Sep 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Got the award letter. 15,000 scholarship but apparently 2,500 of it isn't yet guaranteed because my COLS eligibility has yet to be determined? Does anyone else have this?
I have the COLS 'eligibility to be determined' thing too. They're first going to check if you live in an off-campus housing before they disburse that to you. Do you know if the amount listed under "grants and scholarships" are a one-time thing, or will they be renewed every year assuming one's financial conditions don't change?

Jan 22, 2020
Status
Medical Student
I have the COLS 'eligibility to be determined' thing too. They're first going to check if you live in an off-campus housing before they disburse that to you. Do you know if the amount listed under "grants and scholarships" are a one-time thing, or will they be renewed every year assuming one's financial conditions don't change?
I think it's a yearly thing. Check the pdf that came with the email. It should explain it there.

Reactions: raisingrocks
About the Ads
Feb 12, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know how receptive financial aid is to negotiating offers? Since it’s all need-based it seems unlikely, but thought I’d ask anyways.

Reactions: utangboy123

Etopn23

7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I think it will be a likely event. UCSF cancelled their annual mentor ship program "inside UCSF", so....
Hope not. Already paid for housing and airfare for my wife and I. :(

• Sad
Reactions: utangboy123

Skarl

2+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2015
Regarding financial aid: does anyone know why the budget total does not match the awards total? Should the two not be equal?

Jan 22, 2020
Status
Medical Student

"Student budget is the estimated average and reasonable cost of completing an academic year at UCSF. Your budget serves as the foundation for determining your financial need as well as the amount of qualified aid that can be offered to you."

The budget is just the amount you are expected to pay per year. The award is the amount of loans+scholarships you received. You can apply for more loans through the Graduate + loan method if you want the loans to cover the total cost of attendance.

Reactions: Skarl

Etopn23

7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status
Anyone else waiting for second look to be cancelled? :( really looking forward to it but so many other schools have been cancelling
Cancelled..... nonrefundable reservations. I understand why it had to be done but man that's painful.

May 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
as an OOS i was really looking forward to accepted students weekend to get a better feel on the area and see if i could move myself across the country for this school... don’t know how I’m gonna pick a school at this point but we’ll see I guess lol

Nov 21, 2019
Hey everyone! I got on the alternate list on Monday :( but I also interviewed for SJV prime and haven’t heard anything about my status with them - any other SJV prime applicants out there know when we can expect to hear back? Or has anyone been accepted to it?

May 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted students weekend was just cancelled via email.

Has anyone’s request recently been accepted to the accepted students FB page? I’ve been waiting for like two weeks

About the Ads

CU18

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2016
Accepted students weekend was just cancelled via email.

Has anyone’s request recently been accepted to the accepted students FB page? I’ve been waiting for like two weeks
would you mind quoting the email? I didn't receive it for some reason

Etopn23

7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status
Not even flights?
Cancellation results in credit that must be used within a year for a flight only for that specific passenger (Southwest).

Reactions: raisingrocks
Sep 18, 2018
Hey everyone! I got on the alternate list on Monday :( but I also interviewed for SJV prime and haven’t heard anything about my status with them - any other SJV prime applicants out there know when we can expect to hear back? Or has anyone been accepted to it?
I have not heard of anyone being accepted for SJV yet, and I know a few people reached out a few weeks ago and said they were going to be making decisions in the next 2-3 weeks (that’s going on almost 2 weeks ago) so I’m thinking they will be making their decisions pretty soon, within the next week or so (unless they are delayed for some reason). That’s all the info I have at least, hope it helps!

Nov 21, 2019
I have not heard of anyone being accepted for SJV yet, and I know a few people reached out a few weeks ago and said they were going to be making decisions in the next 2-3 weeks (that’s going on almost 2 weeks ago) so I’m thinking they will be making their decisions pretty soon, within the next week or so (unless they are delayed for some reason). That’s all the info I have at least, hope it helps!
thank you!! Fingers crossed that they’re on track! All this waiting is killing me

About the Ads
Jan 22, 2020
Status
Medical Student
as an OOS i was really looking forward to accepted students weekend to get a better feel on the area and see if i could move myself across the country for this school... don’t know how I’m gonna pick a school at this point but we’ll see I guess lol
You could always just visit by yourself. There's not too much of a difference between attending an organized weekend vs going by yourself.

Jun 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Also just got accepted to SJV PRIME too! :) First SJV Interview Date!

For those of y'all accepted to both the UCSF Program and SJV Prime Program, what are some of the considerations y'all are taking to decide between one or the other? Looks like we have until April 30th to decide

sfcd321

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone know if there's a deadline by which we need to accept the awards/modify loan amounts on the financial aid portal?

detritus

2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2017
Status
Anyone know if there's a deadline by which we need to accept the awards/modify loan amounts on the financial aid portal?
I don’t remember reading about a deadline but you can modify your loan amount by submitting a form, so accepting the aid sooner rather than later won’t hurt in any way I don’t think.

