2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Washington University in St. Louis

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is 523+ will most likely get a look from WUSTL with a low GPA.

Is admission to the School of Medicine guaranteed?
To continue to medical school as a University Scholar, you will need to fulfill all entrance requirements. Your pre-professional advisor will work with you as an undergraduate to make sure that you fulfill the prerequisites for medical school. You will also need to maintain an overall minimum 3.8 grade point average (GPA) and achieve a minimum total score on the Medical College Admissions Test (equal to or above the 97th percentile). If your GPA or MCAT are below this minimum, your eligibility for graduate study will be up to the School of Medicine's discretion.

This is from the combined BS/MD program website and it roughly translates to 75 or more on LizzyM. However, 3.8 from WUSTL is not an easy GPA and mostly likely their graduates with auto admission are at 78-80 rather than 75 since students with those GPAs will score 98 to 99th percentile.

Last year's MSTP prompt was: Briefly describe the area of research you would like to explore in graduate school. (1800 chars)

Besides describing your own research interests, does anyone think we should talk about the relevant department at WashU and mention any faculty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's MSTP prompt was: Briefly describe the area of research you would like to explore in graduate school. (1800 chars)

Besides describing your own research interests, does anyone think we should talk about the relevant department at WashU and mention any faculty?

It wouldn’t hurt, but don’t come across as too narrowly focused. For various reasons you may not get to work with your number 1 choice of faculty mentors.

Reactions: 1 users
WashU's admissions packet says "three required letters with an additional optional letter from someone who knows you well. On MSAR it says maximum of 6. Do you think it's okay to submit 5 letters? I wasn't sure how strict they are about number of letters.

Secondary received a minute ago, will post when I get the chance

EDIT: Secondary essays @PapaGuava

1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year?
Yes/No
Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 character)

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (optional) (3000 characters)

3. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional) (3000 characters)
Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary received at 904 PST

Last edited by a moderator:
WashU doesn't require Casper right? Strange that they ask if you've taken it

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary is asking if we took CASPer, but there is no option to send my score to WashU on the CASPer site. Am I missing something or are they just asking for research purposes?

Secondary is asking if we took CASPer, but there is no option to send my score to WashU on the CASPer site. Am I missing something or are they just asking for research purposes?
My guess is they are wondering how much of their applicant pool overlaps with other Schools that require Casper, and in future cycles or maybe even later this cycle they might add them selves in there if a large enough portion of their applicants have already taken it. That would be my best guess.

Reactions: 3 users
Of course I get interrupted as I'm recording my name...no way to redo it. Be careful!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Their background check section says that we have to agree to be drug tested for THC? Anyone know more about this lol? I'm guessing it's because it's in Missouri

Their background check section says that we have to agree to be drug tested for THC? Anyone know more about this lol? I'm guessing it's because it's in Missouri
You will be drug tested for THC at every school you go to. Marijuana is still illegal at the federal level and is only legal in like 10 states for recreation. I am not personally saying it is bad, but even if made legal on a federal level you will likely still be tested for THC at any medical school, residency, or hospital for the foreseeable future.

My recording also got messed up... ugh! Hopefully they add a way to redo it!

I shot them an email...I figure it doesn't actually matter but I'm also incredibly embarrassed

I shot them an email...I figure it doesn't actually matter but I'm also incredibly embarrassed

Good call! Let us know if they update a way to fix it

I just submitted and it says my letters of reference are missing - does anyone else have this problem?

Just how optional are these "optional" essays?

I just submitted and it says my letters of reference are missing - does anyone else have this problem?

+1 for just submitted and +1 for system saying my LoRs are missing. They probably just need to process them.

Just how optional are these "optional" essays?
They are optional so you likely won't be penalized for leaving blank. However, it would behoove you to utilize space productively if you feel you have contributory information.

can someone help me login to the secondary? when I press on the link in the email it prompts me to choose either returning student or staff. did this happen to anyone?

can someone help me login to the secondary? when I press on the link in the email it prompts me to choose either returning student or staff. did this happen to anyone?
Use the returning student one. Then put in the username and password they gave you in the email.

I've almost had a heart attack a few times after accidentally pressing the "withdraw application" button under "communication status."

If anyone gets their letters completed, update the thread so we know to bombard them with emails that ours haven't gone through lol

Anyone still see their letter marked as "not received" even though the letters were already in AMCAS long time ago?

WUSTL always has this issue.

Anyone still see their letter marked as "not received" even though the letters were already in AMCAS long time ago?
Yes, but I don’t think WashU is starting to file things until the 10th (at least according to their home page on the secondary).

Ah make me feel much better. You guys are the best!

Yes, but I don’t think WashU is starting to file things until the 10th (at least according to their home page on the secondary).

It also says "Letters of recommendation will not display as received until your applicaiton [sic] has been processed. Processing can take up to 10 business days."

So I'm going to force myself to chill for 10 business days and hope that I don't forget to check by then lol

Of course I get interrupted as I'm recording my name...no way to redo it. Be careful!
Any updates on this? I also ended up with a corrupted recording.
The thrilling conclusion...the admissions team deleted my original recording, allowing me to record a corrected one. They did not add a way to redo the recording in the secondary. If you've had issues with this, you will need to email the admissions team individually to be able to redo your recording.

Reactions: 2 users
The thrilling conclusion...the admissions team deleted my original recording, allowing me to record a corrected one. They did not add a way to redo the recording in the secondary. If you've had issues with this, you will need to email the admissions team individually to be able to redo your recording.
Reminds me of Steve Weibe, the guy who beat the Donkey Kong world record back in 2006. His original submission at around 5 hours in his son comes down the stairs yelling "Daddy! Stop playing Donkey Kong and WIPE MY BUTT. I have POOOOP." Classic.