion of our interview season."

Congrats! And yay, they're still sending them out. I hope I have a chance :( , my fee didn't go through and I didn't realize until 9/30 >.<
I had to ask for another date because the date they provided me in December conflicted with another interview. They let me sign up for the January date, which they haven't open up yet, so there are still some II to be sent out!

Based on mdapplicants profiles from former international mstp applicants, it seems that they will usually max. take 1 international student. Makes me sad knowing that we are all competing were approx. 1 spot at all of these schools :(. At Northwestern MSTP I was complete 2 months before my fiancee who has weaker research, ECs and stats than me but she is US citizen so evidence right there of the disadvantage we have as non-US citizens.
Yes, it's very unfortunate. We cannot help our country of birth or citizenship, at least not at this age. Rationally, I understand why the NIH does not want to pay for foreign students, but the US makes immigration, even for the talented, difficult, so even those who want to stay and contribute don't get much of a shot. I've been waiting for my green card since 2006 and have spent most of my life in the US. :/

does NW send out pre-II rejections and if so, when? I'm still in the "holistic review" category for god knows how long ... what does this mean? its a long shot but i just want to know if i even have a chance here

Anyone else having trouble loading the portal? My browser tried loading it for a few minutes, then just produced a white screen with, "The service is unavailable." Tried different browsers and got the same result.

EDIT: It just came back and is working now!

II a week after sending an update! :love:

may I ask what type of update you sent?

I sent a general update with more details about what I'm doing my gap year (and also tying my activities and interests to what I like about Northwestern)