2019-2020 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email from nymc stating that im missing a science LOR - im super confused because two of my writers are from classes that are unambiguously science courses. Also contacted them earlier in the cycle to ask about my letters and was told they should be fine. I emailed NYMC and am waiting for a response but man now im super paranoid that one of my writers just turned in a one liner or didnt say which course they knew me from... totally possible

Don’t worry too much — it’s probably a simple fix to properly categorize your letters. Give them a call or email and it will be totally fine as long as your letters meet requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted 6/29 right after they sent secondary but no complete email yet - should I email them?

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! LizzyM 70, complete 7/16. I logged onto the portal to select an interview time and the earliest date I personally saw was 10/31. They had Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday dates. They seemed to fill up super quickly as I was debating which date to choose and already saw a few options disappear from the drop-down menu.

Lol an interview on Halloween?

Lol an interview on Halloween?

"haha yea.. uh.. nymc do you have any other days available? I have an obligation to walk around as a cucumber in a hospice clinic on halloween"

Reactions: 8 users
II this morning! LizzyM 70, complete 7/16. I logged onto the portal to select an interview time and the earliest date I personally saw was 10/31. They had Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday dates. They seemed to fill up super quickly as I was debating which date to choose and already saw a few options disappear from the drop-down menu.
Congrats on your II!! I have similar stats and also submitted around that time but haven't heard back yet :( hopefully i'll get that email soon !!

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning!!! LM 74 OOS. i know people are concerned about getting the complete email, but i never got one and still got an II! i submitted mid-july

Did they give you any correspondence between submitting your app and II? Also, do they email you saying they received your LORs?

Did they give you any correspondence between submitting your app and II? Also, do they email you saying they received your LORs?
Shoot I messed up. I'm a reapplicant and made a new email for this cycle. I got my secondary invite on my new email 7/11, and my secondary complete confirmation on my old email 7/16. Then I got my interview invite on my new email, and my interview confirmation on my old email. My bad, I had only checked my new email for correspondence from them so I didn't see my secondary confirmation there.

Shoot I messed up. I'm a reapplicant and made a new email for this cycle. I got my secondary invite on my new email 7/11, and my secondary complete confirmation on my old email 7/16. Then I got my interview invite on my new email, and my interview confirmation on my old email. My bad, I had only checked my new email for correspondence from them so I didn't see my secondary confirmation there.
okay I see, how long in between the confirmation and when you submitted 2ndary

What's an ITA email? lol
It's when you send an email to an admissions office telling them that you'll be "in the area." The implication is that you have an interview at a nearby school, and that it would cut down on travel costs associated with interviewing if you could make the trip only once. It works at some schools, but not all.

It's when you send an email to an admissions office telling them that you'll be "in the area." The implication is that you have an interview at a nearby school, and that it would cut down on travel costs associated with interviewing if you could make the trip only once. It works at some schools, but not all.

Oh I see, so you ask them before they grant you an interview?

Submitted 6/29 and still haven't heard back about complete email. Should I just send them an email?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 6/29 and still haven't heard back about complete email. Should I just send them an email?

Likewise for me and I'm waiting until 8 weeks pass because their portal straight up said don't talk to us

Reactions: 3 users
Submitted 6/29 and just got a complete email

damn, they're taking their time. Or did you have LORs/CASPer not in? I submitted 6/29 and got a complete email on 7/4

I had everything in..not sure what took so long. Was definitely getting nervous!

submitted 7/15. Just got complete email.

Submitted 6/19 and still not complete :( Did anyone have any luck contacting them or do they not tell you anything about your status even if its past the 4-6 week mark?

Just got completion email..... That took a long time lol. For those of you who have II, how long did it take for them to review your app and send decision after you received the completion email?

Anyone know how to withdraw my app? Email them?
I didn't realize that they require 2 letters from science professor when I submitted their secondary...

