2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got II invite, submitted end of July.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
II, IS reapplicant, submitted end of July

Reactions: 1 user
II. Complete mid-July. LM 66-67. IS. First date is 9/24. Plenty of dates left in October

Members don't see this ad :)
Any ideas of what the short timed exercises could be?

I have the same question. I feel like they are MMIs, but it is not phrased that way.

I think they will be more so simulation lab type things

This is what the website says "You will also rotate through 5 short stations where you will get to see how students at UNC School of Medicine learn – through mentorship, group activities, simulated patient interactions, and preceptor feedback. The activities are all taken from actual UNC School of Medicine educational programs for you to experience what it would be like to be an actual student here at UNC."

I haven't done MMIs (no time to practice like your first interview of the cycle ;)), so I'm not sure how closely this seems to align with other people's experience with them. They do phrase it as if it is our opportunity to get to know the school, so it'll be interesting to see how much they are also trying to test us. Like do we just get to observe a simulated patient interaction, or are they going to be throwing us into one?

Reactions: 1 users
This is what the website says "You will also rotate through 5 short stations where you will get to see how students at UNC School of Medicine learn – through mentorship, group activities, simulated patient interactions, and preceptor feedback. The activities are all taken from actual UNC School of Medicine educational programs for you to experience what it would be like to be an actual student here at UNC."

I haven't done MMIs (no time to practice like your first interview of the cycle ;)), so I'm not sure how closely this seems to align with other people's experience with them. They do phrase it as if it is our opportunity to get to know the school, so it'll be interesting to see how much they are also trying to test us. Like do we just get to observe a simulated patient interaction, or are they going to be throwing us into one?

I wouldn't be surprised if they throw us into one to see how we might work on a team, since that's what it would be like as "an actual student at UNC". Lol. Sounds fun but scary too!

I submitted AMCAS to this school on 8/27 but still haven't received secondary app. Is there any problem? How long did you have to wait?

Has anyone that hasn't been invited to interview received updates about file status? My last update was three weeks ago confirming my payment waiver, but silence since then.

Has anyone that hasn't been invited to interview received updates about file status? My last update was three weeks ago confirming my payment waiver, but silence since then.

I submitted secondary back in July and have nothing on my status except for the payment confirmation. Even when my committee letter got released in August there was no change in my status.

Ugh, UNC GIVE ME SOME IS LOVE

Members don't see this ad :)
In state applicant and becoming neurotic that i haven't gotten an II here yet...and then noticed this on my app-- does everyone have this?? worried for some reason that my "in state residency determination" changed to be out of state for some reason. unless this has always been there and everyone else has it too? thanks in advance!!!!
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 3.38.21 PM.png

In state applicant and becoming neurotic that i haven't gotten an II here yet...and then noticed this on my app-- does everyone have this?? worried for some reason that my "in state residency determination" changed to be out of state for some reason. unless this has always been there and everyone else has it too? thanks in advance!!!!View attachment 239786
Mine says that too (im also in state)

If I was complete 7/30 does this mean they passed over my application for interview? LM 69 and IS. Getting neurotic!!!

If I was complete 7/30 does this mean they passed over my application for interview? LM 69 and IS. Getting neurotic!!!
it can take many months for people to get interviews, don't panic!

JUST GOT THE II!!!!! SO EXCITED LM77 IS complete date 7/19. Patience is truly a virtue!

Reactions: 3 users
BTW for anyone who's interested -

just called UNC office and they said that interviews starting at 11 AM will end around 4 PM, although the portal said they would conclude around 5 PM (so i guess just plan for that time frame). they do offer overnight hosts if you need!

Just got my first II. OOS LzM 73.

AYEEEE CONGRATS MAN! I see you on a bunch of the same threads and am glad to hear that you have started to get some love.

The first one is always a special one, and then you become consumed by greed and just want more and more and more LOL.

Yea Haha I have seen you around. I think its also good to see someone around the same treads with similar stats. Where was you're first II? Have you gone yet? I see you haven't gotten any R's so good luck on that front.

Edit; 35 SECONDARIES SWEET MOTHER MARY AND JOSEPH. how

Yea Haha I have seen you around. I think its also good to see someone around the same treads with similar stats. Where was you're first II? Have you gone yet? I see you haven't gotten any R's so good luck on that front.

