2019-2020 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
Q1) You are asked to highlight specific examples of how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).

1) UMass Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Each person in our community brings a unique set of strengths, experiences and perspectives. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMMS community. (Diversity)

2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)

3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)

4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)

5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)

6) Describe a time when you have "thought outside the box" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)

7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)

Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation - for example, grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application. (250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in UMass SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMMS Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to UMass SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why are you interested in UMass SOM? What will you bring to your class and the SOM community? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

MD-PhD
Q6) Please describe why the UMMS MD/PhD program is your choice for training as a physician and a scientist. (200 word limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Massachusetts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know when they typically post prompts?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the secondary, but making it open is an absolute mess. I used the username and password they provided and it took me to this page, which looks nothing like a secondary and trust me I've clicked around and found nothing resembling what I'm looking for. so can't really update yall on the questions.

Update: made it work but after actually reading the email they sent.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 157
Yeah I can't even get my username to work :/ Why they gotta make it so hard to login.

Edit: Cute, tried a different link to log in and now it says my account is locked. U Mass whyyyyyyyy

Last edited by a moderator:
Received the MD-PhD secondary, but I'm trying to reset my password like they told me to but the system won't let me...? It says "You can change your password in 1 day." ???? Is anyone else having this issue? Why is this so complicated?

Reactions: 3 users
I just got the secondary, but making it open is an absolute mess. I used the username and password they provided and it took me to this page, which looks nothing like a secondary and trust me I've clicked around and found nothing resembling what I'm looking for. so can't really update yall on the questions.

Update: made it work but after actually reading the email they sent.

I was able to find the supplement, you have to go to Self Service, then Student Center, then click Supplementary Application in the admissions section

Received the MD-PhD secondary, but I'm trying to reset my password like they told me to but the system won't let me...? It says "You can change your password in 1 day." ???? Is anyone else having this issue? Why is this so complicated?
it's saying that on mine too... this is so frustrating

so looks like I can just go through with it without changing the password. Should I just use the algorithm password and ignore what it says about resetting?

Secondary prompts (slightly different from last year):

Q1) You are asked to highlight specific examples of how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).

1) UMass Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Each person in our community brings a unique set of strengths, experiences and perspectives. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMMS community. (Diversity)

2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)

3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)

4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)

5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)

6) Describe a time when you have "thought outside the box" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)

7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)

Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation - for example, grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application. (250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in UMass SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMMS Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to UMass SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why are you interested in UMass SOM? What will you bring to your class and the SOM community? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

MD-PhD
Q6) Please describe why the UMMS MD/PhD program is your choice for training as a physician and a scientist. (200 word limit)

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so looks like I can just go through with it without changing the password. Should I just use the algorithm password and ignore what it says about resetting?

I'm gonna email them about the password issue but for now I'll just be using the algorithm password.

For the recommendation section, it lets us select a few choices like "science instructor", "pre-med advisor", "other" for each of our recommendations. Should our committee letter be classified as "pre-med advisor"? This seems the most correct, but it is strange that they don't just have committee letter as an option seeing as it is a way to meet their letter requirement

Are we filling out the 2004 application? This software is ancient!

Reactions: 4 users
For the upload photo part, it says,

"If you wish, you may upload a photo (.jpeg file only) of yourself. You will be able to upload one image, delete it and then upload another image. The final photo uploaded will be seen as part of your application. Photo quality should be average; a smartphone image or similar should be used and not a professional quality photo."

so if I have a photo that was taken by a professional (looks very professional), I should just not upload it? and keep it blank?

"If you wish, you may upload a photo (.jpeg file only) of yourself. You will be able to upload one image, delete it and then upload another image. The final photo uploaded will be seen as part of your application. Photo quality should be average; a smartphone image or similar should be used and not a professional quality photo."

so if I have a photo that was taken by a professional (looks very professional), I should just not upload it? and keep it blank?

