2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted about a week ago, letters just came in yesterday afternoon, and marked complete and got an email confirming today.
Weird...I never got a confirmation email...My portal says complete, though....

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted about a week ago, letters just came in yesterday afternoon, and marked complete and got an email confirming today.
Do you have something saying they sent a complete email on "commincation status"? Mine only says it under "status" with a green check mark.

Do you have something saying they sent a complete email on "commincation status"? Mine only says it under "status" with a green check mark.

Yup says they sent me an email on 7/24 under communication status.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody contacted admissions about the class requirements? I am confused/worried about the Calculus requirement. Does it mean I have to take integral and differential equations (upper-level calculus classes that come after cal 1,2,3) or I just have to have a year of calculus with one semester potentially substituted for a semester of stats? I feel like if it is through integral and differential that is kind of a weird requirement that many people wouldn't have unless they are math majors or minors. On the website it says:
Required course work
A minimum of one year or equivalent advanced placement in
  • Biology
  • General or inorganic chemistry
  • Organic chemistry*
  • Physics
  • Calculus through integral and differential equations**
  • ** Statistics can be substituted for one semester of calculus. In selected instances, one or more of these prerequisites may be waived by the Committee on Admissions.
I called and asked a few weeks ago because I didn't take any calculus courses in college. They told me that missing one course requirement wouldn't really factor into an admissions decision. You would just have to make up the coursework between the time you're admitted and the time you start classes. So I wouldn't worry about it for now. If you do get accepted, then I would imagine they will provide more specifics on how to fulfill that requirement.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm struggling hard to think of something compelling enough for the "describe a time you failed" essay...probably a sign I should just submit with the other one?

I'm struggling hard to think of something compelling enough for the "describe a time you failed" essay...probably a sign I should just submit with the other one?
Ever failed a class, major exam, research project, a student you were tutoring, didn’t get the job, failed relationship...?

Ever failed a class, major exam, research project, a student you were tutoring, didn’t get the job, failed relationship...?

Ah I completely forgot about the job part, thanks @MemeLord. I probably can't pull out a full 3000 characters on it, but it's an idea to play with and see what happens lol

Don’t do academic failure like class or exam. Too trivial. Other ones are ok.

OP you need to come up with a failure essay since a lot of schools ask for one.

Reactions: 3 users
Don’t do academic failure like class or exam. Too trivial. Other ones are ok.

OP you need to come up with a failure essay since a lot of schools ask for one.

I haven't encountered any yet, or at least out of the schools that I have been working on now, but yes it's always good to have for when I undoubtedly do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, just throwing out suggestions as something is better than nothing.
If it helps, OP, I wrote about a time I failed as a leader and my team was unsuccessful. I think that kind of essay is easy to write about and is gold for leadership introspection.

if i got my secondary on 7/1, how much longer do you guys think i could take to submit? im swamped rn

if i got my secondary on 7/1, how much longer do you guys think i could take to submit? im swamped rn
My non-helpful answer:

As early as you comfortably can. Earlier is always better, but don't submit an unfinished product.

I dont think there's really a hard limit unless specified. I know it's ideally within 2 weeks, but at this point, if you're deciding between a 4-week submit and crap vs. a 5-6 week submit and it's well done, just wait until it's ready

I dont think there's really a hard limit unless specified. I know it's ideally within 2 weeks, but at this point, if you're deciding between a 4-week submit and crap vs. a 5-6 week submit and it's well done, just wait until it's ready
i thought the 2 week turnaround was debunked?

Still marked no letters, though document status shows they've approved all three of the letters I sent.

Stop thinking in terms of "How late can I be in and still be good" and change your world view to "How soon can I be while being good enough?" Not just secondaries - everything. Deadlines are the terminus of when things have be in, not when they should be in.

I dont think it was ever a hard and fast rule that could be debunked in the first place lol. I just like "2 weeks" because it's a good way to keep you moving without feeling too rushed.

The point still stands. Lord of memes already said it, wait until you're happy with your essays and submit, but don't keep them in the oven

When the application asks for "activities," do you think that includes professional and personal activites?

