2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do those who interviewed remember what Dean Wofsy said about UCSF's plans to offer free tuition? I know he said the words "soon" and "priority," but I don't recall much beyond that.

Back when I interviewed in September, I do remember Dean Wofsy mentioning it and saying it was a big priority for the administration, but that there's no real guarantees of anything happening anytime soon...
but it would seriously be insane if they were able to implement something in the coming school year though

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do those who interviewed remember what Dean Wofsy said about UCSF's plans to offer free tuition? I know he said the words "soon" and "priority," but I don't recall much beyond that.
On interview day, I remember him saying they'd need $350 million to do that. They've got some people in mind to seek donations from, but it's nowhere close to becoming a reality. It seemed like a 5-10 year goal to me.

On interview day, I remember him saying they'd need $350 million to do that. They've got some people in mind to seek donations from, but it's nowhere close to becoming a reality. It seemed like a 5-10 year goal to me.

Or just an ideal even. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it me or I feel like people who interviewed before the first wave got WL whereas ppl who interviewed after December were mostly As?

Is it me or I feel like people who interviewed before the first wave got WL whereas ppl who interviewed after December were mostly As?

n=1 here homie, but jan interview w/ a WL! i actually know more people that got the WL than the A from UCSF (by a lot), so do with that what you will.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s likely not the case. In December, the batch of decisions that were sent out was pretty large so many people received a decision in one night.
Every batch released after that point was a lot smaller. A MS1 who works in admissions told me this.
Response bias is likely the best explanation for why it seems like their were only A’s after December. SDN really isn’t representative but we all know that

Reactions: 2 users

I hope they don't, and I say that as someone on the WL for whom this is their #1 choice!

The free tuition thing is so stupid. Yeah, let's give the brightest medical students from the best medical schools EVEN MORE money >.>
Most of us are in state and will match top paying residencies...debt is hardly some huge problem compared to other students.

TLDR: it has zero positive impact, and gives some of the most elite and successful individuals in the world even more money. Why not take that money and offer tuition packages to students who sign a contract to practice primary care in rural areas?

UCSF has always seemed like such a mission oriented school with great values, would be a shame to see it reduced to NYU/UCLA prestige grabbing

• Dislike
I hope they don't, and I say that as someone on the WL for whom this is their #1 choice!

The free tuition thing is so stupid. Yeah, let's give the brightest medical students from the best medical schools EVEN MORE money >.>
Most of us are in state and will match top paying residencies...debt is hardly some huge problem compared to other students.

TLDR: it has zero positive impact, and gives some of the most elite and successful individuals in the world even more money. Why not take that money and offer tuition packages to students who sign a contract to practice primary care in rural areas?

UCSF has always seemed like such a mission oriented school with great values, would be a shame to see it reduced to NYU/UCLA prestige grabbing
I don’t think it’s just prestige grabbing, it’s recruitment. They probably lose a lot of students who would otherwise go to UCSF because of the COA. Why not make your school more attractive to students who may have better financial aid packages? Yes UCSF is a top school, but no school is 100k-200k dollars better than Columbia, (just today) Stanford, and other places that have committed a lot of money to reducing students’ debt.

I don’t think it’s just prestige grabbing, it’s recruitment. They probably lose a lot of students who would otherwise go to UCSF because of the COA. Why not make your school more attractive to students who may have better financial aid packages? Yes UCSF is a top school, but no school is 100k-200k dollars better than Columbia, (just today) Stanford, and other places that have committed a lot of money to reducing students’ debt.

Gunning for "better" students = Prestige grabbing haha.

And again, that's millions of dollars that could have been used to actually do good, instead some billionaire gets duped by wiley adcoms who make it seem like it will help solve the rural healthcare crisis (lol! Fancy NYU ROADS residency person who will practice in New York, except now with no debt either).

TLDR: millions of dollars spent to shift a few hundred student allegiances from one T20 school to another.

Geffen is such a ***** haha. Imagine that money spent on some primary care initiative.

Anywho, I'll leave it at that. UCSF is still awesome and stands for something, and Im still excited for it and anyone who is lucky enough to get in :)

Gunning for "better" students = Prestige grabbing haha.

And again, that's millions of dollars that could have been used to actually do good, instead some billionaire gets duped by wiley adcoms who make it seem like it will help solve the rural healthcare crisis (lol! Fancy NYU ROADS residency person who will practice in New York, except now with no debt either).

TLDR: millions of dollars spent to shift a few hundred student allegiances from one T20 school to another.

Geffen is such a ***** haha. Imagine that money spent on some primary care initiative.

Anywho, I'll leave it at that. UCSF is still awesome and stands for something, and Im still excited for it and anyone who is lucky enough to get in :)

I can see your point, but I'd like to think that UCSF's primary goal is to make medical education financially attainable, not to prestige-grab. UCSF's already very well-regarded, so I don't know how much more clout they'd stand to gain. I'm assuming that you mean high-stats students when you say "better" students, because NYU's GPA/MCAT stats bumped up after they offered free tuition. Obvs free tuition would increase the pool of applicants, which would inevitably increase the # of high stat applicants , which may lead to an increase in # of admitted students with high stats. I feel like UCSF would continue to choose students who fit their mission, through all ranges of stats. At least that's the vibe I got from my interview and interacting with UCSF ppl.