Lol I was just wondering that, like they really want me to whip out my phone and take some weird, ugly photo of myself when I have perfectly nice professional-looking ones :rage:

I am confused by the prompt for the PURCH track...

"Please describe how a focus on population health, healthcare disparities, and the community as a patient will benefit you in your training and/or career? Please limit your response to less than or equal to 500 words."

What does it mean by "as a patient"? I think I know what it's asking but the wording is definitely off...

I am confused by the prompt for the PURCH track...

"Please describe how a focus on population health, healthcare disparities, and the community as a patient will benefit you in your training and/or career? Please limit your response to less than or equal to 500 words."

What does it mean by "as a patient"? I think I know what it's asking but the wording is definitely off...

I think it means treating the community as a whole and addressing broader structural issues rather than the patient in isolation.

Also, my application seems to be marked as complete and my LOR as received on the secondary even though my committee letter has def not been sent yet ... is this the case for anyone else?

Also, my application seems to be marked as complete and my LOR as received on the secondary even though my committee letter has def not been sent yet ... is this the case for anyone else?
my application says they have my committee letter even though it has not been uploaded.. so yes? even though i haven't submitted yet?

I would abuse this application system. I really could not see whether the essay questions are. And by setting up the Self-Service Password Reset Tool, it actually leads me to the Microsoft Login Page.

I would abuse this application system. I really could not see whether the essay questions are. And by setting up the Self-Service Password Reset Tool, it actually leads me to the Microsoft Login Page.

Same. I just skipped that step altogether

Does anyone know if admissions reviewers will see both my MD application as well as my PURCH application together?
Should I write how I want to be a part of PURCH in the why Umass question even though I am going in depth about it in my PURCH essay?

Hi jjsoxo,
I am a current student, and when I was going through the application cycle, it said the same thing. Since I already had a professional photo taken, I submitted it. They didn't write back to me indicating there was a problem, and I ended up being accepted, so I think it is fine. The only thing I can figure is maybe they don't want applicants to feel like they have to spend money on a professional shot. Just a guess.
Good luck!

Anyone else still waiting for the secondary? I wasn't verified until this week, so hopefully I haven't been overlooked...

Anyone else still waiting for the secondary? I wasn't verified until this week, so hopefully I haven't been overlooked...
Don't worry. I was verified a few weeks ago and just got it last week. Every school wants your money. It will happen

Is the "Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation" prompt optional? I don't have anything that matches their given descriptions and I feel like I don't have anything else to explain? This doesn't seem like an "additional comments" essay....or is this how others are approaching it regardless of the different wording?

Submitted; only got payment email.
However the status on the portal says under consideration.

Update: received my complete email this evening

Last edited:
"Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation - for example, grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application."

Do you think it is OK to leave this blank if there's nothing else that requires further explanation?

"Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation - for example, grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application."

Do you think it is OK to leave this blank if there's nothing else that requires further explanation?

Absolutely. I didn't fill it out. If nothing they listed applies to you, there's no need.

Is anybody having trouble opening up the link to the secondary? I have had success before but today the link is not loading and I am getting a"Employee-facing registry content" as a header for the opened up tab?
Just checked for you. I have 0 issues logging in and seeing my current status.

Verified 7/18/19
Secondary Received 7/22/19
Secondary Submitted and Under Consideration 7/30/19

So either SDN is a poor sample size or they are running later than usual.

Possibly running late, I called them a week ago about something and they mentioned offhand that they are running into issues for the secondary portal.

Secondary submitted 7/30/19
Complete 7/31/19

Any insights as to how much they value early submission of secondaries? I am considering submitting at the end of August.. I realize it is not ideal, but I have other schools I am prioritizing.

Any insights as to how much they value early submission of secondaries? I am considering submitting at the end of August.. I realize it is not ideal, but I have other schools I am prioritizing.
The prompt submission of secondaries is pretty universally regarded. Certainly prioritize your schools, but keep at it until they are all in as soon as possible.

Did anyone get an email from the IT help desk about 2-factor authentication?