2020-2021 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Massachusetts

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

I also thought that, but it says Case isn't reviewing until August 3 and I got their secondary this past week, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I assume all schools are doing things a little differently this year, so we'll just have to wait and see

@TheDataKing

Q1) You are asked to highlight specific examples of how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).
  • 1) UMass Medical School strives to be a diverse community mindful that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Each person in our community brings a unique set of strengths, experiences and perspectives. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMMS community. (Diversity)

• 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)

• 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)

• 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)

• 5) Describe a situation where poor communication had a negative impact. What did you do to improve it? (Communication)

• 6) Describe a time when you have used your ingenuity to solve a problem. (Inquiry)

• 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)

Received later this afternoon, in state. Prompts are below:

Q1) You are asked to highlight specific examples of how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).
  • 1) UMass Medical School strives to be a diverse community mindful that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Each person in our community brings a unique set of strengths, experiences and perspectives. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMMS community. (Diversity)

• 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)

• 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)

• 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)

• 5) Describe a situation where poor communication had a negative impact. What did you do to improve it? (Communication)

• 6) Describe a time when you have used your ingenuity to solve a problem. (Inquiry)

• 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)

Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences.If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application.(250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in UMass SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMMS Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to UMass SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) What is your greatest strength? What are you going to contribute to the UMMS community?

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Does someone mind posting the PURCH Track secondary prompt?

Does someone mind posting the PURCH Track secondary prompt?

Of course.

"Please describe how a focus on population health and healthcare disparities will benefit you in your training and/or career? Please limit your response to less than or equal to 500 words."

Reactions: 1 user
Of course.

"Please describe how a focus on population health and healthcare disparities will benefit you in your training and/or career? Please limit your response to less than or equal to 500 words."
Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Q4) What is your greatest strength? What are you going to contribute to the UMMS community?

I am pretty disappointed that they chose to replace the Why Us prompt with this. Almost feels like a second diversity prompt just tweaked slightly

In the residency validation form, question 4 asks:
"Are you financially dependent on your parent(s) or guardian? Slide right if 'Yes'."

Is this asking for right now? Or Whether I will be financially dependent in medical school? Presently, yes, i am dependent on my parents. but i'll be independent in med school.

Is there a secondary application fee to pay somewhere I am missing? Did anyone receive an email after submitting?

Is there a secondary application fee to pay somewhere I am missing? Did anyone receive an email after submitting?
Not sure if you found it already, but if you login to the main portal there's a section that says Pay Application Fee!

Not sure if you found it already, but if you login to the main portal there's a section that says Pay Application Fee!
I do not see that section at all. Are you applying MD? I am applying MD/PhD - I had one school waive the fee for MD/PhD applications, but UMass didn't say anything about that. Did you receive a confirmation email after submitting, if you submitted already? I didn't, which is why I am worried I am not paying a fee somewhere.

I do not see that section at all. Are you applying MD? I am applying MD/PhD - I had one school waive the fee for MD/PhD applications, but UMass didn't say anything about that. Did you receive a confirmation email after submitting, if you submitted already? I didn't, which is why I am worried I am not paying a fee somewhere.
Update: secondary application fee is waived for MD/PhD applications!

Received later this afternoon, in state. Prompts are below:

Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences.If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application.(250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in UMass SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMMS Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to UMass SOM. (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Is Q4 also 200 word limit? Thanks

Has anyone gotten anything from VITA yet? I know they said we would receive an email once our app was complete, but I finished about a week ago and it says "Under Review", but still haven't received the VITA email.

I think the VITA email only gets sent to you if they decide they want to interview you. I might be wrong though.

I think the VITA email only gets sent to you if they decide they want to interview you. I might be wrong though.
Nah they'll ask everyone who is complete to do VITA. I found this in their email when i got the secondary:

"All applicants who have completed all components of the School of Medicine application will be invited to record the AAMC Virtual Interview (VITA). HireVue, the video interviewing platform for the VITA, will send an invitation to you. We allow two weeks for you to complete the VITA. Please note that the VITA does not replace our MMI interview but will be used as part of the holistic review process. Some applicants who complete VITA will be not be invited to participate in our virtual MMI."

