2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete 7/15
On hold 10/1

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
July 1st LMFAO :laugh:. And yeah good point about wanting to go there + the secondaries. Thanks for the input, and yeah would be great if anyone else could jump in
I think it really depends on your personal situation. If you have the monetary funds and the time to complete the secondary, I would go for it, because it can't hurt and it's a relatively short secondary (although fairly expensive). Having said that, I do think your chances of getting an interview are probably on the lower end since you are applying late and don't have super high stats to help balance that out. I'm not sure what the numbers for interviews look like, but GW tends to give out interviews pretty early, so I would be shocked if you could get one before the new year at this point in the cycle. GW (and most med schools) are really interested in why you want to attend their specific school, so if you have a special connection to GW or something that you can talk about throughout your secondary to really make you stand out as a great fit for GW, it's probably worth submitting the secondary. Otherwise, I might skip it and focus on other schools where you may have better odds.

Reactions: 3 users
July 1st LMFAO :laugh:. And yeah good point about wanting to go there + the secondaries. Thanks for the input, and yeah would be great if anyone else could jump in

I wouldn't recommend submitting a secondary, its probably going to be a money grab for them with your stats. That's not the issue however, the issue is your submitting so late, which could hurt you with lower than average stats=> no interview chances. But if you have a $100 laying around, you could spend it, up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still worth sending a secondary ?

Already confirmed primary but haven't gotten around to GW, near the bottom of my list as I dont think i have the best chances ahaha. Really would love to attend though. Canadian Medical school application system is non rolling and closed today so I was pretty caught up with that as well.

Im a Canadian, 507 MCAT/3.4 GPA, more than decent ECs, killer personal statement(according to me), decent research background still volunteering in the lab (Honors thesis + a publication expanding upon it and more findings is in progress)

Also I know about how low yield this school is just wondering in terms of spots still available + some general opinons
I dont think its worth the money. However, chances = 0 if you dont apply. How much greater is the chance if you do apply? Unknown but ultimately not high because low yield/international/10th% stats

On hold sometime last night, complete 8/10

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
On hold sometime last night, complete 8/10

+1, complete 8/8

Does everyone who doesn’t get an interview get put on hold for GW? I don’t think I’ve seen them reject people yet.

+1, complete 8/8

Does everyone who doesn’t get an interview get put on hold for GW? I don’t think I’ve seen them reject people yet.

Complete on 08/10. No update for anything....basically reject?

Complete on 08/10. No update for anything....basically they havent come to a conclusion or perhaps even looked at my application and im still in the running for an II/Hold?
Yep.

Hold as well :/ I really liked the idea of going to med school here maybe.

on hold o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O *sigh*
hold today :/
Hold as well :/ I really liked the idea of going to med school here maybe.
It's already been said but I'll say it again hold is not the same things as a soft R. Plenty of people in past cycles get put on hold and then get IIs later in the cycle. GW is one of the most applied to schools in the country so they have to seriously review all applications to decide who will get IIs. They can't spend weeks looking at only a handful of apps so they put them on 'hold' to come back to later. Treating hold as anything other than what it is (which is a hold on people looking at your app for now) does nothing but lower moral. This process is long, please try and stay positive.

Reactions: 10 users
Put on hold about a month and a half ago, file under review again now.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So is a no response (no hold/interview/R) from GW the same as a rejection? Complete since 8/22 and not a peep... anyone else in the same boat?

So is a no response (no hold/interview/R) from GW the same as a rejection? Complete since 8/22 and not a peep... anyone else in the same boat?
I didn't hear anything back for probably 6-7 weeks after submitting before getting placed on hold.

Placed on-hold within the past week. :( Pretty much a rejection, right?

Submitted 07/13

On hold today from portal no email. Complete and under review 8/14. LM 68. Staying positive but it seems like they put a lot of people on hold and being a low yield school chances of getting off hold seem low.

My interview is in 3 days and I'm super nervous and also super excited!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Portal status changed to "Your file is under review" a few days ago... Fingers crossed for some good news this week!

