2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete early July, put on hold late July I think
To the people who got the Rs, it's very unfortunate, but I am curious as to when you guys were completed or put on hold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received notifications today?

Interviewed 10/8 and ignorantly hoped for a response today (Wednesday) since people who interviewed 10/1 received interview responses last Wednesday ughhhhh

Anyone received notifications today?

Interviewed 10/8 and ignorantly hoped for a response today (Wednesday) since people who interviewed 10/1 received interview responses last Wednesday ughhhhh
Lol I'm with ya buddy, nothing on my end yet!

I just got taken off hold and was offered an II!

LizzyM 70, complete in early July

I was offered a December interview, idk what other dates are available.
Did you send them any additional information (e.g letter of interest, etc.)

Just in case anyone was wondering, I replied to the R letter about if they offer application review and they do not. They referred me to the AAMC website and my pre-med advisor.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone that already interviewed sent in an update/interest letter? I have a somewhat update-worthy activity and interviewed over a month ago but haven't heard anything. Just wondering on timing of update letters since the school encourages them and I'm definitely interested in an A!

Has anyone that already interviewed sent in an update/interest letter? I have a somewhat update-worthy activity and interviewed over a month ago but haven't heard anything. Just wondering on timing of update letters since the school encourages them and I'm definitely interested in an A!

I sent an update at the same time as my thank you letters. I had two new grades and a publication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GW Student. AMA while I’m watching the Nationals play in Game 7.

What are your pros and cons based on your experience as a student? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. Did most of your classmates come to GW with a lot of clinical experience? Did you? Trying to figure out what this school is looking for. I have very high clinical hours as a scrub, but mediocre volunteering (due to all those working hours lol)

What are your pros and cons based on your experience as a student? Thanks
Best of You ask specific questions. But off the top of my head,

pros - anatomy lab, location, overall vibe and collaboration, feedback to administration and seeing changes, personalities of most faculty, heavy public health and policy lean.

cons- facilities, curriculum is less step focused, no real step resources are provided to students, not As strong research opportunities outside of cancer, ID or things at Children’s, NIH and public health.

Are a lot of students initially placed on hold accepted? Are there a lot of them in your class?
Not completely sure about this one. I was never placed on hold. The people I know never mentioned this. I do know people who get off the waitlist. I would think though that there are a majority of people placed on hold since there are so many applicants.

Raise your hand if you were put on hold in July and are still on hold! LOLLLL

Reactions: 13 users
Best of You ask specific questions. But off the top of my head,

pros - anatomy lab, location, overall vibe and collaboration, feedback to administration and seeing changes, personalities of most faculty, heavy public health and policy lean.

cons- facilities, curriculum is less step focused, no real step resources are provided to students, not As strong research opportunities outside of cancer, ID or things at Children’s, NIH and public health.

Can you tell more about the facilities and curriculum not being step focused? Is that for all of the step exams? Do you know what is the step averages in the past years? Thanks!

Hey. Did most of your classmates come to GW with a lot of clinical experience? Did you? Trying to figure out what this school is looking for. I have very high clinical hours as a scrub, but mediocre volunteering (due to all those working hours lol)
I’m not sure what a lot of clinical experience means. I don’t know if there is some sort of cut off in regards to hours, but basically you need to have some sort of meaningful clinical exposure to patients. We want students that don’t just list hours volunteering but who learn from patients and use their experiences with patients to enrich their view of medicine. Don’t come here for an interview and just say you volunteered with a clinic. You need to come prepared to bring something compelling about your time with someone you cared for.

Reactions: 4 users
Can you tell more about the facilities and curriculum not being step focused? Is that for all of the step exams? Do you know what is the step averages in the past years? Thanks! It just an old building. Severe jealousy when I think about the other beautiful buildings I interviewed in. The lectures have their own interests and sometimes it goes too much in depth compared to what we need to know for step1. Average I think however around the National.

I’m not sure what a lot of clinical experience means. I don’t know if there is some sort of cut off in regards to hours, but basically you need to have some sort of meaningful clinical exposure to patients. We want students that don’t just list hours volunteering but who learn from patients and use their experiences with patients to enrich their view of medicine. Don’t come here for an interview and just say you volunteered with a clinic. You need to come prepared to bring something compelling about your time with someone you cared for.
I guess I should have specified professional (paid) clinical experience. But meaningful patient interactions can come from both working and volunteering obviously. Thank you for the insight!

You think Scherzer’s gonna shut down the Astros tonight?
I hear he was loaded with corticoids so I’m thinking whatever is left of his shoulder tonight is going to be worth the win coming home to DC.

Are there any current GW Med students in this thread that have been a part of METEOR and can comment on their experience with the program?

