2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question on the "documents" section. It says you can upload documents such as CV/Resume and Research related prompts (abstracts). As someone who has been heavily involved in research for the past two years (and upcoming year), would you suggest that I send an abstract of my work? I am not applying to PHD/MD but am still interested in having research roles throughout my career.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question on the "documents" section. It says you can upload documents such as CV/Resume and Research related prompts (abstracts). As someone who has been heavily involved in research for the past two years (and upcoming year), would you suggest that I send an abstract of my work? I am not applying to PHD/MD but am still interested in having research roles throughout my career.

No

Reactions: 1 user
You need to upload the syllabi of every class you have ever taken.

Members don't see this ad :)
How chronologically did you guys write your gap year essay?

I just got an email from this school stating that one of my LOR did not sign and add a letterhead. He is fixing it tonight..... feels bad man.

• Sad
I just got an email from this school stating that one of my LOR did not sign and add a letterhead. He is fixing it tonight..... feels bad man.
To any 2020-2021 applicants who might be reading this in January - May of 2020....Get Interfolio. They do a signature/letterhead quality check for you before submission.

I am confused by the letter part of the MSTP application: "Please list the evaluators’ names and contact information below, even if the evaluations will be part of a letter packet." Do they mean research supervisors, or anyone who is writing us a LOR?

I am confused by the letter part of the MSTP application: "Please list the evaluators’ names and contact information below, even if the evaluations will be part of a letter packet." Do they mean research supervisors, or anyone who is writing us a LOR?

In the instructions above, it says they expect letters from research experiences so I interpreted it as just listing research supervisors.

Is anyone else's application still marked incomplete? I submitted my app on the 8th but it says my letters are still missing

Members don't see this ad :)
My letters have been received finally! Anyone still waiting might want to check!

Reactions: 1 users
It took my letters a week and a half to process, don’t worry.

Did it take you that long to get marked complete? My letters were uploaded yesterday, and I submitted the secondary today. Just wondering when my actual complete date is/will be

Did it take you that long to get marked complete? My letters were uploaded yesterday, and I submitted the secondary today. Just wondering when my actual complete date is/will be
You should see something on Monday, methinks. I think they only review them infrequently in the beginning.

The recording of my name doesn't work but I'm ready to submit my app otherwise... I emailed admissions for them to delete it as previous people suggested but I don't really want to wait a week for a response. I'm kind of inclined just to submit as is because it's not a super important part. Do you guys think that's okay or I should wait?

The recording of my name doesn't work but I'm ready to submit my app otherwise... I emailed admissions for them to delete it as previous people suggested but I don't really want to wait a week for a response. I'm kind of inclined just to submit as is because it's not a super important part. Do you guys think that's okay or I should wait?
Do it. Report back with your findings. This can help the 2020-2021 folks reading this next year avoid potential mistakes.

In all honesty, unless your name is something like uonyeek (Unique) or Rrafiall (Raphael) then I feel like the pronunciation part will be inconsequential.

My recording was messed up too but I submitted anyways then emailed them to let them know. They emailed me back saying they deleted it and I had another chance to do the recording even after I submitted it so you should be fine!

Do it. Report back with your findings. This can help the 2020-2021 folks reading this next year avoid potential mistakes.

In all honesty, unless your name is something like uonyeek (Unique) or Rrafiall (Raphael) then I feel like the pronunciation part will be inconsequential.
My recording was messed up too but I submitted anyways then emailed them to let them know. They emailed me back saying they deleted it and I had another chance to do the recording even after I submitted it so you should be fine!

Okay, thank you both for the advice! Submitted now -- will update if anything changes!

My committee letter was received on 7/10, and I submitted the secondary on 7/11. Still not marked complete, and LORs are marked "Not received on the Application Status page. Think I should contact admissions yet?

My committee letter was received on 7/10, and I submitted the secondary on 7/11. Still not marked complete, and LORs are marked "Not received on the Application Status page. Think I should contact admissions yet?
No, it took mine 9 days. Would give it a minute.