I didn't realize that they require 2 letters from science professor when I submitted their secondary...
I mean you already paid so you might as well pray they overlook it or something haha

I mean you already paid so you might as well pray they overlook it or something haha
I should’ve mentioned, they already emailed saying that I’m missing the second letter so they won’t continue reviewing my app unless I submit one

I should’ve mentioned, they already emailed saying that I’m missing the second letter so they won’t continue reviewing my app unless I submit one
how long did it take between submitting secondary to getting that email saying you are missing stuff cause I submitted my secondary way long ago and I haven't heard a word

how long did it take between submitting secondary to getting that email saying you are missing stuff cause I submitted my secondary way long ago and I haven't heard a word
Submitted 6/29 and received that email 8/9

PSA For people that have submitted a while ago but haven't gotten a complete email and believe they may not satisfy the letter of recommendation requirements: I would recommend calling to make sure you satisfied those requirements. I had a friend that wasn't sure if he satisfied them, he called them and found out he was actually missing an undergrad science person (he thought maybe his grad school ones would be enough), he got one submitted within a few days from an undergrad teacher, told NYMC once it had been submitted, and got his confirmation email the next day.

Why not see if your letters can meet the requirement or you can get another letter? You’re already paid and all that.

Why not see if your letters can meet the requirement or you can get another letter? You’re already paid and all that.
I appreciate the recommendation but unfortunately, they already emailed me saying my current letters don't meet the requirement. I'm also a little non-trad in that I worked a ton in my undergrad so I didn't build many strong connections with my science professors and was only able to get a letter from one of them :shrug:

So I got the email two days ago that my letters were sufficient. I called yesterday morning and clarified my situation with the admissions coordinator who was very helpful. She said that she would mark my file as complete. However, I have yet to receive a complete email. Should I call again to see whether I still need to do something or should I just wait a couple of days?

So I got the email two days ago that my letters were sufficient. I called yesterday morning and clarified my situation with the admissions coordinator who was very helpful. She said that she would mark my file as complete. However, I have yet to receive a complete email. Should I call again to see whether I still need to do something or should I just wait a couple of days?

Just wait lol

Can anyone comment on the Student Host Program? I'm planning on doing it and was wondering what I should expect

Can anyone comment on the Student Host Program? I'm planning on doing it and was wondering what I should expect

You basically just stay overnight with a current student living on campus - it's a good opportunity to both have a convenient place to stay if you're from out of town, and to get to know a bit more about the campus. It's definitely not necessary though, just depends on if you're interested or not. It will not impact admission.

Does anyone know if it's okay to submit more than 3 letters of rec, so long as i meet the requirements for the letter writers? Or should it be 3 max?

Does anyone know if it's okay to submit more than 3 letters of rec, so long as i meet the requirements for the letter writers? Or should it be 3 max?
I submitted 5 as part of my letter packet and they were okay with that!

Would yours all be part of a packet or are you thinking 3+ individual letters? If individual, I would think they probably just want 3 to keep things streamlined but that's just my opinion.

I submitted 5 as part of my letter packet and they were okay with that!

Would yours all be part of a packet or are you thinking 3+ individual letters? If individual, I would think they probably just want 3 to keep things streamlined but that's just my opinion.

3+ individual, which is why I'm unsure. Wish they would just state whether they accept additional letters. I'll probably call the office tomorrow and ask.

Usually fast, hours to days.

Yeah, considering they sent em out pre-verification and its 3 yes or no questions.... im sure youll get it tomorrow which is the next business day after you submitted

edit: and a free 125 dollars for them

Secondary received and submitted just now, 3 days after submitting primary.

Fastest secondary Ive ever done. A+
May every god known to man bless this school

Reactions: 2 users
II, OOS, ORM LM 73.3 Submitted 6/29. Complete Email 7/9

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else submitted 6/29 and still not complete? If so, are you calling or emailing them? I know they said not to inquire about the status of your application but its been almost 8 weeks at this point so I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone else submitted 6/29 and still not complete? If so, are you calling or emailing them? I know they said not to inquire about the status of your application but its been almost 8 weeks at this point so I'm not sure what to do.
Same...

• Sad
Same here. I emailed them and they said my application was only AMCAS verified two weeks ago when it was really verified two months ago. Very odd.
Did you end up being complete after you emailed them?

Did you end up being complete after you emailed them?
No. I emailed back saying I thought there might be a mix up because I was verified in June but they never emailed back. I took my CASPER on July 7th so I thought maybe they meant two weeks since they got all application materials.

No. I emailed back saying I thought there might be a mix up because I was verified in June but they never emailed back. I took my CASPER on July 7th so I thought maybe they meant two weeks since they got all application materials.
Ugh this is so frustrating, I'm sorry you're also still not complete. I'll try to email them and update if I hear back.