Does anyone else feel crazy applying to schools with a <3% acceptance rating? Is that basically all of them? For WashU last year 4663apps --> 124mats is 2.66%

Does anyone else feel crazy applying to schools with a <3% acceptance rating? Is that basically all of them? For WashU last year 4663apps --> 124mats is 2.66%

It seems like most schools are in the 2-5% range. That’s why you can’t get too attached to getting into any one particular school.

Reactions: 2 users

Also, you’re looking at matriculants, not acceptances. The acceptance rate would be higher given those numbers (although I’m surprised they receive <5000 apps)

Also, you’re looking at matriculants, not acceptances. The acceptance rate would be higher given those numbers (although I’m surprised they receive <5000 apps)
Do you know where to find the number of acceptances?

Do you know where to find the number of acceptances?

General rule of thumb that I've seen quoted around here is 2-3x the number of matriculants for most schools. US News sells a subscription kinda like MSAR that includes acceptance rates, idk how accurate they are.

General rule of thumb that I've seen quoted around here is 2-3x the number of matriculants for most schools. US News sells a subscription kinda like MSAR that includes acceptance rates, idk how accurate they are.

Yeah. I'm not sure how accurate they are. 10% seems really high.

View attachment 273645

Yeah I agree. Then again though, it’s plausible that a school like WashU could have relatively low yield. The students they accept are likely to have multiple acceptances, and would often probably prefer to live in other cities.

Yeah I agree. Then again though, it’s plausible that a school like WashU could have relatively low yield. The students they accept are likely to have multiple acceptances, and would often probably prefer to live in other cities.

Sweet, Mercy. They can all move away. I would love to get in there.

did you all use all 3000 characters for the optional essays?

View attachment 273645

It takes A LOT of money and A LOT of convincing to attract WashU level candidates away from the coasts. I personally have no problem with it, nice, affordable, free zoo. Bad parts of town, but meh everywhere has that. It is a fantastic school, but this very clearly demonstrates that WashU will accept a very large portion of with a high stat applicants. They need to in order to attract enough candidates.

• Sad
hey y'all my letters have all been in since July 1st and it indicates in the portal that the admissions office has received them. submitted my secondary on the 17th, but still marked as incomplete. Advice on what to do?

hey y'all my letters have all been in since July 1st and it indicates in the portal that the admissions office has received them. submitted my secondary on the 17th, but still marked as incomplete. Advice on what to do?
Email them

It says right in the letter you receive after you submit the secondary that "please note that your letters of recommendation will not appear as received until they have been verified to meet the requirements outlined in the application instructions. Please allow 10 business days for processing of application materials." If you submitted 7/17 then today is only day 8.

The secondary instructions say "The supplemental application should be preferably completed within 6 to 8 weeks from your AMCAS application submission." Although this is slightly confusing because they could mean a) from the time you clicked submit on AMCAS or b) from the time WashU received your AMCAS application.

To all wondering whether the "failure" essay is truly optional, I'm going to apply without it. I have very high stats so we'll see if that can make up for it.
Not the hero we needed...or wanted...or um. Thanks

Reactions: 5 users
Marked complete just now.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how Wash U screens for the intial cut before sending out secondaries? Do they screen out appllcants with a cumulative GPA lower than their 25%tile or do they screen based on a combination of GPA and MCAT score?

Does anyone know how Wash U screens for the intial cut before sending out secondaries? Do they screen out appllcants with a cumulative GPA lower than their 25%tile or do they screen based on a combination of GPA and MCAT score?
How would screening at their 25% make sense...? Then they wouldn’t have a 25%....

• Haha
How would screening at their 25% make sense...? Then they wouldn’t have a 25%....

Unless they screen out the <25th%ile from every prior years applicants' stats, which explains why they now have a mean MCAT of 527.9 and GPA of 3.99...

• Haha
Yeah doesn't make sense for current year but I've read here that they do use GPA and MCAT for a cut off so what does WashU use or is it top secret intel stuff no one really knows?

Yeah doesn't make sense for current year but I've read here that they do use GPA and MCAT for a cut off so what does WashU use or is it top secret intel stuff no one really knows?
Would these supposed cut-offs be used to determine who gets a secondary or who gets an interview invite?

Within the secondary, if you mentioned the name of the school, how did you call it?
The full name is quite long....