2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary application for Kaiser beginning of Oct and have not heard back. About how long is the review process? My MCAT is 513 and GPA is 3.90
I submitted my secondary in June and haven’t heard back. They don’t necessarily go in order.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
I submitted my secondary application for Kaiser beginning of Oct and have not heard back. About how long is the review process? My MCAT is 513 and GPA is 3.90

you have got a looooong way to go my friend

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

I wish I had that MCAT score lol.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday, OOS, verified in late July. I have a LizzyM of 72. Is anyone attending the January 16th Interview?

Reactions: 7 users
Complete first week in August. Has anyone complete around this time heard back (II or R)?
Been complete since early July and nothing...
But there are plenty in same boat. And obviously there are people who have gotten IIs.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I'm interviewing in December, and can any past interviewees help me with the hotel details? I was wondering if I have to call to arrange the hotel accommodation, or just fill out the pre-interview form? Or do they automatically reserve you the room for the night before your interview unless you specify otherwise?

Hi! I'm interviewing in December, and can any past interviewees help me with the hotel details? I was wondering if I have to call to arrange the hotel accommodation, or just fill out the pre-interview form? Or do they automatically reserve you the room for the night before your interview unless you specify otherwise?

They automatically reserve your room unless you specify otherwise :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who's already interviewed have any elaboration on their expected curriculum? I'm worried it won't prepare students well enough for Step.

Last edited:
Anyone who's already interviewed have any elaboration on their expected curriculum? I'm worried it won't prepare students well enough for Step.

It’s case-based learning. Groups of 8 with 2 faculty members facilitating discussion. You get “briefed” on the case in a “lecture” and then independently prepare to discuss everything so you research and use textbooks and other resources to bring with you to go over everything in the small group. The faculty facilitators will make sure that everything you need to know for step is covered. They also said they’ll provide basically every board resource to students for free (e.g., first aid, pathoma, etc). Other schools like Hofstra have this model and score competitively on step.

So the independent preparation will include anatomy, physiology, and pathology? And you just cover as much of it as is required for the specific case? Interesting.

So the independent preparation will include anatomy, physiology, and pathology? And you just cover as much of it as is required for the specific case? Interesting.

They have actual anatomy lab with plastinated models and virtual/augmented reality systems to learn the associated anatomy that goes along with whatever you’re doing in cases. If I remember correctly everything is still organized into blocks like more traditional curriculum it’s just not all lecture based.

II tonight! Was complete mid July and OOS!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received a “complete” email yesterday afternoon for the MD/PhD. II this morning. I technically had everything in the beginning of October, though never got the complete email.

Last edited:
Dang. I just read that no one actually wound up getting accepted here last year. Should this make me worried?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Received a “complete” email yesterday afternoon for the MD/PhD. II this morning. I technically had everything in the beginning of October, though never got the complete email.

Wow I thought you were a med student at Cornell

Silly question, but what does ITA stand for?
I tried to google it but was no help... lol

Dang. I just read that no one actually wound up getting accepted here last year. Should this make me worried?
I must be living in the future because this is kaisers first cycle in my time line

• Haha
Today is the first day that the secondary site’s timeline says they’ll send acceptances out. Wonder if they’ll become more frequent from here out

Today is the first day that the secondary site’s timeline says they’ll send acceptances out. Wonder if they’ll become more frequent from here out

I don't think it's likely. The are only accepting 48 students and if they function like other schools they would send around 2x the number of acceptances as spots. But, I think that because of the free factor they may send fewer acceptances to ensure they don't over enroll. It's possible they may admit select applicants post-interview and a majority of the class when the interview season wraps up. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think it's likely. The are only accepting 48 students and if they function like other schools they would send around 2x the number of acceptances as spots. But, I think that because of the free factor they may send fewer acceptances to ensure they don't over enroll. It's possible they may admit select applicants post-interview and a majority of the class when the interview season wraps up. But that's just my opinion.
I had an August interview date and they said they we would hear by 12/31.

I had an August interview date and they said they we would hear by 12/31.

I was just trying to make the point that KP probably isn't tossing out all their A's before the cycle is up. A decision could still mean a post-II hold.

I was just trying to make the point that KP probably isn't tossing out all their A's before the cycle is up. A decision could still mean a post-II hold.

Yeah it was definitely wishful thinking but a guy can hope, right? As an aside, the timeline does say final decisions emailed on a rolling basis so they may not notify you of post-II holds

I'm wondering if applicants will be likely to pick Kaiser over other schools that are already established with a name and a match list.

I'm wondering if applicants will be likely to pick Kaiser over other schools that are already established with a name and a match list.
For those that have interviewed here, how are they communicating and positioning themselves against established schools for the ability to match outside of the KP system?

I think it depends on a myriad of factors. Maybe they get scholarships to another program. Maybe comfort of having a match track record > money saved. Side note, I believe from what I read on their site that they may have more specific traffic rules. I think I saw that once they send an A, you can only hold theirs and one other. (someone who's been to the interview/accepted, pls clarify)

Personally, I think that KP is such a big name in healthcare that they are going to pull out all the stops to ensure their first set of students are successful.

For those that have interviewed here, how are they communicating and positioning themselves against established schools for the ability to match outside of the KP system?

Many of the deans/faculty have come from other institutions outside the KP system and are well connected. The main dean is from Harvard and mentioned he’s already had program directors that he’s familiar with asking about his students. You’re also under no obligation whatsoever to apply to KP programs (but he said those program directors are also highly interested). It definitely seemed like there will be no problems matching anywhere across the country.

I think it depends on a myriad of factors. Maybe they get scholarships to another program. Maybe comfort of having a match track record > money saved. Side note, I believe from what I read on their site that they may have more specific traffic rules. I think I saw that once they send an A, you can only hold theirs and one other. (someone who's been to the interview/accepted, pls clarify)

They didn’t mention that at all on interview day but I do see that on the website now that I look. It looks honestly like a misunderstanding of the traffic rules since they reference those. My understanding is they can’t even see if you’ve been accepted elsewhere and would have no way of knowing if you’re holding more than one.

Reactions: 2 users

Personally, I think that KP is such a big name in healthcare that they are going to pull out all the stops to ensure their first set of students are successful.

I see that on the website as you mentioned, but on my acceptance portal it doesn't mention anything about only holding their acceptance and one other one. They didn't mention it at the interview either.

I see that on the website as you mentioned, but on my acceptance portal it doesn't mention anything about only holding their acceptance and one other one. They didn't mention it at the interview either.

Per AAMC traffic rules, the school would neither be able to know nor require you to do that.

Reactions: 2 users
II today! submitted 2nd/3rd week of august