2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL invite just now, Interviewed mid October. Can’t say I’m overjoyed but definitely not mad either, were in for the long haul folks lol

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted friends...any idea about movement from last year? Interviewed December.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted friends...any idea about movement from last year? Interviewed December.
Based off what some current students have told me as well as SDN from last year a lot of movement happens early May

Got that waitlist, interviewed 1/13. Just glad to hear some kind of news back.

• Sad
after accepting waitlist, does portal say Decided

I would try and be optimistic, but trust me I know it's hard. I was complete for UNC at the end of July too and heard back from them last week! Their cycle looks like it runs really late each year. I hope you hear back soon!
Oldjoe97 is a top tier applicant don't let him fool you. he's lived through several generations and mastered Haman completely. unc had no option but to accept

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait listed. Just got the email. Interviewed 10/28

Thats a big ass waitlist... I'm gonna guess 200 slots give or take

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
According to the interview spreadsheet, UNC accepts a total of 172 applicants with 151 matriculants. Does this mean only 21 people get accepted off the waitlist?

EDIT: This is in-state date just to clarify. For out of state, there is a total of 62 OOS applicants accepted, with 30 matriculants. So I am guessing 32 people get off of the waitlist if OOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
WL interview 10/14 OOS

dang seems like there’s a lot of us! best of luck to everyone else.

• Love
endgame.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Love
I’m still trying to wrap my mind around having waited for 5 months only to find out I need to wait for atleast 2-3 more months. Lollllll #whatislife

Reactions: 6 users
WL as well. I know they do not know how volatile this year will be, but previous year's data would be helpful as a baseline though.

Thats a big ass waitlist... I'm gonna guess 200 slots give or take
You really think around 200? That’s a lot.... I mean 600ish kids interviewed, around 200 accepted... so they’re waitlisting 50% of the remaining 400?

I mean in the email they bolded fact they won’t tell us anything, so it looks like we have plenty of time for evaluating our odds on here and I’m all for it

Just got the WL. rip

• Sad
According to the interview spreadsheet, UNC accepts a total of 172 applicants with 151 matriculants. Does this mean only 21 people get accepted off the waitlist?

EDIT: This is in-state date just to clarify. For out of state, there is a total of 62 OOS applicants accepted, with 30 matriculants. So I am guessing 32 people get off of the waitlist if OOS.

I think it's slightly different. Correct me if I'm wrong:

Those 21 IS students who were accepted decided to go elsewhere, hence 151 IS matriculants. Thus, the IS yield would be 151/172 = 88%. OOS yield would be 30/62 = 48%.

These yields seem kind of high tbh.

Class size would be 151 + 30 = 181 given the data above.

Those 21 IS students who were accepted decided to go elsewhere, hence 151 IS matriculants. Thus, the IS yield would be 151/172 = 88%. OOS yield would be 30/62 = 48%.

Yeah idk how y'all are getting those numbers but they're not right. UNC accepts a little over 200 outright. Unsure how long the waitlist is, but I've heard that they made it longer this year.

so do you think more people than 21 people got off the waitlist?

Yeah idk how y'all are getting those numbers but they're not right. UNC accepts a little over 200 outright. Unsure how long the waitlist is, but I've heard that they made it longer this year.

I don't know where @anotherpremedlurker got the data from- just referencing that. Also, based on that data, the total accepted would be ~230, which isn't far off from 200.

What is the class size here? I just can't imagine the yield being so high (70%+).

Edit: I guess it can be that high, especially for IS students.

so do you think more people than 21 people got off the waitlist?

I personally think so, but that's just my opinion. I'm just surprised if they only accept 250 people for a class size of ~180.

Interviewed with faculty 9/13 and still awaiting decision. Hard to believe if my decision were a baby we would be close to entering its third trimester

Well ladies and gentleman, it's with great joy that I can announce with my waitlist acceptance my decision will come full term

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
You really think around 200? That’s a lot.... I mean 600ish kids interviewed, around 200 accepted... so they’re waitlisting 50% of the remaining 400?

I mean in the email they bolded fact they won’t tell us anything, so it looks like we have plenty of time for evaluating our odds on here and I’m all for it
Remember that a lot of post-II applicants have already been rejected. And aside from those that do not post on SDN, many that do understandable choose not to post.
Staying optimistic!

US News says the following (presumably last year data, although doesn't say):

Total accepted: 267
Total enrolled: 190

In-state accepted: 198
In-state enrolled: 152

OOS accepted: 69
OOS enrolled: 38

This suggests that ~50 people came off the waitlist (assuming they fill the class entirely before making a waitlist). It is also possible that they fill the class 90% or so before making a waitlist which would mean more coming off the waitlist. If they increase the class size this year, we might expect even more than 50 coming off the waitlist.

Godspeed to you all.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
So does anyone know when they start to accept people from the wait list? Just as people decline their offers of admission? Or do they do it in waves like normal admissions?

Previous threads have said the waitlist is unranked... is that true? Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing tbh

So does anyone know when they start to accept people from the wait list? Just as people decline their offers of admission? Or do they do it in waves like normal admissions?
So to answer my own question, on last years thread no one posted about getting in off the wait list until April 29, then several more within the next few weeks after the mandatory decision date of April 30. So looks like we’re in it for the long haul team

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Previous threads have said the waitlist is unranked... is that true? Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing tbh
It might be unranked but I find it hard to believe it’s random. Maybe they evaluate waitlisters as spots become available?

It might be unranked but I find it hard to believe it’s random. Maybe they evaluate waitlisters as spots become available?
I’ve been told it’s based on how similar the WL applicant is to whoever decided to withdraw their acceptances. Not sure if that’s in termS of stats, experiences or demographics but I would assume a combination of the 3.

• Wow
Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back regarding financial aid and scholarships?

Reactions: 3 users
For the scholarship application did most people fill out the "additional factors" section? I'm not sure if they are looking for an essay or just something specific related to one's financial situation.

For the scholarship application did most people fill out the "additional factors" section? I'm not sure if they are looking for an essay or just something specific related to one's financial situation.
I sort of read the info from the listed scholarships and wrote a few sentences that connected to those.