Reactions: sfcd321
About the Ads
Aug 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Been looking at my financial aid portal and I'm seeing "not signed" as the status for "Parent Federal Tax Return". CSS has no action items related to a signature. Is this status relevant to me or to the financial aid office? Just wondering how long I have to wait before I get my package details and if this status will delay that.

Feb 24, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Been looking at my financial aid portal and I'm seeing "not signed" as the status for "Parent Federal Tax Return". CSS has no action items related to a signature. Is this status relevant to me or to the financial aid office? Just wondering how long I have to wait before I get my package details and if this status will delay that.
Maybe it's saying your parent's actual tax form is missing their signature. Did you check the signature line of their 1040? And you could always call UCSF's financial aid office. I called a few days ago; they're friendly and helpful!

Aug 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe it's saying your parent's actual tax form is missing their signature. Did you check the signature line of their 1040? And you could always call UCSF's financial aid office. I called a few days ago; they're friendly and helpful!
I sent them an email thinking that they might be busy with phone calls what with the Bay Area lockdown. I'll give them some time to respond but will definitely call if I don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time. Thanks for the info though, glad they could help you out!

premed athlete

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I sent them an email thinking that they might be busy with phone calls what with the Bay Area lockdown. I'll give them some time to respond but will definitely call if I don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time. Thanks for the info though, glad they could help you out!
This happen to me also! I called them last week, there’s a form online your parents need to submit it’s titled the federal tax signature declaration. It’s under forms on the website.You only need one parent to fill it out. Once they submitted it my financial aid was fully complete. So I would do that if they don’t get back to you!

Aug 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
This happen to me also! I called them last week, there’s a form online your parents need to submit it’s titled the federal tax signature declaration. It’s under forms on the website.You only need one parent to fill it out. Once they submitted it my financial aid was fully complete. So I would do that if they don’t get back to you!
Yeah, they emailed me back quickly and we got it all taken care of. Everything looks good on the portal now. I'm just wondering how long it will take to get the award letter ready now.

syn1

5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I hope they don't, and I say that as someone on the WL for whom this is their #1 choice!

The free tuition thing is so stupid. Yeah, let's give the brightest medical students from the best medical schools EVEN MORE money >.>
Most of us are in state and will match top paying residencies...debt is hardly some huge problem compared to other students.

TLDR: it has zero positive impact, and gives some of the most elite and successful individuals in the world even more money. Why not take that money and offer tuition packages to students who sign a contract to practice primary care in rural areas?

UCSF has always seemed like such a mission oriented school with great values, would be a shame to see it reduced to NYU/UCLA prestige grabbing
Our student body is arguably more diverse than any other school in the top 10. Free tuition is idealistic, for sure, but you're misrepresenting us as a bunch of rich kid ivy grad legacies. You'd be surprised. Although we have no problem matching into some of the most competitive specialties, most of our class decides to do primary care... just let that sink in for a second before making a super salty post like this. Good luck on the waitlist!

Sep 16, 2019
Status
Our student body is arguably more diverse than any other school in the top 10. Free tuition is idealistic, for sure, but you're misrepresenting us as a bunch of rich kid ivy grad legacies. You'd be surprised. Although we have no problem matching into some of the most competitive specialties, most of our class decides to do primary care... just let that sink in for a second before making a super salty post like this. Good luck on the waitlist!
Then make it tuition free for everyone who decides to do primary care in underserved areas :)

Problem solved?

Again, tuition free at one of the best medical schools in the country where I bet over half the people match into super competitive high paying specialties makes no sense, that's the exact same thing as saying we should be giving millionaires an extra tax break.

Also there's a lot of strawmen here...I don't remember ever commenting on the identity of the student body, or whether they are legacies...pretty sure UCSF is awesome in the sense that they make things super blind (not contacting interviewers for one) so they have a very low degree of that.

And yes, thank you for your well wishes :)

Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk more about it, this thread is for the school admissions. Hope to share the good news come April 30 lol

Sep 16, 2019
Status
What was your title code? STUDNT?
On a more productive note: I love the whole mystery admissions gossiping that happened on other threads like Pitt, so lets get this started: maybe STUDENT means they already accepted you secretly XD

Reactions: CoitusInterruptus

syn1

5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Again, tuition free at one of the best medical schools in the country where I bet over half the people match into super competitive high paying specialties makes no sense, that's the exact same thing as saying we should be giving millionaires an extra tax break.
This is where you are misunderstanding, and you would lose that bet. Knowing UCSF, they would likely roll out free tuition to PRIME programs before regular MD, so I'm not sure what you are griping about, and it also won't happen soon enough to affect you either.

Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk more about it, this thread is for the school admissions. Hope to share the good news come April 30 lol
Says the person who looked down on NYU/UCLA for how they decided to spend their money on the UCSF thread. If you have a problem with those schools (or UCSF for that matter), don't go there. Problem solved.

Apr 3, 2018
Status
Dental Student
@syn1 So.... it seems like you are a current UCSF student. How likely is this free tuition initiative to happen in the next year or two? Seems like Dean Wofsy talked about this as a major selling point to interviewees. Any insider info?

About the Ads