2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Placed on alternate list. Interviewed 9/6. Sad because I thought my interview went great

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Alt listed.
Will be withdrawing
GL everyone

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users
Also on the waitlist train, interviewed 9/10. Do they call it an “alternate pool” to make you feel better? Is that supposed to sound better than waitlist? Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious if anyone knows how much movement happens on the alternative list

Reactions: 1 user
Also on the waitlist train, interviewed 9/10. Do they call it an “alternate pool” to make you feel better? Is that supposed to sound better than waitlist? Lol
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's no different than a waitlist.

Just curious if anyone knows how much movement happens on the alternative list
Judging from last year's thread, a decent bit. Keep expressing interest! The students I talked to at my interview were all waitlisted originally and then got accepted.

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted today. Unfortunate :(. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I did not submit a letter of intent?

Waitlisted today. Unfortunate :(. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I did not submit a letter of intent?
Way too early, and it's useless without having another acceptance in hand already.

Reactions: 2 users
Judging from last year's thread, a decent bit. Keep expressing interest! The students I talked to at my interview were all waitlisted originally and then got accepted.
I love you Seahusky haha. The optimism is much needed right now! :lol:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I love you Seahusky haha. The optimism is much needed right now! :lol:
Haha you're welcome!

I learned a long time ago that wasting time and energy stressing about something out of my control was just a waste of time. Eyes forward, always. GW pulls a good amount of people off their alternate list, so I'm just spending time preparing future updates. Very fortunate and excited to have received an A already from another wonderful school :)

Reactions: 10 users
Haha you're welcome!

I learned a long time ago that wasting time and energy stressing about something out of my control was just a waste of time. Eyes forward, always. GW pulls a good amount of people off their alternate list, so I'm just spending time preparing future updates. Very fortunate and excited to have received an A already from another wonderful school :)
Love it. We should all have this outlook!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha you're welcome!

I love this optimism!

I've interviewed in late September and I've also been put on the waitlist. Hoping there's a lot of movement!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview invite for December 12, 2019! Looking forward to it! Complete 9/9.

Reactions: 10 users
Alternate list - going to withdraw my application. Best of luck, everyone!

Yeah I have GPA of 3.93 (both science and non-science are 3.93 too). MCAT 515. VA resident.

Anyone have an idea of how fast the turnaround time is here? I interviewed on 9/26
Not sure, I interviewed on 9/20 and haven't heard back, but I think someone else from my date did. I think they said 4-8 weeks on the interview day.

Hey @TarHeelMD?, is it okay if I PM you a few questions about GW and being on the alternate list? I seem to remember you also being placed there last year before being accepted, but I could be wrong. No worries if not :)

On hold today, complete 8/25.

Last edited:
On hold today. Complete 8/16 and never saw an under review update on my portal.

Hi everyone, I'm a MS1 at GW and am happy to answer any questions you have (within a reasonable degree) about GW, DC, or med school in general. I'll try my best to answer any q's quickly. To those on the alternate list and still interested in GW, have faith and stay active in maintaining correspondence with the admissions office. Many from my class came off the WL, one even came off a day, yes a day, before orientation

Reactions: 11 users
Hi everyone, I'm a MS1 at GW and am happy to answer any questions you have (within a reasonable degree) about GW, DC, or med school in general. I'll try my best to answer any q's quickly. To those on the alternate list and still interested in GW, have faith and stay active in maintaining correspondence with the admissions office. Many from my class came off the WL, one even came off a day, yes a day, before orientation
Hey there! Thanks for agreeing to answer questions. :)

In regards to “staying active in maintaining correspondence,“ is there a general guideline you recommend for keeping in touch and/or the frequency we should be communicating?

For context, I sent out a fourth-author pub update pre-decision. I potentially have another second-author pub I could update GW about in the spring, along with which I’d also update them on volunteering hours and new activities. I’ve also been fortunate enough to be accepted to another great school, which I plan on mentioning in a letter of intent later in the spring to GW.

Should I be planning more correspondence than just these two items? I just don’t want to send “useless/minor” updates every month when I haven’t really done anything worthy of an update, just for the sake of sending an update, you know? Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey there! Thanks for agreeing to answer questions. :)

In regards to “staying active in maintaining correspondence,“ is there a general guideline you recommend for keeping in touch and/or the frequency we should be communicating?

For context, I sent out a fourth-author pub update pre-decision. I potentially have another second-author pub I could update GW about in the spring, along with which I’d also update them on volunteering hours and new activities. I’ve also been fortunate enough to be accepted to another great school, which I plan on mentioning in a letter of intent later in the spring to GW.

