2018-2019 The Commonwealth Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deferred.

Both student and faculty interview went really well but guess I didn’t quite make the cut.
I got deferred after interviewing in September! Don’t loose hope yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today as well, interviewed 10/29!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else lose access to the "Pre-Matriculation" tab after accepting the offer?

Did anyone else lose access to the "Pre-Matriculation" tab after accepting the offer?
Yeah I called about it like a psycho, it was a glitch to let us see it this early. I had filled out the roommate form already

Just got accepted to my state MD school so will be canceling my Jan 7 interview. Hope it goes to one of you!

Does anyone have a guess of when November 7 interviewees will hear back? Congrats to everyone who heard back already!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my acceptance for another school. Looks like Geisinger's gonna get put on probation.

Withdrew my acceptance for another school. Looks like Geisinger's gonna get put on probation.
I can't find any information about this. Do you have sources or more information? I was planning to apply here for the 2020 cycle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Not an accepted student but saddened Dr Feinberg left for the greener ($$) pastures of Google. Not entirely sure of his TCMC role but I think his leadership was already helping Geisinger & students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain the probation thing and what affect that will have for incoming class?

Current M2 here. Really bummed about this but can confirm that a bulletin was sent out. The issues resulting in this status change seem to have been unhinging some things as we've noticed. I'm really hesitant to say anymore about this though

Current M2 here. Really bummed about this but can confirm that a bulletin was sent out. The issues resulting in this status change seem to have been unhinging some things as we've noticed. I'm really hesitant to say anymore about this though

Lovely :(

can someone elaborate how this will this affect the incoming students?? Thanks!

can someone elaborate how this will this affect the incoming students?? Thanks!
This is much needed,

Sincerely someone who’s only acceptance is geisinger

are you able to elaborate on the reasons for probation?

If I pay the $100 enrollment deposit, can I still accept other institutions admissions?

Withdrawing my acceptance, hope it goes to someone who really wants it!

@Goro @LizzyM

Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum could chime in about GCSOM going on probation and what that might mean for incoming students.

LCME is the accrediting body for allopathic medical schools. When a school has a self-study and site visit for re-accreditation, LCME may identify issues that need to be rectified. Probation gets the undivided attention of the Dean, President, Provost, Board of Trustees (the people who really hold the purse strings) that things need to change, no ifs, ands or buts.

The problem should be addressed and the probation lifted. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 7 users
Not just because I am an accepted student, but probation in general is often times a dumb matter that is related to not meeting very strict LCME rules. It often is fixed within months to maintain status. Although I couldn’t find any proof of anything remotely speaking of probation online, I really doubt it will matter anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truth.

I know "probation" is a very, very scary word to pre-meds and students, but it is NOT a synonym for "about the be shut down".

if anyone can get a copy of the probation citations (@Med Ed)?, then LizzyM and I can walk you through them. SLU was cited recently and most of their failing was in paperwork issues, ie, failing to document what they were doing.

Reactions: 2 users
Truth.

I know "probation" is a very, very scary word to pre-meds and students, but it is NOT a synonym for "about the be shut down".

if anyone can get a copy of the probation citations (@Med Ed)?, then LizzyM and I can walk you through them. SLU was cited recently and most of their failing was in paperwork issues, ie, failing to document what they were doing.
Bless
I think I gave myself an ulcer from reading into this too much

Adding to the head count, accepted. Interviewed 10/29.

LCME is the accrediting body for allopathic medical schools. When a school has a self-study and site visit for re-accreditation, LCME may identify issues that need to be rectified. Probation gets the undivided attention of the Dean, President, Provost, Board of Trustees (the people who really hold the purse strings) that things need to change, no ifs, ands or buts.

The problem should be addressed and the probation lifted. I wouldn't worry about it.

Truth.

THANK YOU <3 This is so very reassuring to hear.

I called the admissions office and the lady whom I spoke with, Amanda I believe her name was, said GCSOM is not being put on probation, and that there was no bulletin posted with any indication of probation. It was the first she heard of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Until I see sources, I'm sceptical.

Maybe it was old news pre-Geisinger buying them

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. Long story short, I work in the advising office at my school in Scranton and this whole thing has actually been a topic of conversation and has caused somewhat of a ruckus. Take that as you will. Regardless of what happens, I'm going to steer clear of gcsom and sadly leave my hometown.

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. Long story short, I work in the advising office at my school in Scranton and this whole thing has actually been a topic of conversation and has caused somewhat of a ruckus. Take that as you will. Regardless of what happens, I'm going to steer clear of gcsom and sadly leave my hometown.
What exactly is going on?

Can you guys stop being vague and provide more details on what is going on? Right now you're hurting more than helping.
Still skeptical until details are provided.

As a side note, isn't there a probation office we can call to find out for certain? Who issues probationary status anyways?
I'll call them if someone can provide the number.

notice all these members joined today, in very skeptical and frankly assuming someone is making these posts to get people to withdraw

Can you guys stop being vague and provide more details on what is going on? Right now you're hurting more than helping.
Still skeptical until details are provided.

As a side note, isn't there a probation office we can call to find out for certain? Who issues probationary status anyways?
I'll call them if someone can provide the number.

Hey I mean this is an online forum. Maybe the knowledge of certain details may compromise an individual's identity? Especially b/c this doesn't seem to be something that's released yet if true. Speaking of which, if that's a picture of you I would change it.

notice all these members joined today, in very skeptical and frankly assuming someone is making these posts to get people to withdraw

Says the person whose account was made yesterday. Sorry, chuckled a bit at that. But maybe it's true, maybe it's not. You just have to roll with it until something is either proven or disproven. Perhaps look at all of this as just information on the table.

If I'm reading correctly, your posts show you're withdrawing your MD acceptance to pursue PT. Surely there's more to that decision than this seemingly minor kerfuffle.

If I'm reading correctly, your posts show you're withdrawing your MD acceptance to pursue PT. Surely there's more to that decision than this seemingly minor kerfuffle.

Just took a look, I don't think there was one in PT unless I'm looking at it incorrectly