2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
2000 characters max each
Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now:

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Eastern Virginia Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about applying. This school looks really great from the website, and I think I'm qualified academically. However, every school has things that are really important to them, such as an interest in rural populations, community service, or an emphasis on research. I'm having a hard time really understanding what those qualities are for EVMS. I was wondering if someone might comment on these less calculable qualifications.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth applying here with 40 hours non-clinical volunteering and 100 hours clinical volunteering?

I know they value community service, and while I'll be founding a club this upcoming semester focused on community service, I know they do pre-secondary rejections so I may not even have a chance to talk about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about applying. This school looks really great from the website, and I think I'm qualified academically. However, every school has things that are really important to them, such as an interest in rural populations, community service, or an emphasis on research. I'm having a hard time really understanding what those qualities are for EVMS. I was wondering if someone might comment on these less calculable qualifications.

I'm from the area and previously interviewed here, and my understanding is that EVMS is very community focused and pretty research focused but not particularly focused on rural medicine.

Secondary Received!

With someone else's comment regarding pre-secondary rejections, I'm hoping they're staging their secondary invites as I haven't received one :/

With someone else's comment regarding pre-secondary rejections, I'm hoping they're staging their secondary invites as I haven't received one :/

It seems that most schools send them in waves, not all at once. Fwiw, I haven't gotten one from EVMS yet either, but I know that isn't because I've been screened out bc I'm a reapplicant and I got through their screen last year

How many people have not received the secondary yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Spoke to the admissions office ! They said they are working hard to get secondaries out ( they have to do each one manually) and they’ve received over 2400 primaries already. So don’t fret if u don’t have one.

Spoke to the admissions office ! They said they are working hard to get secondaries out ( they have to do each one manually) and they’ve received over 2400 primaries already. So don’t fret if u don’t have one.

I wonder if that’s more than they would usually get at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I don't think so. It just takes time, most schools send them in batches.

Did anyone get sent the secondary like four times in a row? They must really want me lol (I wish)

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone verify all the prompts are the same as last year? IE:

2018-2019
2000 characters max each
Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:
What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now:
Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS:

Am I missing something or can you not save your progress on the application? It seems like it has to be all done at one time.

Can any current students speak to the capstone project or concentration program? I saw that someone on a previous EVMS thread mentioned a scholarly concentration track of sorts, but haven't been able to find much about it on the website.

Anyone having any problems submitting their application? the "sumbit my responses and pay" button is grey and I can't click it even if I have answered every question

Anyone having any problems submitting their application? the "sumbit my responses and pay" button is grey and I can't click it even if I have answered every question
Some of the optionals you can't leave blank, you have to write "NA". Did you do that?

For anyone that has the secondary and has submitted, in years past for instate people a lady emailed you and you had to provide like proof of residency before you were marked complete. Is that happening this year too?

Huh, the timing on that IS email must vary because I submitted on 7/10 and haven’t received anything yet.

Did people use all 2000 characters? Seems like a lot

I used close to 2000 for 4 of them but only around 1000 for the other. It really is just a matter of getting across the point you are trying to make succinctly, they definitely won’t look down on an essay solely because you weren’t close to the 2000 mark

Does anyone know what type of response they are looking for with #4? Specifically, what does "describe yourself" mean?

Does anyone know what type of response they are looking for with #4? Specifically, what does "describe yourself" mean?
They are not looking for a specific answer. It is open ended for a reason! Extremely ambiguous question.

IS and submitted verified primary on 7/2 but haven’t heard anything back. Concerning or just neurotic?

When you all submitted your secondary did you get a confirmation email? Or you will only get an email if you are complete?