2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
not to depress ya, but LM 80+ and third week of jan!

Damn, I submitted in March, guess I still have to wait a while

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
If your answers to number 1 and number 3 on the secondary are similar in terms of the context of what you're writing about, would that be considered bad/not the best thing to write about?

For instance, if you talk about overcoming obesity or diabetes for question number 1 and how you grew from that experience and then in the 3rd question you go on to talk about your passion/interest for fitness and nutrition and how you have become your own expert in the matter and have achieved your fitness goals as well as talking about how you pursued research as an undergrad in that field, is that too much overlap between the answers/content?

Do you guys think I should talk about 2 different things in these answers? I'm having a hard time thinking about what to write since I've written that question over like 5 times already.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If your answers to number 1 and number 3 on the secondary are similar in terms of the context of what you're writing about, would that be considered bad/not the best thing to write about?

We don't know because none of us here are adcoms.

Reactions: 4 users

For instance, if you talk about overcoming obesity or diabetes for question number 1 and how you grew from that experience and then in the 3rd question you go on to talk about your passion/interest for fitness and nutrition and how you have become your own expert in the matter and have achieved your fitness goals as well as talking about how you pursued research as an undergrad in that field, is that too much overlap between the answers/content?

Do you guys think I should talk about 2 different things in these answers? I'm having a hard time thinking about what to write since I've written that question over like 5 times already.

Thanks
Honestly no one knows what the admissions committee is looking for. If those answers resonate with you, then by all means, they resonate with you! It’s better to stay true to yourself rather than trying to fit yourself or your stories into the prompt. I feel like people have already answered your questions about this secondary, and many of those answers are similar to mine here. If you’re looking for someone to say “omg yeah that’s a great answer, I bet you’re going to get an interview!!”, you may not get it. Just write with confidence. I’ve seen nearly all of your posts and you’ve asked the same questions over and over, first pertaining to whether or not you’re going to get the secondary, then to whether or not your mcat score is “high enough” for Kaiser, and now about your answers for the secondary. All I’m saying is please listen to the advice that many people have already given you. The truth is, no one knows for sure, but you’re asking repeatedly as if trying to wait for an adcom to randomly see your post and give you a straight answer, since all the other answers SDNers have given you are not good enough. Also, it is already November, so better to submit sooner rather than later. Good luck, from a fellow non trad who is also waiting for an II

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty sure the deadline is today, based on the timeline feature on the portal. Just send it already.

Agreed with the sophisticated name above. Although, I just logged into the portal and clicked the timeline on there, and it says it was due 18 hours ago. Meaning, 12:01 AM on 11/1 instead of 11:59 PM on 11/1. Not sure if that timeline is truly accurate or not.

Agreed with the sophisticated name above. Although, I just logged into the portal and clicked the timeline on there, and it says it was due 18 hours ago. Meaning, 12:01 AM on 11/1 instead of 11:59 PM on 11/1. Not sure if that timeline is truly accurate or not.

In my email, they said it was due Nov 1st by 11:59 PM.

Reactions: 1 user
For people that are getting those Kaiser research studies email I emailed them maybe a week or 2 before my II to take me off their mailing list and I still got an interview invite! So emailing them that did not ruin my chances!

Reactions: 2 users
For people that are getting those Kaiser research studies email I emailed them maybe a week or 2 before my II to take me off their mailing list and I still got an interview invite! So emailing them that did not ruin my chances!
This is actually why I use sdn. For practical tips like this. Thanks, Jun

• Love
For people who submitted their secondaries, just curious as to how long it took you guys to get a response back from Kaiser. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I submitted mine November 1st I should be hearing back by January 1st?
It just depends on what they’re looking for and what you offer them. It’s been over 2 months for many people on here who are still waiting to hear from them. Good luck!

I don’t think it follows a linear pattern. I’m unsure how Kaiser sorts their application.
I agree. People in July got iis in the most recent batch, as did people who submitted way more recently.

Does anyone know what is "Travel assistance?" in pre interview form? I understand about dietary and accommodation assistance.
Are they providing any assistance related to air travel? Travel from airport to hotel?

I don’t think it follows a linear pattern. I’m unsure how Kaiser sorts their application.

I got to talk with Dr. Willies-Jacobo for a spell at the UC Davis Pre-Health Conference just before they left and she said that they're swamped with apps with more coming everyday, that they're reading all of them, and most importantly that they're searching for mission fit. Now, to what degree they mean 4.0, 528 and mission fit or not, I dunno. But I do appreciate that whittling 10K+ apps down to 50 or whatever the inaugural class size takes a long time.

I got to talk with Dr. Willies-Jacobo for a spell at the UC Davis Pre-Health Conference just before they left and she said that they're swamped with apps with more coming everyday, that they're reading all of them, and most importantly that they're searching for mission fit. Now, to what degree they mean 4.0, 528 and mission fit or not, I dunno. But I do appreciate that whittling 10K+ apps down to 50 or whatever the inaugural class size takes a long time.

Did she actually say 10k+ apps? If so that’s crazy lol

For people who submitted their secondaries, just curious as to how long it took you guys to get a response back from Kaiser. Thanks.
I submitted way back in July and I still haven't heard anything. It's about stats/ECs/ where the applicant comes from not just complete date.

For the record complete for nearly 4 months and haven't heard a peep (except two survey requests lmbo)

Reactions: 8 users
Did she actually say 10k+ apps? If so that’s crazy lol

I assume 10k is on the extremely low-end of the estimate. For comparison, UCLA got 14,500 apps last year. Now throw in tuition free, still in SoCal, etc. I'm really interested to see how many apps Kaiser gets in the end but I'm going to guess it is well above 15k.

Congrats!! What interview dates were available?
The earliest for me was January 30th. I didn't look beyond that because I was scared Jan 30th would fill up if I didn't sign up immediately hahaha.

II yesterday! complete mid-August. Only one date available late Jan
Anyone have more information on what they cover in terms of travel arrangements?

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what is "Travel assistance?" in pre interview form? I understand about dietary and accommodation assistance.
Are they providing any assistance related to air travel? Travel from airport to hotel?
II yesterday! complete mid-August. Only one date available late Jan
Anyone have more information on what they cover in terms of travel arrangements?

+1 for being confused by "travel assistance." My first thought was that it might be for people with special travel needs, like someone in a wheelchair, or someone who's pregnant, etc. But I also don't want to miss out on a potential free ride from the airport to the hotel :)

Any post interview news recently? I interviewed 8/29 and silence for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today and absolutely in shock and literally shaking. Interviewed 10/17.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 24 users
I'm excited to see the building actually built
How are you feeling about the school? It was one of my top choices coming into the cycle but I’ve already gotten mixed responses from physicians I work with and kinda fear that there’ll be stigma that follows me for the rest of my career if I do go here.

How are you feeling about the school? It was one of my top choices coming into the cycle but I’ve already gotten mixed responses from physicians I work with and kinda fear that there’ll be stigma that follows me for the rest of my career if I do go here.
What is the stigma?