This thread hasn't been active in a while. Has anyone heard back from the school recently? I interviewed on October 8th and wanted to know when I should expect to hear back!

This thread hasn't been active in a while. Has anyone heard back from the school recently? I interviewed on October 8th and wanted to know when I should expect to hear back!

same here! Im thinking this week, putting in hope it’s today but probs not

Has anyone tried to call admissions and see when they plan to release October 8th interview admission decisions? Just getting antsy because I have another interview next week that I’m holding off booking a flight for hoping this GW decision would get back to me first.

Was on hold... now changed to file is under review again. Did this happen to anyone else?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Was on hold... now changed to file is under review again. Did this happen to anyone else?

:) Nice! That's a good sign. I haven't had that happen yet. When were you complete and when did you get put on hold? I was complete 8/1, put on hold 9/20, and hoping to see this happen to me soon.

Reactions: 3 users
:) Nice! That's a good sign. I haven't had that happen yet. When were you complete and when did you get put on hold? I was complete 8/1, put on hold 9/20, and hoping to see this happen to me soon.

Complete late July and put on hold in August!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! Interviewed 10/11

Congrats!!! I interviewed 10/8 and my portal still says under review :( I called admissions and they said they don’t review applications chronologically ugh :(

May I ask you what month they're scheduling interviews into now?
The interview date they assigned me was for the beginning of November. Had to last second scramble for flights/place to stay haha

Congrats!!! Did you send an update letter?
Thanks! I did submit an update letter, but it was more a letter of interest. I have ties to the school and wanted to make sure they were clearly stated. Who knows how much it actually played into me getting an II.

Interviewed Oct 8 and heard back to today. Got placed on the alternate list :(

• Sad
People who interviewed or will be interviewing soon:

I am freaking out (hopefully unnecessarily) because I can't find my email where I confirmed my interview. I'm positive I did it (and I also have a PDF of my photo/AAMC ID/interview date, which they asked me to upload to the portal), but when I check my portal it only says "Correspondence concerning the status of your application has been sent to you via the preferred email address on file with AMCAS. If you have not received this correspondence, please email us at [email protected]" and I can't see my PDF upload.

I also haven't received any additional confirmation about my upcoming interview. Is this normal?
Why wouldn't you just call them? They can resend any info to you. Just say you never received it.

I did call, but they asked me to email them, and they never responded. Also my interview is next week, so I was wondering if this is a common thing (i.e., portal won't say "Interview on ___ confirmed")

Edit: basically, I just want to make sure they are expecting me, and I don't go to DC for no reason!
Edit edit: other schools usually email a few times to remind/confirm the interview date, but I have gotten 0 emails from GW. So it would be great if someone with an II can tell me what their experience has been like :)
That's what I meant. call and confirm the interview date and details. I get the concern, don't worry!

• Love
I did call, but they asked me to email them, and they never responded. Also my interview is next week, so I was wondering if this is a common thing (i.e., portal won't say "Interview on ___ confirmed")

Edit: basically, I just want to make sure they are expecting me, and I don't go to DC for no reason!
Edit edit: other schools usually email a few times to remind/confirm the interview date, but I have gotten 0 emails from GW. So it would be great if someone with an II can tell me what their experience has been like :)
They only send a reminder the day before/2 days before. I got a confirmation 2 days before the interview date I originally was given and 1 day before the interview day I attended. (Was sick & rescheduled the day before).

THANK YOU! I called them and they were like pls email us, and they haven't responded cuz they are literally conducting interviews right now, and I'm just like tweaking at work lol. I am one of those freaks who obsessively deletes their emails so I can't confirm whether or not I actually responded to the interview invitation in late August. And then my portal doesn't mention my interview so I'm highly anxious but it's prob all good.

To my knowledge the portal doesn't update when you get an II. I just checked mine and the only thing that has changed is a blurb that says thanks for interviewing.

Ok permission to be nutty for one more post? (sorry in advance all)

After you were invited to interview, did your status say "Correspondence concerning the status of your application has been sent to you via the preferred email address on file with AMCAS. If you have not received this correspondence, please email us at [email protected]"

That is just the interview invite. Once you confirm, they ask you to upload that PDF. You get another email confirming you have updated your application.

Ok, I did upload that PDF. But I don't think I ever got a confirmation, and my status still says that. Meh

I’m in the same boat but not worried at all. If we were invited and we didn’t receive anything saying not to come, then there’s no way you can do anything wrong by showing up for the interview you were invited for lol. I also interview next week!

• Love
#smallvictories was rejected yesterday from GW on this day last year. MADE IT FURTHER this cycle officially hahaha.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 25 users
Still haven’t heard back. 10/8 was my interview date

Ah so my app went from on-hold to under review as of today. Has everyone whose gotten this message received an interview?