2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive an email saying "There has been an update to the status page link. Please use the link below and your login credentials to check the status of your application."? I logged in and I couldn't find any status on my application...

It gave me a spook

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
They are just updating the link to part of the portal where you can access your status once it changes because the link that was included in the secondary email wasn't functional.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that email and say "update" and "status" together and I started freaking out. It is going to be a long cycle...

Reactions: 1 users
I got it too. If they knew that its just for a portal update, they shouldn't use the words "status" and "update" together, they're just playing with us at this point

Did anyone receive an email saying "There has been an update to the status page link. Please use the link below and your login credentials to check the status of your application."? I logged in and I couldn't find any status on my application...
me too.... so, what do we do? call them?

In the same boat about a status update. Could it mean they started reviewing the application?

Reactions: 1 user
Lol at first, I thought it was a rejection for being on the later end of the secondary submission deadline.

I told myself when beginning this cycle that I wasn't going to be the neurotic, freak-out premed everytime an email from a medical school came. Guess I was wrong.

Reactions: 3 users
They are just updating the link to part of the portal where you can access your status once it changes because the link that was included in the secondary email wasn't functional.

Is this a guess?

Lol at first, I thought it was a rejection for being on the later end of the secondary submission deadline.

I told myself when beginning this cycle that I wasn't going to be the neurotic, freak-out premed everytime an email from a medical school came. Guess I was wrong.
It's okay. We all fail sometimes;)

Does everyone have the "Verify Address" page after they've submitted? Do I have to do anything additional or just wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted right at the 14 day mark.

is it okay to abbreviate UNC School of Medicine as UNCSOM? Really need those extra characters

is it okay to abbreviate UNC School of Medicine as UNCSOM? Really need those extra characters

Lol just do UNC. Trust me, they won't care. As long as you aren't using anything that can be confused as other schools' initials, you will be fine.

FYI, in many of my secondary essays (especially ones with limited space), I didn't even add the "SOM." Just "UNC" or "UCSF" or etc.

Does anybody know when they started sending out II's last year?

Does everyone have the "Verify Address" page after they've submitted? Do I have to do anything additional or just wait?
UNC changed the verbiage now on the portal page for clarity:
"If you received a "non-resident" decision for tuition purposes and would like to apply for a reconsideration, or appeal of your determination, click the link below:"

UNC changed the verbiage now on the portal page for clarity:
"If you received a "non-resident" decision for tuition purposes and would like to apply for a reconsideration, or appeal of your determination, click the link below:"
Was this a status change for you and when did you submit? I don't have that but I'm definitely OOS

Was this a status change for you and when did you submit? I don't have that but I'm definitely OOS
I received notification via email of a "status change" (email below) on 7/30. I did not see any obvious change to my application page until yesterday 8/02 when the link regarding IS classification popped up. I submitted my secondary on 7/17 (7 days post-receipt) and my status still only lists that submission/fee payment on 7/17 under the "recent activities" on the page.

"Dear XXX,
There has been an update to the status page link. Please use the link below and your login credentials to check the status of your application.
(link to UNCSOM app status page)
Thank you,
Office of Admissions
UNC School of Medicine"

I received notification via email of a "status change" (email below) on 7/30. I did not see any obvious change to my application page until yesterday 8/02 when the link regarding IS classification popped up. I submitted my secondary on 7/17 (7 days post-receipt) and my status still only lists that submission/fee payment on 7/17 under the "recent activities" on the page.

"Dear XXX,
There has been an update to the status page link. Please use the link below and your login credentials to check the status of your application.
(link to UNCSOM app status page).
Thank you,
Office of Admissions
UNC School of Medicine"

Your "status change" email was one that everybody got that submitted secondaries. It isn't about a change in your application status. It is about a change in the application portal link.

It scared the **** out of everyone else, including myself. lol

"Dear XXX,
(link to UNCSOM app status page).
Thank you,
Office of Admissions
UNC School of Medicine"
Did you try to go for IS status? I haven't gotten this yet but I was complete on 7/19 with the payment

I am classified as IS according to RDS (UNC uses the RDS classification as the SOLE indicator of IS/OOS). I assume that all of these technicalities are just part of the portal system. We will hear from people when important updates are made I am sure!

Did you complete the RDS application prior to submitting your application? The only update I have seen to my page was with respect to that, but again, I do not think it is a true "update" - just that the link popped up later (for all applicants regardless of IS/OOS classification) giving you the ability to apply for a redetermination or appeal to RDS if you were classified as a "non-resident".

I am classified as IS according to RDS (UNC uses the RDS classification as the SOLE indicator of IS/OOS). I assume that all of these technicalities are just part of the portal system. We will hear from people when important updates are made I am sure!