Nah they'll ask everyone who is complete to do VITA. I found this in their email when i got the secondary:

"All applicants who have completed all components of the School of Medicine application will be invited to record the AAMC Virtual Interview (VITA). HireVue, the video interviewing platform for the VITA, will send an invitation to you. We allow two weeks for you to complete the VITA. Please note that the VITA does not replace our MMI interview but will be used as part of the holistic review process. Some applicants who complete VITA will be not be invited to participate in our virtual MMI."

Did y'all receive any emails from VITA for UMass yet?

Has anyone gotten anything from VITA yet? I know they said we would receive an email once our app was complete, but I finished about a week ago and it says "Under Review", but still haven't received the VITA email.
VITA won't be sent out until August.

'The AAMC VITA interview will be offered completely online between August 2020 and April 2021.'

For discussing the grades, do you think its worth discussing one D? I retook it for an A and was a learning opportunity for me but there wasnt like some traumatic event that occurred.
I think that if there's nothing else super important to discuss in this area, it won't hurt to mention it. They will see it on your transcript (I'm assuming), so you may just want to mention this and the growth that resulted from the experience.

How are people tackling the diversity prompt? It seems they specifically want you to discuss how your diversity added to some other activity and then how it will add to their school. Very specific for just 200 words. And then the final "what is your greatest strength and what will you add?" Seems redundant, not sure how to approach this one.

How are people tackling the diversity prompt? It seems they specifically want you to discuss how your diversity added to some other activity and then how it will add to their school. Very specific for just 200 words. And then the final "what is your greatest strength and what will you add?" Seems redundant, not sure how to approach this one.
For diversity, I spoke about a specific anecdotal experience. For the final one, I talked about aspects of my personality/character that I think are major strengths of mine, but also will benefit me in medical school and with patient care!

For diversity, I spoke about a specific anecdotal experience. For the final one, I talked about aspects of my personality/character that I think are major strengths of mine, but also will benefit me in medical school and with patient care!
Thank you for the insight, I greatly appreciate it! I just finished the first diversity one and ended up writing about a specific EC experience of mine where my background let me produce change and then tried to tie it back to UMass.

Thank you for the insight, I greatly appreciate it! I just finished the first diversity one and ended up writing about a specific EC experience of mine where my background let me produce change and then tried to tie it back to UMass.
That sounds perfect!

I got an email today from VITA, saying "congratulations you have been invited to complete the AAMC VITA", but I have no idea what school has "invited me"? So I am so confused.

I got an email today from VITA, saying "congratulations you have been invited to complete the AAMC VITA", but I have no idea what school has "invited me"? So I am so confused.
SAME!! lol just got it this morning! Apparently you can see it after you complete the interview

Lol but how do we know if the school that invited us has a deadline

Just got the VITA email(s)! I think I got 3 emails, and the 3rd one finally showed that UMass was the one that sent the invite

Edit: In-state and my application portal has said "under review" since I checked around a week ago

Got 3 VITA emails- third finally specified that UMass had sent the invite. OOS.

Just got the VITA email(s)! I think I got 3 emails, and the 3rd one finally showed that UMass was the one that sent the invite

Edit: In-state and my application portal has said "under review" since I checked around a week ago
Can confirm I just got the 3rd email! So UMass also does their own interview after the VITA? Seems like so much extra work D:

Can confirm I just got the 3rd email! So UMass also does their own interview after the VITA? Seems like so much extra work D:

Does getting a VITA guarantee that you'll also get an in-person invite lol? Or do they use the VITA to also screen for interviews? I'm nervous about the virtual interviewing platform/feel like I'm not great at talking into a void haha

Reactions: 2 users
Does getting a VITA guarantee that you'll also get an in-person invite lol? Or do they use the VITA to also screen for interviews? I'm nervous about the virtual interviewing platform/feel like I'm not great at talking into a void haha

No VITA is sent to everyone who completes the secondary at UMass. Some schools only send VITA with an actual II but not UMass unfortunately.