2018-2019 Tulane University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not a med student yet, but I know MD/MPH students have to take classes the summer before. Also, most would say to relax over the summer and don't do any studying before - it probably won't help too much (at least that's what I've heard).

Wanting to see if M1/M2 can answer your question as well, especially about the research opportunities!

My student host didn’t start MD/MPH until after his anatomy block. You can start classes the summer before, but he didn’t and he said he felt most didn’t. That being said, he said it pretty much determines the summer between MS1/2 as then you have to take summer classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any research opportunities in the summer before mateiculation? In addition does Tulane offer any programs that teach during the summer to help any matriculating students that may feel behind? Any M1-M2 with insight would be greatly appreciated!

Not a med student yet, but I know MD/MPH students have to take classes the summer before. Also, most would say to relax over the summer and don't do any studying before - it probably won't help too much (at least that's what I've heard).

Wanting to see if M1/M2 can answer your question as well, especially about the research opportunities!

During my II, the students said that there’s a bunch of research going on throughout the year and into the summer. There’s a research program (don’t remember the name) that will pay you to stay and do research over the summer. They have great cancer and gene institutes that a lot of students do research in. Plus they said you can write up some case reports for residents for some quick pubs

During my II, the students said that there’s a bunch of research going on throughout the year and into the summer. There’s a research program (don’t remember the name) that will pay you to stay and do research over the summer. They have great cancer and gene institutes that a lot of students do research in. Plus they said you can write up some case reports for residents for some quick pubs
Are you talking about the DeBakey Scholars Program? - I thought that one was only for current medical students.

Edit: DeBakey Scholars Program | medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that if you want to finish MD/MPH in four years, you have to take classes the summer prior, but most opt for five years!

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any research opportunities in the summer before mateiculation? In addition does Tulane offer any programs that teach during the summer to help any matriculating students that may feel behind? Any M1-M2 with insight would be greatly appreciated!
I am certain there is a biochem class that matriculating students can take as a refresher (it may even be online!). Perhaps it is this one: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Remedial Medical Biochemistry | medicine

I would suggest contacting that department if you are interested because they have many programs listed and I can't say for sure which is the correct one. Tulane faculty is generally very helpful. :)

Also I agree with the MD/MPH sentiment above; you can begin those classes in the summer if you want to have the best chance at completing the MPH concurrently with your medical school graduation date. This may also be true of the MD/MBA?

Can someone mention if there will be acceptances given out to those who interviewed the last week of october? Thanks

Can someone mention if there will be acceptances given out to those who interviewed the last week of october? Thanks
All you could know is day-of if any decisions will go out if @Gem91 tells us anything. I'm waiting on decisions for early November so I'm right there with you. Just gotta sit tight

Members don't see this ad :)
A little late but I received an II the week of thanksgiving after being on hold! I love what Tulane stands for and have so many friends who are med students there and family in New Orleans so it is such a blessing! To those who are curious, I did send a couple of updates expressing my interest!

Congrats on the II!! For some reason I can't PM you but could you tell me about the nature/format of your updates and how you expressed interest? Also did you just email the admissions office or update on your portal?

Congrats on the II!! For some reason I can't PM you but could you tell me about the nature/format of your updates and how you expressed interest? Also did you just email the admissions office or update on your portal?

Hey! I will PM you :)

Really like this school, but the COA is so damn high! Those who will be paying it all by loans, how do you feel about it? It’s making me super anxious just thinking about being in 400k+ in debt. Praying for some grants or scholarships...

I hear you.

First thing is that if you got into a cheaper school, you could always ask the financial aid office at Tulane if they can match the offer. So while the sticker price is 400k+ for now, that number could change. You don't know how much financial aid you will get yet!

The debt load is manageable. How you manage is ultimately a personal decision, but you can always moonlight during residency, do locum tenens, accept a more rural job with loan forgiveness in your contract, etc.

A physician's income is mostly limited by taxes and how many hours you are willing to work. Oh, and burnout.

For me, personally, I am justifying that medicine is a lifelong journey, and I want to avoid burnout. Part of avoiding burnout is having a life outside of medicine, and I think New Orleans offers a lot that appeals to my personal interests. You can't put a price on happiness and mental well-being.

I am interested in pediatrics, which is not exactly known for being a money-maker (although there are fellowships!), and I'm not very worried about the debt. So n=1, but that's how I'm thinking about things.

Edit: Also interested in the Debakey Scholars Program. Mentorship and networking is so important in research.

Reactions: 2 users
I hear you.

First thing is that if you got into a cheaper school, you could always ask the financial aid office at Tulane if they can match the offer. So while the sticker price is 400k+ for now, that number could change. You don't know how much financial aid you will get yet!