Complete 9/12, LM 74

Reactions: 7 users
My interview is in 3 days and I'm super nervous and also super excited!!!!
Good luck!!! Everyone is super chill youre gonna have a great time :)

I feel like a hold doesn’t mean anything here since everyone gets put on hold if not invited for an interview.

I feel like a hold doesn’t mean anything here since everyone gets put on hold if not invited for an interview.
Judging from the threads from years past, GW seems to pull people put on "Hold" for IIs and subsequent acceptances fairly frequently. At least moreso than other schools. It's definitely not a "death sentence" as a hold from, say, Loyola.

Judging from the threads from years past, GW seems to pull people put on "Hold" for IIs and subsequent acceptances fairly frequently. At least moreso than other schools. It's definitely not a "death sentence" as a hold from, say, Loyola.

did you see when they started rejecting people?

did you see when they started rejecting people?
Can’t remember, and I’m too lazy to look back again. However, I don’t think outright rejections were given until after the first post-II decisions were made. Could be wrong.

I would not say fairly frequently. Yes, more than other schools but I would imagine most people on hold will not receive an II.

I would not say fairly frequently. Yes, more than other schools but I would imagine most people on hold will not receive an II.
Sorry, I meant in comparison to other schools. You're right that the majority of people on hold will not receive an II from GW. It's just not a 99.9% certainty that you'll be rejected compared to other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
@JSD2 @SeaHusky Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how we should interpret being put on hold. I just saw that I'm on hold (app completed 07/24) and came here specifically to try and figure out whether what that means (with regards to whether I should feel pessimistic about my chances now or what).

@JSD2 @SeaHusky Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how we should interpret being put on hold. I just saw that I'm on hold (app completed 07/24) and came here specifically to try and figure out whether what that means (with regards to whether I should feel pessimistic about my chances now or what).

LM 76, dam why you people even apply to George Washington with stats like these lol......

• Haha
LM 76, dam why you people even apply to George Washington with stats like these lol......

still an awesome school in D.C and any MD school is a dream (at least for me)

Reactions: 4 users

Personal connection to DC area. Also, I'm very into public health, global health, and disaster relief and GW seems especially involved in that sort of thing. It honestly would be one of my top picks just based on what I can tell from the website.

I'm flattered you're impressed by my stats, but the GW adcoms obviously weren't so much, lol.

Reactions: 9 users
just checked portal and appears that I have been placed on hold
complete 8/16

Edit: I could've sworn my status never said "under review" lol but maybe I just missed it (even though I checked yesterday :confused:)

Last edited:
also on hold. also didn't see it placed under review when I checked yesterday lol.
complete 8/14

II just now! First one of the cycle, so excited

Complete 9/12, status changed to under review sometime last week

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Has anyone gotten a post-II rejection?
You’re asking same question in literally every thread. Almost no schools will give post rejections this early. At least not until oct 15. After that, you will most likely get accepted or waitlisted. Usually not rejected.
Edit: post II rejections...

You’re asking same question in literally every thread. Almost no schools will give post rejections this early. At least not until oct 15. After that, you will most likely get accepted or waitlisted. Usually not rejected.
Edit: post II rejections...
Thanks for the info! I was just asking in all the threads of the schools where I've interviewed because someone told me schools give rejections pre October 15th, but I guess it's not common.

Does anyone know if on Oct 15, the portal gets updated or we receive a call regarding the decision.

Does anyone know if on Oct 15, the portal gets updated or we receive a call regarding the decision.
GW says they don’t do calls, only portal updates.

It's also important to note, that there is no guarantee that decisions will be released on October 15th. That's the first date nationally that acceptances can be released, but many schools wait until well after that date, so don't freak out if you don't hear anything on the 15th, especially if you interviewed recently.

Was put on hold sometime today. Complete 9/3.

II just now! complete 8/7 and did have a hold status on my portal. my secondary turnaround time was >1 month haha... hopefully this gives some peeps hope!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 33 users