2019-2020 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people flying in to Logan, what's the best way to get to campus? Is there a shuttle or do you just have to take an uber/lyft? Also, any cheap hotel recommendations? (couldn't get a student host) Thanks!

so there’s this random free airport bus that will drop you off in the middle of downtown. That’s what I took and then walked to my hotel. Boston people please help me out if this is still the case.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For people flying in to Logan, what's the best way to get to campus? Is there a shuttle or do you just have to take an uber/lyft? Also, any cheap hotel recommendations? (couldn't get a student host) Thanks!

If you're going straight from Logan to the school, it might be easiest to Uber/Lyft.

Alternatively, you can take the Logan Express bus (which is think is free) to Back Bay station and Uber/Lyft to the school from there, walk to the school (a little over a mile away from Back Bay), or walk to the bus station on St James Avenue and Dartmouth (about a block away from Back Bay). Take the 10 bus from St James Ave to the 91 E. Concord St stop, which is right by the campus.

Not a Boston resident (yet, fingers crossed about BU), but I spend a lot of time there. Hopefully these are accurate and efficient directions. Happy to be corrected if someone knows a faster route!

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now. Complete 9/13

Reactions: 7 users
I applied to BU 3 times. I was interviewed and waitlisted the first two. Held onto hope though, especially because I felt my app was improving. I was finally rejected without an interview the third cycle. This is really difficult. Best of luck to those still in the running.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I applied to BU 3 times. I was interviewed and waitlisted the first two. Held onto hope though, especially because I felt my app was improving. I was finally rejected without an interview the third cycle. This is really difficult. Best of luck to those still in the running.
I dk if it helps you in any way, but you are very inspiring! Wish you all the best!

Reactions: 4 users
I dk if it helps you in any way, but you are very inspiring! Wish you all the best!
Thank you. I should also mention that I completed the MAMS program in the past. I really like BUSM and still have a ton of respect for the school. I am just really sad this didn’t work out. Hope the rest of you have better luck. It’s clearly a difficult school to get in to. All the best.

Reactions: 7 users
Thoughts on mentioning a serious significant other (8 years) in my letter of intent to BUSM. She lives and works in Boston, we're currently long distance.

Thoughts on mentioning a serious significant other (8 years) in my letter of intent to BUSM. She lives and works in Boston, we're currently long distance.
Well, while it shows your interest in being in Boston, it doesn't show your potential as a physician. And it kind of may sound like begging.

Last edited:
I don’t see why you wouldn’t! It’s another reason that shows you would commit! Not everything is about showing your potential as a future physician, I feel like you have already done that a lot

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve read about people sending letters mentioning significant others and it working out for them! I say go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre - II R here this morning. Kinda bummed because I thought I might have a shot at a late interview. Good luck everyone!

• Sad
I would definitely mention it. It tells them you're much more likely to want to live in Boston.

Are you sending the LOI pre-II or post-II? Have you already gotten a deferral?

Hey guys, for those of you who got the email today, how should we have our supervisor send the email you think? Like give it to us and then we upload it? I highly doubt that.

Was wondering the same thing. I believe all LORs have to be submitted through AMCAS and are then available to the schools via download. Does anyone know otherwise?

I updated them through AMCAS back in November. Was a bit of a hassle since I originally had a committee packet so my supervisor had to start the AMCAS process from scratch. Once your supervisor submits, AMCAS sends you an email saying you need to add the letter to your app (there is a way to send it only to BU). My BU portal was updated 3 days after I added it to my application under the Supplemental elements>letters of recommendation tab.

I was a bit confused by the email since we were told that updates won’t do much until we get a decision. I don’t think I will send in anything

I was a bit confused by the email since we were told that updates won’t do much until we get a decision. I don’t think I will send in anything
I remember the exact same thing. The dean almost giggled and said “send em if you want i guess” kinda comment.

I didn't get the email you are all referring to, but I was accepted back in December. I had my supervisor update them because of this passage in one of their interview follow-up emails.

"If you wish to remain a candidate here at Boston University, we encourage you to keep our Committee on Admissions up to date on your activities and on any substantive changes since you submitted your initial application. In particular, if you are still in school, we would appreciate seeing a copy (unofficial is fine) of your academic record through the fall and if you are involved in employment, research, or other significant work that is new, we would like to receive a letter from your research mentor or supervisor. (REMINDER: All letters of recommendation must come through AMCAS.) It would be most helpful if we can have this information prior to mid November but, if that is not feasible, send it as soon as possible. We accept update letters and unofficial transcripts via the Upload and View Documents section of myApplication."

I also sent my own update letter highlighting a job promotion, paper submission, and additional volunteer work. Could be that the dean meant personal letters don't carry much weight. Not sure how much weight supervisor letters carry, but if anything it is showing continued interest. Unfortunate that they seem to be sending mixed messages.

