2018-2019 Tufts University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who has interviewed, what’s it like? Any helpful tips? I’m interviewing February 5th so pretty soon.
Casual standard open file 1 on 1 interview (2 separate interviews). They ask about your application, and mix in a few tougher questions, like a challenge you faced etc. You receive a short biography about your interviewers at beginning of day, so you will know something about them and I think it makes the interview less intimidating. My advice would be know your application and know how to answer the typical med school interview questions. Otherwise relax, I was rather casual, (but still professional) in my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing this month for the Maine Track. I'm confused - reading through, it seems like only 1 or 2 people have been accepted for the track this year! Do you think they just defer everyone and make a decision in March? I guess with only 40 spots it's possible that people just haven't been posting their acceptances.

Interviewing this month for the Maine Track. I'm confused - reading through, it seems like only 1 or 2 people have been accepted for the track this year! Do you think they just defer everyone and make a decision in March? I guess with only 40 spots it's possible that people just haven't been posting their acceptances.
The million dollar question. Wish I knew the answer!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I wanted to submit a new letter of recommendation, specifically to Tufts Maine Track, what would be the best way to do that? Sorry, I'm sure this is an obvious question.

I was just thinking about my interview a little while ago and I remembered my second interviewer asked me what I would do if I wasn't accepted anywhere. I gave him my little talk about what I would do for a gap year or so but then I asked him what he thought I could do to improve my app if I had to apply again. I was just thinking about how glad I am to have that advice so, maybe get your interviewer to look at your app from that perspective if you are yet to interview anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Does any part of the interview day involve us having to go outside?

Well I guess I’m just going to have to tough the cold out in heels because I’m boarding my plane :))

Well I guess I’m just going to have to tough the cold out in heels because I’m boarding my plane :))
You're only outside for a minute so should be ok!
For anyone who has interviewed, what’s it like? Any helpful tips? I’m interviewing February 5th so pretty soon.
I felt like my faculty interview was pretty intense actually. I received difficult questions diving into my past, personal experiences, and anything they perceived as a flaw in my application. I was pretty caught off guard at first, but my interviewer engaged after I answered at least. Others on my interview day had similar experiences. I received an acceptance call 2 weeks later. My student interview was the exact opposite: low stress, straightforward, easy. For the faculty interview, I would say be ready for probing questions, and do not be thrown by them -- seems like they just want to see if you can keep your cool and tactfully discuss sensitive topics about yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If I wanted to submit a new letter of recommendation, specifically to Tufts Maine Track, what would be the best way to do that? Sorry, I'm sure this is an obvious question.
I think you can just submit the LOR to AMCAS and then email Tufts and let them know you've sent in an additional LOR

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get instructions on submitting a tuition deposit yet? My offer letter said this would happen in January but haven't heard anything.

Did anyone get instructions on submitting a tuition deposit yet? My offer letter said this would happen in January but haven't heard anything.
I was wondering the same...haven't heard anything about that or 2nd look yet. Needa purchase those tix tho before it gets too $$$

I was just told the next admissions committee meeting will be Feb. 12. I was told by someone on the committee that and to expect word (to include deference) within a week following.
What do you mean by including deference? Do you think they’ll be looking more closely at the deferred applicants list or more looking at recent interviews still?

Welp. Update with 4 ortho pubs (3 first authors) and maintaining 4.0 didn’t work.

Got that R just now :-( good luck to everyone still interviewing and waiting! It’s been a fun ride

Pre-II R. Good luck to the rest.

Pre-II R, grateful for the closure lol. Good luck guys

For those who were rejected, what time did the email get sent? Just trying to see if they are sending them out throughout the day, or in a batch. Thanks!

Also received the pre-II R today around 10:45 EST

Oh my god why in the hell am I still standing, let me come home to Boston or let me go, Tufts! There can't be any interview seats left...

Oh my god why in the hell am I still standing, let me come home to Boston or let me go, Tufts! There can't be any interview seats left...
sorry, I feel for ya. This whole application process is crazy and long

+1, minus the coming home to Boston. But I can't believe I haven't gotten the R

Don’t have one (yet) but sure mine is coming in the mail soon enough. It’s not like they are still sending invites out or anything.

This is probably one of the (if not the) final rejection waves of the season?

Don’t have one (yet) but sure mine is coming in the mail soon enough. It’s not like they are still sending invites out or anything.

This is probably one of the (if not the) final rejection waves of the season?
They are still sending out IIs. March 5 is still available.

They are still sending out IIs. March 5 is still available.

I saw that but I was being more general in assuming that the VAST majority of interviews have already been sent out and the ones “remaining” are probably cancellations more than anything. Not trying to get my own hopes up at this stage lol.

Rejected Pre-II via e-mail. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Pre II R. Completed mid September

Dang! Thought I was safe but just got the R. Complete 8/1

Welp. Update with 4 ortho pubs (3 first authors) and maintaining 4.0 didn’t work.

Got that R just now :-( good luck to everyone still interviewing and waiting! It’s been a fun ride

Jesus dude. I'm sure some school will appreciate that update.

How many people are still radio silence? Any idea how many people they are planning on interviewing March 5/odds those haven’t heard back are getting hag interview?

How many people are still radio silence? Any idea how many people they are planning on interviewing March 5/odds those haven’t heard back are getting hag interview?

There were roughly 20 people at my interview day so I’d say about that many for March 5. Others may cancel for dates in Feb before then though!

Radio silence for me.

Not sure how I survived today’s R wave, but I’m glad I did! This is my top choice.

Fingers crossed for any possible remaining II’s for those of us on the silence squad

Reactions: 6 users
So I sent an update to the portal on Sunday night and haven’t gotten any confirmation or notice that it’s been received. Is that bad?

So I sent an update to the portal on Sunday night and haven’t gotten any confirmation or notice that it’s been received. Is that bad?

I didn’t get any kind of confirmation either when I sent an update. But when I called, they said that’s normal and that it was received! They’re very friendly if you’re thinking of calling to confirm.

When I sent my update, I didn't receive confirmation of receipt either. I called to just make sure they got it and they did.

How many interview dates are in feb?
I'm not sure right now since most seem to be booked at this point -- some keep opening up and closing. When I scheduled my interview a month ago, I believe there were spots available for Feb 5, 7, 14, 21, 26, 28. I think they hold them nearly every Tuesday and Thursday though so there may be more that I couldn't see.