Edit; 35 SECONDARIES SWEET MOTHER MARY AND JOSEPH. how

Lol, first things first: Yes, 35 secondaries. I know, I am crazy. From my reasoning, I had the money (well I assume I'll have all of it repaid by end of the year lol) and was willing to put in the time so why not apply to as many as I could to ensure the highest possibility of success? That being said, it was a pain in the ass to do 35 secondaries and I was going through hell in July (not to mention the few schools where I basically gave up on the secondaries lol).

My first (and currently only) II was at a NY state school back in August (OOS but have decent ties to the state). I am attending it in the next month or so, we'll see how it goes lol. Hoping for some interview love from my IS school UNC though, preferably before end of the year but that is looking less and less likely with each passing week lol. Luckily, no Rs yet (though I honestly consider most holds as basically a rejection lol).

Just received the II! IS. Complete mid-July

Hey guys! How long did it take y'all to receive a supplemental app?
Check your spam mailbox. It came to mine 3 days after submitting my AMCAS to this school, but I didn't recognize that it was in my spam mailbox until 2 weeks later.

Check your spam mailbox. It came to mine 3 days after submitting my AMCAS to this school, but I didn't recognize that it was in my spam mailbox until 2 weeks later.
Thanks! I did, but there's nothing there. Maybe they are a little backed up right now. Just gotta be patient I guess +pity+

So sounds like the interview is different this year than in years past. Only 1 one-on-one interview and 5 stations. Anyone have any thoughts on what the stations might be like? Based on the descriptions, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of patient simulation or team activity with other interviewees.

Got an II on the 18th and didn't see it until yesterday cause it went in my spam folder and I was trying not to be obsessive about checking my email :rolleyes: Signed up successfully though! LizzyM 74, in state. I submitted to AMCAS on July 31, got the secondary August 5th, turned in my secondary on August 11th. See y'all there! We got this.

Last edited:

UNC Medical Student here. The short experiences discussed are meant to be considered MMIs. However, there are still two traditional interview experiences. Hope to see many of you here next fall!

UNC Medical Student here. The short experiences discussed are meant to be considered MMIs. However, there are still two traditional interview experiences. Hope to see many of you here next fall!

Thank you for the insight! Would you be able to answer a couple more follow-up questions about interview day? I completely understand if you were told not to share any more specifics.

II today! Complete mid July. LM=69 and IS, ORM

Did you guys get a complete email from this school? I submitted 8/25 but never got a complete message

Did you guys get a complete email from this school? I submitted 8/25 but never got a complete message

Pretty sure that no one did.

All I (and pretty much everyone that has submitted their secondary and has been waiting) have in my portal is the payment received notice and nothing else.

Has anybody who was complete early-mid August at UNC received an II?

Pretty sure that no one did.

All I (and pretty much everyone that has submitted their secondary and has been waiting) have in my portal is the payment received notice and nothing else.

Has anybody who was complete early-mid August at UNC received an II?

My application was complete August 15th and I received an II on August 24th. I was pretty surprised by the fast turnaround.

My application was complete August 15th and I received an II on August 24th. I was pretty surprised by the fast turnaround.

Can I ask if you are IS or OOS?

Also, I know that if one has strong ties to UNC (current UG there, alumni association, parent legacy, etc) you typically get looked at earlier in the cycle than others (on average).

Can I ask if you are IS or OOS?

Also, I know that if one has strong ties to UNC (current UG there, alumni association, parent legacy, etc) you typically get looked at earlier in the cycle than others (on average).

I'm IS with no strong UNC ties

Does anyone know how many people they interview and how many offers they give? From MSAR it says 50% IS are interviewed, but a current student told me conflicting info (like 80%). I also know that 160 IS matriculate (also from MSAR), but how many offers do they give? AKA what if I get an interview and my chances after that?

Anyone have their interview on September 24? If so, any insights into the process and the new "5 short stations" would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have their interview on September 24? If so, any insights into the process and the new "5 short stations" would be greatly appreciated.

Confidentiality agreements so applicants are not to discuss the stations or interview at large. Good luck!

Thank you for the insight! Would you be able to answer a couple more follow-up questions about interview day? I completely understand if you were told not to share any more specifics.

We don't share specifics just to be fair to everyone. Rest assured that interview day is meant to be very relaxed. It is actually better organized now than when I went through it a couple years ago.

II just now! I’m shook (literally) because I am a reapplicant and didn’t get one last year. Was not expecting this.

Reactions: 4 users
II just now! I’m shook (literally) because I am a reapplicant and didn’t get one last year. Was not expecting this.
Just got one too! Yay! Congrats!!