2019-2020 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For toughest feedback prompt, is it alright to talk about how we struggled at first with our current job and received feedback from our supervisor on what we needed to improve on? I’ll be sure to talk about how I used the feedback to improve my flaws and learn from my mistakes. Eventually I adjusted and have been working there for a while and got an amazing LOR from my supervisor

That's what I wrote about
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean, if you're doing an in the area for like mid-September because you have an interview at another school scheduled, that couldn't hurt to have that in your file.
 
For the toughest feedback question, is it okay to discuss a formal work experience from high school? I did learn a lot from the feedback, so I think it could be useful to talk about
 
For the toughest feedback question, is it okay to discuss a formal work experience from high school? I did learn a lot from the feedback, so I think it could be useful to talk about

I think it’s fine
Do you really need to mention that it’s from hs though?
IMO it’s better to just talk about the experience and leave that part out unless it’s essential to your essay
 
I think it’s fine
Do you really need to mention that it’s from hs though?
IMO it’s better to just talk about the experience and leave that part out unless it’s essential to your essay
I feel like normally I wouldn't have to, but then wouldn't it be weird if I didn't mention that it was and they then saw that I never put this work into my activities section on AMCAS?
 
I really doubt that anyone would bother to cross check your essay answer with your amcas activities like that. But I don’t think it would hurt to mention it if you’re worried about that. Maybe you could say something like “3 years ago when I was working at x, I received feedback... or something like that.
 
Do they have a letter of recommendation maximum? All I see on their website is one STEM and one Nonstem professor (my school doesn't have committee letters). I have multiple from work, research, and volunteering I was hoping to submit as well given that I've been out of school for a bit.
 
Do they have a letter of recommendation maximum? All I see on their website is one STEM and one Nonstem professor (my school doesn't have committee letters). I have multiple from work, research, and volunteering I was hoping to submit as well given that I've been out of school for a bit.

MSAR says a max of 8
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey did everyone who is complete get a complete email? I submitted July 22nd and still have not received anything
 
Looking for opinions on my topic for the unfair/unjust prompt. I thought about using broader injustice rather than once instance. Would writing about the injustice of sexual violence specifically toward women and on college campuses make sense? I could then talk about my volunteer work at a sexual assault and domestic violence treatment center. Another idea I have is about the time there were protestors on campus using religion to spread hate about transgender individuals (which hits close to home for me because of family) and instead of using my anger to confront them I joined a counter protest across the street. Thoughts?
 
Looking for opinions on my topic for the unfair/unjust prompt. I thought about using broader injustice rather than once instance. Would writing about the injustice of sexual violence specifically toward women and on college campuses make sense? I could then talk about my volunteer work at a sexual assault and domestic violence treatment center. Another idea I have is about the time there were protestors on campus using religion to spread hate about transgender individuals (which hits close to home for me because of family) and instead of using my anger to confront them I joined a counter protest across the street. Thoughts?
I think either of those would work as long as you pair them with personal action. The topic is purposefully vague which allows you to elaborate however you see fit
 
MSTP applicants, for the hours of full time research, are you guys not including your hours of part-time research from during the academic year?
 
Does anyone know if they're receptive to ITA emails? I'm gonna have trouble making more than one trip to NY so I'd rather try and combine interviews together if I get this one
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol rip. I was complete around the same time and nothing. Hope they don’t go chronologically
 
I’ve read specifically to not send ITA emails to this school but not sure if its a negative if you send or neutral. Google ITA Mt Sinai SDN it should pop up within couple of results I think.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure how to quote on phone but look up “In The Area” email compendium”, Mt Sinai is mentioned.Your call though since there is conflicting answers

FYI - See this more detailed thread for a bigger ITA list and info.
 
rip i was complete 7/26 and no news...hopefully like UCLA they look at my application in a separate pile because I'm international