I didn't get the email you are all referring to, but I was accepted back in December. I had my supervisor update them because of this passage in one of their interview follow-up emails.

"If you wish to remain a candidate here at Boston University, we encourage you to keep our Committee on Admissions up to date on your activities and on any substantive changes since you submitted your initial application. In particular, if you are still in school, we would appreciate seeing a copy (unofficial is fine) of your academic record through the fall and if you are involved in employment, research, or other significant work that is new, we would like to receive a letter from your research mentor or supervisor. (REMINDER: All letters of recommendation must come through AMCAS.) It would be most helpful if we can have this information prior to mid November but, if that is not feasible, send it as soon as possible. We accept update letters and unofficial transcripts via the Upload and View Documents section of myApplication."

I also sent my own update letter highlighting a job promotion, paper submission, and additional volunteer work. Could be that the dean meant personal letters don't carry much weight. Not sure how much weight supervisor letters carry, but if anything it is showing continued interest. Unfortunate that they seem to be sending mixed messages.
How did your supervisor update it? Via AMCAS? Can we still update letters in AMCAS?

I
I didn't get any email. Are the people who got it still awaiting II's? Also what did it say?
it was sent to those who have interviewed in December and 2020 I believe. Just an interview update reminding us that we’ll hear back in March and to keep them updated.

Reactions: 1 users
How did your supervisor update it? Via AMCAS? Can we still update letters in AMCAS?

I updated them through AMCAS back in November. Was a bit of a hassle since I originally had a committee packet so my supervisor had to start the AMCAS process from scratch. Once your supervisor submits, AMCAS sends you an email saying you need to add the letter to your app (there is a way to send it only to BU). My BU portal was updated 3 days after I added it to my application under the Supplemental elements>letters of recommendation tab.

My first post wasn't clear, my b. I had my supervisor update on AMCAS, I sent a personal update/continued interest letter through the portal. To have your supervisor update, you should be able to add a letter of eval on AMCAS, and then get the letter request form to give to your supervisor.

I remember the exact same thing. The dean almost giggled and said “send em if you want i guess” kinda comment.
Exactly!! I am thinking that they are asking for letters for significant NEW activities that someone started. I don’t think I will send anything, I will just wait for the decision since the dean made that clear during that day.

Pre II R! Good luck to everyone

• Sad
agreed that's what I understood too. don't think I will send anything either

I called and asked and they said the letter isn’t really necessary unless it’s a very important update.

Congrats! What dates were open for interviews? I heard they finish interviewing mid-Jan
I'm pretty sure they said 1/17 was the last interview date then they were going to review in March.

I'm currently deferred here until mid-March, but I'm wondering if I should submit my FAFSA now so that it's in before the Feb 1 priority deadline, even though they mentioned on interview day to not submit your financial aid docs until after acceptance?

I'm currently deferred here until mid-March, but I'm wondering if I should submit my FAFSA now so that it's in before the Feb 1 priority deadline, even though they mentioned on interview day to not submit your financial aid docs until after acceptance?
I submitted all mine. I interviewed in mid November and I won’t be hearing back until March but I’d rather have all my stuff in.

Heads up for people waiting for FA. I called last week because I was making sure everything I needed was in, and they said they should be releasing packages starting this week they hope!!

Reactions: 5 users
Wait by financial aid docs do you mean FAFSA?
You also need CSS, and when admitted there is a special FA portal where you need to submit pdf's of tax docs

Wait by financial aid docs do you mean FAFSA?
You also need CSS, and when admitted there is a special FA portal where you need to submit pdf's of tax docs
I submitted FAFSA and CSS. Also, the financial aid portal is available even if you haven’t been admitted. I was able to upload my W2 and tax statements as well as my parents’. I believe they don’t review your docs until you are admitted however.

I submitted FAFSA and CSS. Also, the financial aid portal is available even if you haven’t been admitted. I was able to upload my W2 and tax statements as well as my parents’. I believe they don’t review your docs until you are admitted however.
Ah ok, wasn't aware it is available pre-admittance!

For someone deferred in December, would a Letter of Intent now hold any weight? or should I wait to see if I am wait listed

If it matters, I am not currently in hold of an acceptance to a "better" school

For someone deferred in December, would a Letter of Intent now hold any weight? or should I wait to see if I am wait listed

If it matters, I am not currently in hold of an acceptance to a "better" school
I think the dean mentioned that letters of intent carry more weight after you receive an admissions decision. If you have any updates those should be sent before March since anything sent afterwards probably won't be reviewed when making a decision (since decisions come out in March)

Well I missed the priority deadline because I was under the impression not to fill out all the extra financial aid info until after acceptance...yikes

"Admitted applicants are encouraged to provide the required documentation for financial assistance before the February 1th Priority deadline"

This is the exact wording, so maybe we aren't supposed to provide the documentation until admitted

Yeah I agree, it would also have been included in the recent email