Did you complete the RDS application prior to submitting your application? The only update I have seen to my page was with respect to that, but again, I do not think it is a true "update" - just that the link popped up later (for all applicants regardless of IS/OOS classification) giving you the ability to apply for a redetermination or appeal to RDS if you were classified as a "non-resident".
I'm not sure what this is because I'm not from IS

As someone that also went through the RDS system and received IS classification, I was wondering if there was anything else later on in the process to validate/confirm that? Obviously the system was pretty thorough in its questions but wondering if we will ever need to submit "proof" after an interview or something (not assuming anything but trying to be prepared for the worst case scenario).

Because as of right now, I am definitely IS status as per RDS but it is probably more of a grey-area in real life due to my physical location being away from NC. Though I do have everything official under North Carolina (DL, voter registration, etc).

FYI, I also have the link for nonresidents that want to appeal. Appears as though its on everyone's portal as an automatic thing.

As someone that also went through the RDS system for IS classification, I was wondering if there was anything else later on in the process to validate/confirm that? Obviously the system was pretty thorough in its questions but wondering if we will ever need to submit "proof" after an interview or something (not assuming anything but trying to be prepared for the worst case scenario).

Because as of right now, I am definitely IS status as per RDS but it is probably more of a grey-area in real life due to my physical location being away from NC. Though I do have everything official under North Carolina (DL, voter registration, etc).
I believe all is well. I read into it thoroughly yesterday on the RDS site. Also, on UNC's site, it is clear that the RDS classification is all that is considered for our "in" versus "out" classification. Especially with the update to the verbiage in the portal today which specifies if you were classified as a "non-resident" and want to make a change....
We should be contacted if anything further would need to be done on our parts, and if any supporting documentation would have been required by RDS to confirm your IS classification, it would have been indicated/listed at the end of the RDS interview online that you did. As long as you have access to the email address that is linked to your RDS account and can be contacted if anything is needed (and your status still is considering In-State on your RDS page), you should be fine.
If you hear anything else, however, please let me know! I will do the same.

Sorry haha I'm just confused is this something I wouldn't get because I'm 100% OOS?
Yes. RDS is the Residency Determining System platform which is used to give you a "number" which you report confirming your in-state classification. Nothing you have to worry about!

Yes. RDS is the Residency Determining System platform which is used to give you a "number" which you report confirming your in-state classification. Nothing you have to worry about!
Ok great!! Thank you! Good luck with the rest of your apps :)

I believe all is well. I read into it thoroughly yesterday on the RDS site. Also, on UNC's site, it is clear that the RDS classification is all that is considered for our "in" versus "out" classification. Especially with the update to the verbiage in the portal today which specifies if you were classified as a "non-resident" and want to make a change....
We should be contacted if anything further would need to be done on our parts, and if any supporting documentation would have been required by RDS to confirm your IS classification, it would have been indicated/listed at the end of the RDS interview online that you did. As long as you have access to the email address that is linked to your RDS account and can be contacted if anything is needed (and your status still is considering In-State on your RDS page), you should be fine.

Hmm yea that is exactly what I was thinking too. No point in having UNC and ECU have a whole RDS classification system to separate out IS and OOS (with options to appeal for those that wish) only to later ask for all the documentation and official stuff to confirm it themselves.

Though, I am probably just going to play it safe. I will just have to be cautious throughout the cycle to remain "officially" an NC resident on paper and not do anything to jeopardize that (though I really want to buy a car in a new state ughhh).

Hmm yea that is exactly what I was thinking too. No point in having UNC and ECU have a whole RDS classification system to separate out IS and OOS (with options to appeal for those that wish) only to later ask for all the documentation and official stuff to confirm it themselves.

Looks like I will just have to be cautious throughout the cycle to remain "officially" an NC resident on paper and not do anything to jeopardize that (though I really want to buy a car in a new state ughhh).
Are your parents in NC?

I spoke to Ms. Reid (Director of Admissions) on the phone about North Carolina residency. She said that UNC determines IS/OOS solely based what you indicate as your state of residence on AMCAS. The RDS number is used later on for determining tuition.

I spoke to Ms. Reid (Director of Admissions) on the phone about North Carolina residency. She said that UNC determines IS/OOS solely based what you indicate as your state of residence on AMCAS. The RDS number is used later on for determining tuition.
Fantastic, thank you!

For those who were verified after the first batch of primaries were sent to schools, how long did it take UNC to send you their secondary after your primary was sent to them?

For those who were verified after the first batch of primaries were sent to schools, how long did it take UNC to send you their secondary after your primary was sent to them?

Less than two business days :)

+1

I've told a few of you this but if you have a question don't hesitate to call the admissions office! Ms. Reid and her staff and fantastic and do not mind getting questions at all.

Brb while I check my email compulsively every morning for the whole month of August. UNC wya?

UNC doesn't send out interviews till early September lol just sit back and relax till then.

Reactions: 2 users