2019-2020 Maryland

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone explain how they approached their answer to the secondary question: "21) Without limiting the discussion to your own identity, please describe how you envision contributing to the core values of diversity and inclusion at our School of Medicine, and in the medical profession." ?

I think it’s a fancy way of asking how you bring diverse experiences to the program aside from your ethnicity or other ways to identify yourself socially.
 
Any know if Maryland is holistic with their application process? Trying to decide if I should throw money at this school. OOS.
 
Any know if Maryland is holistic with their application process? Trying to decide if I should throw money at this school. OOS.

Really not OOS friendly but I’d imagine they’d be relatively holistic given a decent spread of GPA and MCAT scores on MSAR
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If #10 (Have there been any gaps in your education from high school to college, while in college, or after college?) is also considering gap year, then how do I answer #10 and #11 (If you graduated/will graduate in 2019, what are your plans during this gap year?) differently? Feel like that is two 1000 character prompts asking the same question?
 
I still haven't submitted my secondary here due to unforeseen life events getting in the way... I'm OOS but my grandfather went to medical school here. I know they prefer IS, my MCAT 509 and went to a nontraditional undergrad.

Should I try to submit this late? Not sure how much they will value the family connection.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still haven't submitted my secondary here due to unforeseen life events getting in the way... I'm OOS but my grandfather went to medical school here. I know they prefer IS, my MCAT 509 and went to a nontraditional undergrad.

Should I try to submit this late? Not sure how much they will value the family connection.
I think you should!
 
Out of curiosity does anyone know if maryland has sent out rejection emails yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does Maryland feel about someone who was a resident growing up (14 years), but is now a resident somewhere else? Do you think they could get comparable love to an IS applicant? If it helps, the new state is CA, which offers 0 in-state love to its residents. Parents and siblings still live in MD.
 
How does Maryland feel about someone who was a resident growing up (14 years), but is now a resident somewhere else? Do you think they could get comparable love to an IS applicant? If it helps, the new state is CA, which offers 0 in-state love to its residents. Parents and siblings still live in MD.
I think they will look at it fondly! Having in-state connections as an OOS applicant to a public medical school is a huge plus!
 
I think they will look at it fondly! Having in-state connections as an OOS applicant to a public medical school is a huge plus!

Thanks! I wouldn't want to waste my money on applying to a school that just thinks of me as another OOS applicant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed today that it said "interview under review" under my status, which wasn't there as of Friday. I assume it means I am under committee review? I was complete in late June.