I’m not sure they would ever match the tuition of my state school that’s almost 200k cheaper. I would love to go to school here but it’s so hard to justify this choice since I have cheaper options

I’m not sure they would ever match the tuition of my state school that’s almost 200k cheaper. I would love to go to school here but it’s so hard to justify this choice since I have cheaper options

I think it depends on each applicant, but I know during my interview day the medical students who presented to us said they did know people with significant financial aid packages where it covered most of their tuition. I believe there are also merit scholarships that you can automatically qualify for. In general, Tulane seems to be very helpful so I think if the cost would interfere with you attending even after you receive your financial aid package you could probably call and ask about advice on financing your tuition or anything else you could do. Good luck!

Interviewing here in February. It was the earliest date I could schedule at the time, but wondering if I should contact admissions to see if any earlier dates opened up. Do you guys think this is a good idea? February seems pretty late in the cycle for interviews here since many have already interviewed and are awaiting decisions...

Interviewing here in February. It was the earliest date I could schedule at the time, but wondering if I should contact admissions to see if any earlier dates opened up. Do you guys think this is a good idea? February seems pretty late in the cycle for interviews here since many have already interviewed and are awaiting decisions...

My student host interviewed here in February (during Mardi Gras) and got in, it’s never too late.

is it bad if i keep editing my letter and updating it to the portal. i only uploaded one update letter, but i keep editing it and reuploading it, im not sure if the committee gets a notification everytime i do, i dont want to annoy them.
I'm sure you'll be fine - just don't be too excessive with it.

Any idea when students placed in “acceptable range” can expect to start hearing back?

Any idea when students placed in “acceptable range” can expect to start hearing back?

Weightlist movement (in the past) mostly happens after April 30th however with the new traffic rules it could happen early like February-ish

R pre-II today (Complete 19 Nov), LM 71, with an MSc
Canadian international student...thinking that might be a big part of this :/

R pre-II today (Complete 19 Nov), LM 71, with an MSc
Canadian international student...thinking that might be a big part of this :/
I don't understand. Don't they accept international students? And the school hasn't given out II (atleast from what I see on sdn) for a long time, month+. I'm beginning to think that they are full and just waiting for people to withdraw.

I don't understand. Don't they accept international students? And the school hasn't given out II (atleast from what I see on sdn) for a long time, month+. I'm beginning to think that they are full and just waiting for people to withdraw.

I think it’s even more competitive for international students because they only take in a few of them

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah hey do take international students. I know some that go to Tulane. I also got an II and I'm international.

Can any current medical students share their thoughts on where to look to rent apartments/houses? Safest areas/relatively quiet for studying but close enough to go out easily. Also within amount 15-20min max of the school. Been looking at lakeshore-lake vista, gentilly, and Filmore areas.

Does Tulane really like letters of interest/updates from their waitlisted applicants? I feel like I’ve heard that they do

Can any current medical students share their thoughts on where to look to rent apartments/houses? Safest areas/relatively quiet for studying but close enough to go out easily. Also within amount 15-20min max of the school. Been looking at lakeshore-lake vista, gentilly, and Filmore areas.

I’m not a current medical student, but I know a lot of the med students live in Soleil apartments in the Lower Garden District. I think the Lower Garden District is probably the best bet in regards of safety and distance. It’s about 10-15 min away from Tulane Med. Some people prefer to live Uptown as well which is about 15-20 min away but it’s going to be pricier. There’s also a Facebook group called Tulane Classifieds where students post about availability of houses/apartments or looking for roommates. There are both undergraduate and graduate individuals in the group and not everyone in the group is associated with Tulane despite the name. Hope this is helpful! :)

Most of us live somewhere together Uptown, Broadmoor, Freret, or Midcity. Tulane also offers student apartment housing connected to the hospital/across the street from school. It gets boring but it's stupid convenient.

I’m not a current medical student, but I know a lot of the med students live in Soleil apartments in the Lower Garden District. I think the Lower Garden District is probably the best bet in regards of safety and distance. It’s about 10-15 min away from Tulane Med. Some people prefer to live Uptown as well which is about 15-20 min away but it’s going to be pricier. There’s also a Facebook group called Tulane Classifieds where students post about availability of houses/apartments or looking for roommates. There are both undergraduate and graduate individuals in the group and not everyone in the group is associated with Tulane despite the name. Hope this is helpful! :)

Saulet* :^) dumb city and your silent letters

Tulane also offers student apartment housing connected to the hospital/across the street from school. It gets boring but it's stupid convenient.
Does student housing have private kitchens or shared kitchens? And would you happen to know if there are private or shares washers/dryers located in student housing?

Does student housing have private kitchens or shared kitchens? And would you happen to know if there are private or shares washers/dryers located in student housing?
Hey! I think Austinerino may be referring to Deming Pavillion - check it out!

For everyone waiting to hear post-II, I callef admissions today and asked when we could expect to hear back. I was told they are trying to get the decisions out before the break. Winter break starts Dec 21 for Tulane so should be in the next week to week and a half