Should I be planning more correspondence than just these two items? I just don’t want to send “useless/minor” updates every month when I haven’t really done anything worthy of an update, just for the sake of sending an update, you know? Any advice would be much appreciated! :)
Of course! I can't offer tailored advice on this since I didn't find myself in this scenario, so ultimately it'll come down to your preference. My personal philosophy is that you shouldn't withhold impressive information (and that is all impressive information!) from an update to a school for the sake of saving it for a later update. I would have it include all the relevant information upfront (both research items + your acceptance + whatever else you want). Most importantly, and this applies to any and all correspondence, I think would be to link those accolades to your desire to go to GW and how you plan to build off them in the new class. At this point in the game, they know why you want to be a physician, but it never hurts to emphasize why you are drawn to a specific school. Hope that helps

I was scared I might have gone on hold without an email based on the comments in this thread so I checked my portal. Luckily no bad news, but my portal did change to "file review is under review". How long after this change did y'all receive holds or interview invites?

I was scared I might have gone on hold without an email based on the comments in this thread so I checked my portal. Luckily no bad news, but my portal did change to "file review is under review". How long after this change did y'all receive holds or interview invites?

I never got an email when placed on hold, my portal just changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much!

Where do most students live? I think I remember people saying they stay in the georgetown/foggy bottom area but from what I can tell it's pretty expensive, and most listings that come up are the more luxury style apartments, how do you find normal, reasonably priced places to stay?

Hi! I'm in the SMP at Georgetown down the street and my application to GW was marked complete on July 13. My portal still says they've reviewed my file and want to review it again. I've sent 2 letters of interest and am just starting to freak out. Is there anything else I should do?
Just wait... its been only 3.5 months into the cycle. Chill with the LOIs it looks desperate. Sending LOIs doesnt translate into instant II. I understand you love that school/want to go there etc

Can anyone who interviewed tell me how much of the day is spend outside? I have my interview tomorrow and its supposed to rain all day :(

deleted! have a good one!

Last edited:
I interviewed 10/8 and still waiting to hear back. Has anyone received an acceptance yet, seems like I’m only seeing comments about being waitlisted. Based on the time it took for most people to get a response, I’m assuming I’ll hear back mid-November

I interviewed 10/8 and still waiting to hear back. Has anyone received an acceptance yet, seems like I’m only seeing comments about being waitlisted. Based on the time it took for most people to get a response, I’m assuming I’ll hear back mid-November

There was an acceptance or two on this thread. Are the decisions rolling?

Thank you so much!

Where do most students live? I think I remember people saying they stay in the georgetown/foggy bottom area but from what I can tell it's pretty expensive, and most listings that come up are the more luxury style apartments, how do you find normal, reasonably priced places to stay?
No problem. Most of my class lives in Foggy or West End for convenience, since those neighborhoods are closest to class and the hospital. A good amount live in Arlington (Courthouse, VA Square and Ballston are the most residential) - it's usually a little less expensive and easy to metro in. Others prefer to live in Georgetown, Dupont, or as far as U Street or Logan, though this is a small minority.

Housing is expensive, there's no way around that honestly. Having a roommate or multiple if you can helps a lot. Idk if I have any secret formula in finding housing, use resources like zillow, hotpads, etc. and contact building leasing officers directly. Even craigslist can be really useful sometimes. Good deals are out there to be found.

I just logged into my portal and realized I'm on hold. Complete around late September. I apologize if this has been answered, but is this a soft R?

I have my interview on 11/7 and was curious if someone can DM me regarding the types of questions that are asked in the two blind interviews?

I have my interview on 11/7 and was curious if someone can DM me regarding the types of questions that are asked in the two blind interviews?
The questions aren’t hard. You shouldn’t worry about preparing. Just speak with authenticity and make sure to Answer each question - follow up with a specific example if you can.

The questions aren’t hard. You shouldn’t worry about preparing. Just speak with authenticity and make sure to Answer each question - follow up with a specific example if you can.
okay thank you!

Does GW not have a typical anatomy lab class?
GW has a longitudinal anatomy lab experience. Each block has gross and micro anatomy sessions that correlate to the organ system being reviewed. Students are divided into groups of 5-6 for gross dissection labs.

Does anyone know when they start to re-review applications? Was placed on hold pre-II.

I think it's something that's done periodically with no set schedule. I have been placed on a hold earlier this month and haven't seen any changes.

OMG interview invite this morning! Heads up y'all. I think the "file under review" status change is like a pre-interview invite message lol.
Complete 9/17

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Pre-II hold:

"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date."

Complete: 10/9 (don't apply late folks!)
Stats: LM ~70 (balanced GPA/MCAT), OOS, ORM

OMG interview invite this morning! Heads up y'all. I think the "file under review" status change is like a pre-interview invite message lol.
Complete 9/17
+1 Also heard back this morning, complete end of Aug