And I don't think it's fair to call Geffen a "*****" for his donation to UCLA. That scholarship fund is allowing lots of well-deserving people to graduate debt-free-- why is that a bad thing? UCLA has committees to review who gets the money, so they're not just automatically throwing money at the students with highest MCAT/GPA. There's lots of ways that money can be spent, and no one's going to be perfectly happy with how it's allocated, but at least Geffen donated!

Anyway, with that said, I'm hoping that the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative comes through in a big way for us in 2020.

Reactions: 3 users
Please excuse the neuroticism, but will getting Bs post interview hurt my chances on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they require transcript updates, so I don't see how.

I wouldn't recommend failing any classes though.

After the interview, they did send that course update form tho, which makes me paranoid if they will ask again pre-waitlist movement

Where is everyone planning on staying for the accepted students weekend?

Anyone that's still waiting to hear back think it will be today? Thought it might come yesterday, my palms were sweating all day.

Waitlisted :/ Hopefully there’s some movement!

For those waitlisted and those applying 2020-2021: Dean Wofesy told us at our interview that 1/3 of interviewees are accepted, 1/3 are waitlisted, and 1/3 are rejected. He said of the waitlisted students, 1/2 of them are eventually accepted. I don't know if that number will change with board examination changes. But MSAR only shows that 50/150 matriculated, which is a deceiving 33%. Not everyone who is accepted will matriculate. So # accepted > # matriculated. Best of luck to the waitlist members and anyone still waiting to hear back. Can't wait to start here later this year!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Waitlisted in december :( - just wanted to follow this thread. Planning on sending LOI/update/everything I own next month haha

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You should def fill out the FAFSA for everywhere you have interviewed at ...

For the WL-ers: Should we also fill out the CSS? $25 isn't ridiculous but this is the only school that's asked for it and I don't want to pay for no reason....

I checked the financial aid portal and my award for 2020-2021 was available, no email. If you submitted everything, I would check your reward.

Edit: Nm, just got email.

Got the award letter. 15,000 scholarship but apparently 2,500 of it isn't yet guaranteed because my COLS eligibility has yet to be determined? Does anyone else have this?
I have the COLS 'eligibility to be determined' thing too. They're first going to check if you live in an off-campus housing before they disburse that to you. Do you know if the amount listed under "grants and scholarships" are a one-time thing, or will they be renewed every year assuming one's financial conditions don't change?

Anyone else waiting for second look to be cancelled? :( really looking forward to it but so many other schools have been cancelling

• Sad
Anyone else waiting for second look to be cancelled? :( really looking forward to it but so many other schools have been cancelling
I think it will be a likely event. UCSF cancelled their annual mentor ship program "inside UCSF", so....

Does anyone know how receptive financial aid is to negotiating offers? Since it’s all need-based it seems unlikely, but thought I’d ask anyways.

Regarding financial aid: does anyone know why the budget total does not match the awards total? Should the two not be equal?

• Hmm
Cancelled..... nonrefundable reservations. I understand why it had to be done but man that's painful.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
as an OOS i was really looking forward to accepted students weekend to get a better feel on the area and see if i could move myself across the country for this school... don’t know how I’m gonna pick a school at this point but we’ll see I guess lol

Hey everyone! I got on the alternate list on Monday :( but I also interviewed for SJV prime and haven’t heard anything about my status with them - any other SJV prime applicants out there know when we can expect to hear back? Or has anyone been accepted to it?

• Love
Accepted students weekend was just cancelled via email.

Has anyone’s request recently been accepted to the accepted students FB page? I’ve been waiting for like two weeks

• Hmm
Accepted students weekend was just cancelled via email.

Has anyone’s request recently been accepted to the accepted students FB page? I’ve been waiting for like two weeks
would you mind quoting the email? I didn't receive it for some reason

Hey everyone! I got on the alternate list on Monday :( but I also interviewed for SJV prime and haven’t heard anything about my status with them - any other SJV prime applicants out there know when we can expect to hear back? Or has anyone been accepted to it?

I have not heard of anyone being accepted for SJV yet, and I know a few people reached out a few weeks ago and said they were going to be making decisions in the next 2-3 weeks (that’s going on almost 2 weeks ago) so I’m thinking they will be making their decisions pretty soon, within the next week or so (unless they are delayed for some reason). That’s all the info I have at least, hope it helps!

I have not heard of anyone being accepted for SJV yet, and I know a few people reached out a few weeks ago and said they were going to be making decisions in the next 2-3 weeks (that’s going on almost 2 weeks ago) so I’m thinking they will be making their decisions pretty soon, within the next week or so (unless they are delayed for some reason). That’s all the info I have at least, hope it helps!

thank you!! Fingers crossed that they’re on track! All this waiting is killing me