2018-2019 University of Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were any acceptances sent out today?
I interviewed for PMAP on Feb 15 and heard back nothing either way today. I am guessing next Friday will be the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on Feb 1st and had not hear back at all. Did anyone also interviewed on Feb 1st hear anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder why we haven't gotten emails the past two weeks? :(:dead:

Reactions: 1 users
No call, no email...just nightmares and anxiety:(

I just got this email: “Although you have not been selected at this time, you remain an active candidate in our applicant pool. This is not a rejection letter. You will remain eligible for an acceptance at any time during the season.”

Reactions: 2 users
Got a deferral email for pmap right now. I’m confused because I figured it would be a yes or no today. I didn’t think they would do multiple rounds of acceptances for pmap because it’s such a small class.

I just got this email: “Although you have not been selected at this time, you remain an active candidate in our applicant pool. This is not a rejection letter. You will remain eligible for an acceptance at any time during the season.”
Maybe this was for many people?

Got a deferral email for pmap right now. I’m confused because I figured it would be a yes or no today. I didn’t think they would do multiple rounds of acceptances for pmap because it’s such a small class.
Was that a deferral? Or waitlist? I’m so confused. I also interviewed for PMAP.

Was that a deferral? Or waitlist? I’m so confused. I also interviewed for PMAP.
Not sure what to call it! That email seems normal for the regular MD class but for ya I have no idea. Doesn’t seem like any other pmap people are on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what to call it! That email seems normal for the regular MD class but for ya I have no idea. Doesn’t seem like any other pmap people are on here.
Maybe they’re still finalizing the regular MD class!

Maybe they’re still finalizing the regular MD class!
Yea no idea, maybe they have just sent that out as a way of saying that they aren’t finished deciding on us yet. From earlier posts it looked like they were a little behind on the turn around time.

+1. This my second time. It's no R so we still in the consideration pool!

Anyone accepted today for regular MD or PMAP?

Deferral here as well. Interviewed Feb 1st for MD. Anyone from Feb 1st get accepted today?!

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO PMAP!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Ok so I got rejected from PMAP but still being considered for normal MD. So weird! Congrats to those accepted and good luck those in my same position.

Last edited:
Ok so I got rejected from PMAP but still being considered for normal MD. So weird! Congrats to those accepted and good luck those in my same position.
+1

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO PMAP!!!!
Congrats!! I've heard many great things about the PMAP program. What are your stats/LM if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you, I’m so excited, and thankful to be accepted. I’m a non-traditional student. My GPA was 3.8 and MCAT was 498. I have 5 years of clinical experience working in an underserved hospital in Phoenix. I’m bilingual in Spanish and have a certification as an interpreter. I really stressed working with underserved patients. I also work in mental health, which I think made me stand out. Good luck everyone!!!
amazing congrats

How many in state people have interviewed and are on the waitlist? That’s where I currently am and wondering chances of getting in

How many in state people have interviewed and are on the waitlist? That’s where I currently am and wondering chances of getting in
im IS and have been deferred since December

im IS and have been deferred since December

Same here, IS (and living in Tucson) and deferred since December. Really hoping for some good news, absolutely fell in love with this program. Good luck to you all!

Deferral here as well. Interviewed Feb 1st for MD. Anyone from Feb 1st get accepted today?!

I interviewed on Feb 1st as well but I did not get any update. No deferral or anything. Not sure if they forgot to send the email to the people in the next page of the list or if I'm still under review.

So is there a concensus about when we should be hearing back about waitlists and rejections? I assume most, if not all, acceptances have been sent out at this point.

So is there a concensus about when we should be hearing back about waitlists and rejections? I assume most, if not all, acceptances have been sent out at this point.
Yeah, I believe so. I think at this point they are just finalizing who they will keep on their waitlist and preparing to send the R's post-interview.

ACCEPTED!!!
Interviewed Feb 1st
IS, Reapplicant

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Officially rejected, interviewed in December. Congratulations to everyone accepted! Sad to have to leave Tucson

Post II R, IS, interviewed Feb 1st. Congrats to all who have been accepted!

Welp, just got wait listed...

Anyone have any idea about the probability of getting off the wait list and getting an acceptance.

Last edited:
Congratulations! How did you improve your application?

My weakness was not being able to translate my experiences and motivation for medicine into my application. I took a gap year to improve my MCAT score, gain more clinical and research experience, and learn more about the field of medicine and healthcare. I attended talks, read books, read articles, and listened to podcasts. These things painted a better picture of medicine for me and where I would fit in.

My take on the application:
- Understand UACOM-T and its mission. Learn about the demographic of Tucson, the school (e.g. research rankings and focuses), and school's partners (e.g. Banner).
- Before writing, think about your strengths and come up with a theme for your application (research focus, clinical focus, working with underserved, rural population, etc.). This was the hardest part for me. I had to talk to several people including members of the Diversity and Inclusion Center to learn about myself and put together pieces of me that I was not aware of.
- List of Experiences: do not waste the space to write only about what you have done for that particular experience. Also write what you learned about it and how it affected you and your career in medicine. I was able to sell myself more through this section.
- Interview: when people said to talk and ask medical students about their point of view in the curriculum and school, DO IT! Current medical students are the only one who are going through what you will be, and you want to show that you, too, fit in the curriculum and community. I actually gained some insights that helped me with my interview.
- Take your time on the application. Do not rush or you will be wasting time waiting for the next cycle to apply again. I actually was going to submit my application on June 1st, but my personal statement was not where I wanted it to be. I did not submit my primary until August. While waiting for the secondary application, I started answering the questions. In total, I spent 6 months writing and preparing my application and interview.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users
My weakness was not being able to translate my experiences and motivation for medicine into my application. I took a gap year to improve my MCAT score, gain more clinical and research experience, and learn more about the field of medicine and healthcare. I attended talks, read books, read articles, and listened to podcasts. These things painted a better picture of medicine for me and where I would fit in.

My take on the application:
- Understand UACOM-T and its mission. Learn about the demographic of Tucson, the school (e.g. research rankings and focuses), and school's partners (e.g. Banner).
- Before writing, think about your strengths and come up with a theme for your application (research focus, clinical focus, working with underserved, rural population, etc.). This was the hardest part for me. I had to talk to several people including members of the Diversity and Inclusion Center to learn about myself and put together pieces of me that I was not aware of.
- List of Experiences: do not waste the space to write only about what you have done for that particular experience. Also write what you learned about it and how it affected you and your career in medicine. I was able to sell myself more through this section.
- Interview: when people said to talk and ask medical students about their point of view in the curriculum and school, DO IT! Current medical students are the only one who are going through what you will be, and you want to show that you, too, fit in the curriculum and community. I actually gained some insights that helped me with my interview.
- Take your time on the application. Do not rush or you will be wasting time waiting for the next cycle to apply again. I actually was going to submit my application on June 1st, but my personal statement was not where I wanted it to be. I did not submit my primary until August. While waiting for the secondary application, I started answering the questions. In total, I spent 6 months writing and preparing my application and interview.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much that helps a lot! Congratulations again and good luck in medical school.

I think the official UA account said they would be pulling more from the WL than last...

Just withdrew my acceptance from here! Hopefully it goes to one of you on the WL :)