Similarly, my Document Status tab says my letters were "Received by Admissions" in mid-June, but they have yet to be "Approved by Admissions Office." I was verified by AMCAS on 6/20 and submitted my WashU secondary 7/6. For those with letters marked as complete, when were you verified/when did you submit your secondary?

I have a similar question. My secondary was submitted on 7/8, and my letters have been on AMCAS since 6/15; does WashU not process letters until after they receive your secondary? Am I in the proper time that I should not be worried about them processing my letters?

I have a similar question. My secondary was submitted on 7/8, and my letters have been on AMCAS since 6/15; does WashU not process letters until after they receive your secondary? Am I in the proper time that I should not be worried about them processing my letters?
Based on the experiences people above have had, seems like you have to wait ~2 weeks after you submit your secondary for letters to be marked by WashU. I'm on day 5 personally

Based on the experiences people above have had, seems like you have to wait ~2 weeks after you submit your secondary for letters to be marked by WashU. I'm on day 5 personally

Really? I got marked complete like immediately after.

This is correct. I believe the delay is due to staff manually verifying each letter is on official letterhead and signed. This may be accomplished faster as the cycle continues.

Okay, thank you both for the advice! Submitted now -- will update if anything changes!
Update: they deleted my original audio file and I was able to redo the recording. It still came out kind of wonky and cuts off really quickly at the end but the first time there was no audio at all so this is better at least lol
For future applicants, they recommend using Chrome or Firefox and I would say also wait an extra second after you finish speaking to press "end"

For the essay that asks about activities while not a full time student, does that include breaks or is it looking more for gap year info? I have stuff for both.

For the essay that asks about activities while not a full time student, does that include breaks or is it looking more for gap year info? I have stuff for both.

I took it to mean gap year info, so I ended up leaving it blank.

I took it to mean “gaps while not a full time student” such as between high school and college, breaks in college, and gap years.

Sorry, I just looked at the question again. To me, it seems like traditional applicants should answer 'No.' However, if you answered 'yes' because of a gap year or some other reason, I don't think it'd be problematic to include activities outside of the gap year.

Yeah, upon further look and consulting my roommate, I think it means all breaks. So I'm doing all of my summer activities plus my gap year stuff.

LORs were received 7/10
Submitted secondary 7/11
Today is the 19th
Friends- email the admissions office, yay or nay?

Submitted secondary 7/7, all letters received by AMCAS 7/10, marked complete today 7/19

LORs were received 7/10
Submitted secondary 7/11
Today is the 19th
Friends- email the admissions office, yay or nay?

Seems like they're getting to 7/7 submits today, maybe wait until next week?

Hey guys, if my AMCAS was verified on July 15th, should I be worried that Wash U didn't send me the secondaries (MSTP) yet?

Has anybody contacted admissions about the class requirements? I am confused/worried about the Calculus requirement. Does it mean I have to take integral and differential equations (upper-level calculus classes that come after cal 1,2,3) or I just have to have a year of calculus with one semester potentially substituted for a semester of stats? I feel like if it is through integral and differential that is kind of a weird requirement that many people wouldn't have unless they are math majors or minors. On the website it says:
Required course work
A minimum of one year or equivalent advanced placement in
  • Biology
  • General or inorganic chemistry
  • Organic chemistry*
  • Physics
  • Calculus through integral and differential equations**
  • ** Statistics can be substituted for one semester of calculus. In selected instances, one or more of these prerequisites may be waived by the Committee on Admissions.

Hey guys, if my AMCAS was verified on July 15th, should I be worried that Wash U didn't send me the secondaries (MSTP) yet?
I was verified 7/11 and have yet to receive one. I called them last week and they said I would get one “soon”.

Does anyone know if they screen before sending out secondaries? I just received mine and was curious!

I was verified 7/11 and have yet to receive one. I called them last week and they said I would get one “soon”.

Thanks! I actually got mine today so hopefully you'll get one soon as well

I submitted my primary on 07/15, received and submitted my secondary on 07/22, was marked complete on 07/24

I submitted about a week ago, letters just came in yesterday afternoon, and marked complete and got an email confirming today.